Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Unior BB90 tool alternative to Park Tool for bb86 removal?

Replacing a bb86 type bottom bracket for the first time, and rather than use Park Tool's BB90 to hammer out the bearings and cups I like the look of Unior's BB90 extractor as it looks like there would be less chance of me damaging anything. However I fear the tool would only extract the bearings and not the cups, am I wrong to think that? Is it even possible to pop out the bearings but not cups on a shimano press fit BB86?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Unior-Tool-For-Removing-Bottom-Bracket-BB90-162...

It's actually about £30 on PBK. I don't need the bushings that come with the Park Tool. tool.

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

longassballs | 6 years ago
1 like

Fully agree with you. Thought I could be missing something due to inexperience. I asked how the tool removed the cups on the video but Unior just referred me to the presumably Slovenian-English passage I pasted here.

part_robot, I think Hambini only deals with 30mm bb's amd conversion to 34mm spindle.

Unfortunately all mute as a driver decided to turn across me without braking, cutting a corner, crossing the lane and hitting me head on at 30mph. Still, no bones broken and admitted full liabilty. Just gotta battle for a new bike now...

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

I strongly recommend hambini.com for all bearing needs. The guy sells very well made and affordable tools and has been extremely accommodating with my various custom requests. Has a good YouTube channel too.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just use a flat punch and tap around bearing at 12 O'clock then 6 then 9, 3 keep going bearing will come out no damage or expensive tools. Refitting use large bolt/nut with big washers, you can also use the old bearing to keep even pressure

0 likes

Well that's what I thought, thanks. I have actually seen that video but the literature does explicitly say it removes the cups.

This tool is designed to remove the non-threaded bottom bracket bearings and cups of the BB90 bottom bracket system. It also supports other press fit standards with 24mm spindle, such as BB86, BB92, SRAM Press Fit GXP. The removal tool will pull the bearings & cup from the frame. Carefully insert the guide head of removal tool trough the bottom bracket cup (marked green).

VeloUSA replied to longassballs | 6 years ago
0 likes

longassballs wrote:

Well that's what I thought, thanks. I have actually seen that video but the literature does explicitly say it removes the cups.

This tool is designed to remove the non-threaded bottom bracket bearings and cups of the BB90 bottom bracket system. It also supports other press fit standards with 24mm spindle, such as BB86, BB92, SRAM Press Fit GXP. The removal tool will pull the bearings & cup from the frame. Carefully insert the guide head of removal tool trough the bottom bracket cup (marked green).

I read that too. My Specy has Shimano cups measuring 11mm thick x 50mm diameter. The video didn't satisfy me with the ability to pull cups along with a bearing, especially with a short bolt and the tool barely covering the BB hole. With cups usually larger than BB holes I just don't see how they can be removed with this tool. But that's just my opinion and I may be wrong. What I couldn't locate were Unior specifications on the tools depth and width/diameter. Perhaps you can.

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
1 like

"I fear the tool would only extract the bearings and not the cups"

Unfortunately it is a yes, it is designed to only remove the bearing not the bearing AND cup. The Unior bearing removal bolt is not long enough to compensate for the added cup length. This YouTube video shows @ 0:11 the length of the bolt and @ 0:15 hand tightening the retaining nut with two turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBJB5ZoKYw

0 likes

//assets.probikeshop.fr/images/products2/645/125714/600x600-125714-125714-main.jpg)

That's what it looks like

Latest Comments