Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rollers?

Hi all, im looking at getting a set of rollers, i have had a turbo trainer before but it was cheap and noisey and had to return as it was faulty. 

Main reason for rollers are they are quiet and no need to change the rear tyre out when using it. 

Is this correct ? 

Can anyone suggest any rollers and and advice on them,  using them etc. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Diggery | 6 years ago
1 like

When my boy was tiny I got my wife a turbo and she got me rollers! We set up a TV and 18" fan and use them when the other is out and the boy in bed.

I like the rollers and can't stick the turbo.
Some kind of entertainment is needed. I watch bikes or Motocross and 'race' along with them.
Headcam footage messes with your balance!
The fan is louder than the rollers.
Tyres are ok. They wear a bit but also polish up on the rollers giving impression of wear but think it's mostly tyre cleaning. My rear has a small flat on it now after about 1500 miles, maybe 300 or so on the rollers.
I can do no handed now, and smooth out of the saddle efforts. Good 'fun'.

Sadly Biggins | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have the CycleOps aluminium rollers (expensive but Wiggle have them on sale from time to time) and they are reasonably quiet.  I prefer them over a turbo trainer as you really have to concentrate when riding on them and they do help improve your pedalling technique.  You can go pretty hard on them during intervals but not out of the saddle and not to the point where you are so spent that you find it difficult to concentrate as you will come off.

Must haves for me are a rubber mat for the rollers to sit on - this will help damp the noise - and as powerful a fan as you can get.  Using something like Trainerroad will make training very productive but you will sweat massively.  The fan helps reduce that.   I keep a hand towel over the headset to stop sweat getting into it too.   As don simon says, rollers will round off the tread on your tyres but they won't knacker them in short order like a turbo trainer would.

There's lots of videos on YouTube about using rollers so it would be good to check them out.  Starting in a doorway for the first few times is good as it limits the chances of falling off.  I have been using rollers for a couple of years but still have something to hold on to on my right hand side (a chair with its back facing me) just for starting/stopping and the odd occasion where attention wanders and a swift correction is needed.  Make sure any adjustment of the handlebars is limited because any movement becomes exaggerated when at speed.

abusivemonk | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought some elite arion digital rollers. They are fairly quiet. Took me about 3 sessions of 30 mins to get proficient in them. They have the added advantage of being electronically controlled, so you can use them with trainer road/swift if you're that way inclined.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The latest Neo from Tacx are extremely quiet.  Best rated for super smooth drive.  Ive a few friends who have them and say the chain on the bike is the noisiest item, so the Neo is  quiet.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

My rollers (Minoura) can be quite noisy (bearings) and road tyres have squared off and bike needed dried sweat surgery- so keep the bike clean.

Otherwise I love them as I tend not to get bored when riding them, I hate turbo trainers.

jellybeanphotog... replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

My rollers (Minoura) can be quite noisy (bearings) and road tyres have squared off and bike needed dried sweat surgery- so keep the bike clean.

Otherwise I love them as I tend not to get bored when riding them, I hate turbo trainers.

thanks for your reply and thanks for your opinon i will take a look into these. 

jellybeanphotog... | 6 years ago
0 likes

Forgot to add, reason for looking into them is i want to get wome extra miles in when im at home when my daughter is asleep. 

Hope this helps. 

Latest Comments