Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Long distance bib shorts/fluo/reflective jersey for night rides.

Hello All,

I have a big dilema. Three months ago I tried to cycle 200miles in Austria and Czech Republc on flatbar cross bike with panniers, but just after 86miles I had to withdraw, because of shorts I used. My bum was sore and could not sit any longer despite I used Assos creme( Last year I did 125miles with Lidl's shorts on and same bike and had no problem, but had to replace shorts for this season). I used Decathlon 900 bib shorts at that time. In three weeks time I want to give another try and thinking of getting different pair of bib shorts that will be more comfortable. I read articles and reviews on road.cc, but I am confused and lost at the same time. Route in Austria and Czech Republic is 100% tarmac(56% hills/44% flatish) I allow myself around 20hours with all breaks. 

Can you give me some advice, which bib shorts would suit me? Budget is no more than £80.

I am also looking for good fluo/reflective jersey. Three months ago it was chilli out there and used my Proviz jacket that kept me safe when cycling at night and I must say it worked perfectly well. Unfortunatelly this time it will be too warm to use it and looking for good jersey that will keep me safe at night. Again budget is no more than £60.

To be honest ideally I would not like to spend more, because I have no time to do such long distances apart when being on holiday. I asked few shops for advice, but I am not fully convinced, if they want to sell me something that they have to sell, because it is in stock,etc. rather than order something different.

Thank you for your advice!

BK

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

bartkwiat | 6 years ago
0 likes

Perfect I will check those shorts. Decathlon shorts I have do not have enough of ventilation in my opinion despite holes. I will check other things you all mention and thank you for your help.

I have 2 off modified Convoy S2+ torches to the front and two lights to the back with 2 x 0.5W leds, but wanted to improve my clothing visibility and get different pair of shorts.

I do have bright green overshoes and will get something reflective for legs when it stays dry.

ChasP replied to bartkwiat | 6 years ago
0 likes

bartkwiat wrote:

Perfect I will check those shorts. Decathlon shorts I have do not have enough of ventilation in my opinion despite holes. I will check other things you all mention and thank you for your help.

I've got several pairs of Decathlon shorts and actually prefer the padding on the 500 range for that reason, I find it breathes a lot better and is just as comfortable. I agree with a previous comment though that comfort is as much/more down to finding the right saddle.

ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

Respro ankle bands.  Fluro yellow for the day, flip them over at night for the 3M scotch lite side.  Bit pricey, but last for ages and you can wear them with whatever shorts or leggings you have.

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 on reflective kit for the legs or shoes or pedals. The movement catches your eye. I'd get comfy shorys not reflective ones.

As to a jersey you can get light weight mesh reflective gilets - so any Jersey can be reflective.

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 on reflective kit for the legs or shoes or pedals. The movement catches your eye. I'd get comfy shorys not reflective ones.

As to a jersey you can get light weight mesh reflective gilets - so any Jersey can be reflective.

Fluffed | 6 years ago
0 likes

Can recommend Sportful shorts for value & performance for long distances,  anything with their TC or TC Pro pad in, can usually be had for <80 (check euro sites like bike.inn as well, Wiggle will pricematch most of them) . Got several pairs and they are my go to shorts (have Castelli Free Aeros and various dhbs that are relgated to turbo or backup duty now).

For the reflective, get a light reflective/ hi viz gillet, to whip out as needs be?

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
4 likes

A few years back I did the London to Paris with 3 hours warning to replace a drop out rider. Pretty much the first order of business on day 2 was to go to the nearest Decathlon store and buy a comfier saddle. I suggest that if you are suffering with rear end discomfort that this is where you start, even a good pair of shorts is not going to fix a fundamentally uncomfortable saddle.

Mrs M bought me a Gore Windstopper softshell jacket that is my go to outergarment for daily commuting and weekend club rides where showers or cold weather are expected. It is a splendid flouro yellow with black contrast and reflective panels and it is highly conspicuous in the environments and times that I ride, being light urban / rural daytime and dusk or even quite dark during the winter. I have used it over the last 3 years pretty much daily except during the summer. It always scrubs up well and really is a great piece of kit. When it gets really cold I add base layers, when it gets really wet I add a waterproof outer layer.

If visibility is a concern, then flouro / hi viz is not necessarily the best or only way to make yourself stand out. Whilst there is little readily available research into something that would seem obvious to anyone with much real world experience as a road user, I did come across the following that you might find of interest.

http://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3627&context=...

Summary graph attached in case you don't want to read the detail.

My take on this is that no single approach covers all conditions. What may be hi viz in one environment may be camouflage in another. For example if you were riding the Alaskan ice highway in a light mist, then black clothing might be the way to go. Flouro and stand out colours may work well during daylight but at night reflectives are better. Anything that tracks biomovement such as pedal reflectors are actually quite good. I use 3M reflective tape on the leading and trailing edges of my cranks. Above all, road positioning and awareness of other road users will increase your presence. Flashy v steady lights is another argument, if I was planning a long ride after dusk then I would take 2 lights, have one of each and leave the arguments about which is best to the internet forum experts.

Sounds like an adventure, have fun and safe travels.

bartkwiat | 6 years ago
1 like

I cycle to/from work nearly 60miles per day, so have some time to test. I have around 80km to do on very busy road with no shoulder/roadside and want to increase my own safety. My Proviz jacket is useless from morning twilight and it will be too hot to use it anyway, so thought about something fluorescent and so I could use for my summer runs up here too. I pass one cyclist in such fluo/high viz jersey occasionally and I can see him from a very long distance early in the morning, but pass him from opposite side, so no chance to ask what he wears.

I have reflective spoke clips and will get tape as per your advice too.I may look like lit Christmas tree on that day, but had few accidents in the past and want safely do my route without any issues.

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

Ummmm, 3 weeks out and you're trying to find new shorts? Wear the ones you've been training in, as it would seem they haven't given you any problems. 

And yeah, Hi Viz is a great idea, because black garments were never a great idea on a dark road. Of course, one could debate that prime position on a dark road in dark clothing is a great idea, but one would be an idiot.

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
2 likes

Buy reflective tape. Then clothing less of an issue. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Focus on buying garments that actually work without the price tag for extras that don't do anything, I don't see any research/evidence that proves static reflectives/hi-vis works, I don't wear it never have in 30+ years of road cycling eith in the UK or continent. good lights/good road position are massively more important for night time riding. If you want, wear a reflective leg band or reflective stickers on the heels of your shoe, the movement might help.

personally I use a polaris jersey, I absolutely love it but it is more for cooler summer evenings/night time with a thin base layer so depends on what your base layers are/how warm or cold you are generally and temperatures on any given day.

Castelli are usually pretty good, these seem a decent price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CASTELLI-PROLOGO-V-LONG-SLEEVE-JERSEY-L-Black-...

Shorts wise I bought a pair of Assos shorts  afew years ago, expensive but really very very good, i have others but the Assos are preferred, though to be honest when i use my tourer/audax I have a brooks Swift and I can wear a pair of ordinary cotton shorts and ride for miles on that.

All that said Nalini and Castelli do some good bibs, if you hunt around you can fins some 'new with tags' on ebay/cycle forums.

Latest Comments