Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin 500 condensation issue?

Good morning,

I have just found my Garmin 500 which i have had for a year and a half in the damp basement.

It has condesation on the inside of the screen. It still turns on, acquires satalites and charges I can tell from the beeps and lights when charging, yet there is nothing visible on the screen?

Has anyone else suffered this and any solutions will be gratefully recieved.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

mancsi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Rice and the airing cupboard it shall be!

Thanks

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

After losing the little bung on the back, mine got condensation inside after a really wet ride. I took  down to a computer shop, got them to take the back off, left it in the airing cupboard for a few days and it started up just fine. However, next time it happened, it stopped uploading to the computer, so I got rid of it.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 6 years ago
0 likes

I left my 800 on top of the PC monitor for a day when it got properly soaked and the usb flap hadn't kept it all out. The usb port had stopped working but it didn't have condensation inside though. It got good and warm, and hasn't skipped a beat since.

Maybe a few warm/cool/warm/cool cycles to let it "breath" a bit?

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

sounds like its f**ked. If a stint in a cup of rice in a warm airing cupboard doesn't do the trick, get a replacement via garmin. I've replaced several garmin 500's in my time, if its outside of warranty they'll give to a replacement for near cost price (£60/£70ish)

Latest Comments