Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Creaking PF30 - New spindle needed?

I have an issue with a creaking Chris King PF30 BB. It's been in a long time and it's worked fine and creak free until recently.

I've taken the crank spindle out and it's indented where the bearings interface with it - on the Chris King BB there is a hard plastic cup that fits over the bearing and accepts the spindle, rather than the spindle being in direct contact with the bearings.

There is a small but definite lip to where the indent is. A couple of photo's are here:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxxeTmvKEGujI5KlJuuaiQFAKrKoA

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxxeTmvKEGujI5LvkwlvD2T3PTQ3A

Do you think it would be a good idea to replace the spindle and see if this fixes the creak? I can see them online for £35.

Any advice appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

lexi090 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I do think it is a good idea to replace the spindle . After all, you have degreased and regrease all washers. By the way, £35 is a good price.

Shav | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Anthony, thanks for the tip. With the Chris King PF-30 the cups are alloy and not plastic. I decided after going through a couple of plastic ones to try the Chris King one and it's had a lot of miles in it. I am going to try a couple of new sleeves as next step.

Out of interest, has anyone taken out a Chris King PF-30 and re-installed it? In case the seating in the BB might be the culprit. I know the plastic ones are treated as disposable, but the CK one should be good for more than one install?

Anthony.C | 6 years ago
0 likes

With pf-30 it's usually the plastic cups that contain the bearings that cause the creaking I.M.E. The next thing to try if greasing the spindle does not work is just pinching them up a little with a press and the BB -30 press bushings. It worked for me recently, I tightened the cups slightly and I have done another one and a half thousand miles creak free. 

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Anthony.C | 6 years ago
0 likes

Anthony.C wrote:

With pf-30 it's usually the plastic cups that contain the bearings that cause the creaking I.M.E. The next thing to try if greasing the spindle does not work is just pinching them up a little with a press and the BB -30 press bushings. It worked for me recently, I tightened the cups slightly and I have done another one and a half thousand miles creak free. 

Usually, yes... and I would absolutely agree with you.

This is different ball game though - Chris King bottom bracket and Cannondale Hollowgram chainset.

The more I look at it the more I think the spindle might be toast. If only I could run a fingernail over it... Lol

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cool... that makes a difference.

If you've already serviced the bearings then it'll almost certainly be the sleeve and/or spindle. (I'm assuming you're happy that the bearings themselves are fine)

I'd try a new sleeve on the existing spindle and if it's tight going on, test run it. If it goes on relatively easily, it's new spindle time.

The fact that these parts are readily available sets them out as consumables, so it's just a case of working out which consumables you need!

You could of course just replace them all and be done with it but I'd try the old spindle with a new sleeve to aid diagnosis the next time.

Shav | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the ideas. I have degreased and regreased all washers, etc and regreased the bearings with the Chris King tool very recently and it's still creaking.

Interesting point on the plastic bushing as the first time I took the spindle out it was hard to remove and needed a tap out but last time it came out with a firm push. So might be some wear there.

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

As Leeroy_Silk says, get some grease in there, it may simply be a case of cleaning and greasing the whole assembly. By this I mean the bearings and any shields, covers or washers. You can then readjust the preload to take up any slop in the bearings.

BUT... whilst I'd start there, my next port of call would be the plastic spindle sleeves. These basically act as bushes and will therefore wear out.

Looking at the wear on the non-drive side, I'd say that it's significant. The spindle sleeve has probably worn very slightly and some grit has got in and accelerated that wear. That will eventually introduce play and... noise. I would expect to see some heavy scoring on the inside of the left side sleeve.

The sleeves are replaceable and are a tenner each. You should get some more miles out of the spindle.

Leeroy_Silk | 6 years ago
0 likes

The spindle seems an unlikely source of the creak, the usual source of BB30 creaks are where the bearings mount in the frame. 

To rule the spindle in or out as source I'd apply some grease to the spindle contact point and see if the creak persists. 

Latest Comments