Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon Bike on Turbo Trainer

Good evening all,

First time poster here and I'm hoping some of you can help me out with a query. I recently purchased a brand new carbon road bike and last night, used it on a turbo trainer for about 3 hours.

During this time, 95% was spent at the lowest gradient setting and I was just spinning normally. I noticed the bike was very gently rocking from side to side but just put this down to the natural movements of my legs turning the pedals.

On three occasions, I spun the pedals (whilst being sat down) as fast as I could. This resulted in the bike moving side to side a bit more noticeably - which is no surprise. I only maintained this intensity for around 20-30 seconds and then it was a case of going back to the normal regular cadence.

After I had packed everthing away, I saw a friend and mentioned that I was using my turbo trainer with my new carbon bike. He seemed horrified and said that I should never use a carbon frame on a turbo trainer.

I took to the internet and from what I've read, I am now extremely worried that evening during the reletively short use, I have damaged my frame and may have caused it to stress and develop hairline cracks that aren't visible to the naked eye. This has now tainted my experience of the bike and I've just taken it out on the road for half an hour to see whether anything feels different.

Turns out, things feel the same as they did before and needless to say, my carbon bike won't ever go on the turbo trainer again. I feel a little angry at myself for not checking this before I used it on the trainer but it was a simple case of not even realising that it would be an issue.

I didn't ever stand upright on the bike to pedal or sprint. The only time I put pressure on the pedals without sitting down was when I got on the bike at the start.

Can anyone tell me whether I am being stupid and worrying too much, or whether I may well have a genuine concern on my hands and that I could have compromised my new bike through a few hours of use?

I've read plenty of other forum posts where people say they've used turbo trainers with carbon bikes 'for years' and never had any problems. I won't be doing it again that's for sure.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Martyn_K | 6 years ago
1 like

I'll leave this link here.

http://veloism.co.uk/team-sky-training-camp/

Basically showing Team Sky and their bikes shackled to turbo trainers. The bikes are used in the racing too, connfirmed by the race number plates being on the frames. 

Nothing to worry about as long as you don't try and swing the bike about when out of the saddle.

OrangeRidley | 6 years ago
0 likes

It should be fine. If you search "can I use my carbon bike on a turbo gcn" the top video is useful. It basically says thatch talked to some large bike manufacturers (canyon etc) and they all said it was fine to do.

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Been using cheap chinese carbon in my Bkool with no problems. You'd like to think something more expensive could take it. 

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Ive used my Boardman CXR bike on my Kickr for 2 years with over 3000 miles.  Bikes do flex under power, but as long as your trainer is solid and doesnt fall over you're good to go.   If you're really worried buy a cheap alloy frame bike and leave it on the trainer.  My mates trainer bike has been on so long the head stock has rusted solid from sweat, hahaha

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

Multiple tests have been done on carbon frames in turbo trainers and shown no negative effects. The side to side movement (depending on your turbo trainer) is almost certainly flex in the trainer. Go ahead, use your carbon frame in the trainer, knowing that many major manufacturers cover this use in warranty. 

barongreenback | 6 years ago
1 like

Search function is on the top right  3

http://road.cc/content/feature/216681-it-okay-use-your-bike-turbo-trainer

I think this one is a bit like the roof rack debate.  As long as you're not pushing it to extremes, then you'll probably be fine.  That said, I'm in the market for a turbo at the moment and I think I'll be sticking my aluminium frame winter bike on it rather than my carbon frame.  Although part of the consideration is being too tight to pay extra for thru axle adapters!

Daz333 replied to barongreenback | 6 years ago
0 likes

barongreenback wrote:

As long as you're not pushing it to extremes, then you'll probably be fine.

Thanks for all your responses so far. When you say pushing it to extremes, what exactly do you mean? I'm hoping that my 40-50mph sprints (albeit for seconds) haven't done any damage  2

madcarew replied to Daz333 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Daz333 wrote:

barongreenback wrote:

As long as you're not pushing it to extremes, then you'll probably be fine.

Thanks for all your responses so far. When you say pushing it to extremes, what exactly do you mean? I'm hoping that my 40-50mph sprints (albeit for seconds) haven't done any damage  2

Again, using carbon bikes on turbo trainers is fine. It is deeply unlikely that you have done any damage to it. I used mine on the turbo last year numerous times doing 1 min intervals at 150 - 160 rpm and 800 - 900W. It's a cannondale evo. It is fine. Yours will be too. Mine clamps to the quick release. Look at the article that Barongreenback linked to.

Latest Comments