Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels - Superstar Components hubs?

I've been riding on a set of Open Pros with 105 hubs for the past couple of years (32F/36R) but I'm now after a new set. I'm about 3 stone lighter (pretty much 14st now) since I bought the Mavics from Harry Rowland.

They've been bombproof - I've only trued them once! But I'm looking for something a bit flashy and with a slightly deeper profile (if the freewheel makes a nice noise that's a bonus too...)

There's a set on Superstar Components at the moment that look like a great deal for the money:

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pacenti-forza-icon-ultra-28h-wheel...

Other than splashing out another £100 or so for a set of Hunts or even more for some Ksyriums, does anyone have any experience with the Pacenti rims and Icon hubs? I've had Switch hubs on my MTB and they were spot on.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

rmushet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Interesting about the issues with Hunt... I'm almost tempted to give the Pacenti rims a go as they are the newer version, not the older ones that seemed prone to cracking issues. Those new Open Pros look very tidy, similar to some of their factory builds, but I want to get new wheels bedded in before I do the Revolve at Brands Hatch in September.

A very close inspection of the Superstar hubs on arrival and a full tune from my LBS should be enough to put my mind at rest, surely?

velochris replied to rmushet | 6 years ago
0 likes

rmushet wrote:

Interesting about the issues with Hunt... I'm almost tempted to give the Pacenti rims a go as they are the newer version, not the older ones that seemed prone to cracking issues. Those new Open Pros look very tidy, similar to some of their factory builds, but I want to get new wheels bedded in before I do the Revolve at Brands Hatch in September.

A very close inspection of the Superstar hubs on arrival and a full tune from my LBS should be enough to put my mind at rest, surely?

The SL23 is no longer made and has been replaced with the Forza. It is slightly heavier but that may be a good thing to address the weaknesses of the SL23 v1. A further positive is that you can get an offset rim for the rear. 

I have a 32/28 set built with Bikehubstore 210g rear and 85g hubs. They may even be the same hubs you are referring to. Also built with Sapim CX Ray. Actual weight excluding skewers and rim tape is 1600g . Been using all summer without any problems.

I am going to build a set of the new OpenPros though when I get chance to see how that rim compares.

All that said, the best rim I built with and rode was the Hed Belgium Plus but they are expensive.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd look no further than the new Mavic Open Pro rims and ask Harry to build them.  Okay, whilst Pacenti/Hunt/H+Son have been making wider rims for a while, they're 'new tech' for Mavic.  But this probably masks an extended trialling period.  The rims are wider, they're deeper section, and lighter than the current Open Pros - and the max spoke count is 32 these days.  As soon as I can get my hands on a set (they're out in September, I think) ... They also look very cool. 

The issue with Ksyriums and other factory-built wheels (I'm looking at my Shamals!) are the non-standard spokes manufacturers use, which - if they do go wrong - can leave you waiting for spares.  The Open Pros take standard spokes.   On hubs,  Chris Kings R45s sound great - but are unecessarily expensive - and need constant servicing / adjustment.  My next wheelset will have Dura Ace or Record, depending on which bike they are for... No need to spend more than this.  

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

"There is a recognised problem with the Pacenti SL23 and they did refund postage. "

The problem with Ver 1 or Ver 2 rims? Since 2015, I've been spinning on Pacenti SL23 Ver 2's  laced with Sapim Cx-Ray (20/24) to White Industries T11 hubs. That's over 5,600 km with zero issues.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

Out of the two, if you can afford the Hunts, I'd go for them. Haven't heard a negative word about them so far, which is unbelievably rare within my massive and diverse group of cycling associates.

There is a recognised problem with the Pacenti SL23 and they did refund postage. I was just annoyed about paying for the other rim. Freehub noise is a light tick - nothing special. I do wish I'd never bought the wheels though - I just don't have 100% faith in them, despite doing a fair few miles. 

imajez replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Out of the two, if you can afford the Hunts, I'd go for them. Haven't heard a negative word about them so far, which is unbelievably rare within my massive and diverse group of cycling associates

A friend just returned some Hunt wheels because of various problems and I seem to recall others including reviewers commenting  about having issues so crossed them off my list.

As for Pacentis, I have some Jawbone disc wheels from JRA which are built with SL25 rims and get ridden with 28mm road tyres on really rough Peak District terrain and they are awesome. I've felt  the rims on way too many times to count and they are still fine and dandy. So can very highly recommend them.
They are offer at moment so even better, maybe I can convince other half to get me another pair for my birthday.  1

rmushet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks dottigirl. That certainly puts me off those rims... Maybe it's just worth holding out to buy a set of Hunts.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

Yep. I have a badly scarred Icon hub which they didn't replace when the wheel was returned due to the Pacenti SL23 rim being cracked in several places. Had to pay the cost of getting the other rim to match the new one too. I'm using the replacement rims now, but I have a feeling I'll struggle to get the cassette off.

Latest Comments