Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to improve frame appearance

Hi there,

Just looking for any possible ways to make this frame look a bit less like a garden gate, ideally by reducing (or reducing the appearance of) the exceptionally long head tube (22cm). Since this pic was taken, I've removed the spacers. Anyone think it would be possible to lop a centimetre or so off the top and bottom of the headtube itself, or find a lower stack headset?

Is it even possible to get someone to remove the top tube, cut down the headtube and replace the top tube at closer to horizontal? Would a fatter fork improve the appearance?

It's a half decent, hand built Columbus Life frame, cost me about £1,100.00 but I've just never liked the appearance of the long headtube much.

Any suggestions welcome!

//farm5.staticflickr.com/4131/35373895100_aaea9643b3_k.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

What does it ride like?  If  it's comfortable, why bother?  I think I would only replace stuff to improve the ride quality - anything else is a waste of money IF  you don't like the frame.  I changed the stem, seatpost and handlebars on my Litespeed (from a Bontrager/ITM/Easton mix) to Thomson: looks better, obviously - but rides much better as the front end is stiffer.  Probably wouldn't have done it otherwise as its GBP400 to replace stuff I already had....

drjohn | 6 years ago
1 like

Nothing wrong with the headtube if you can go up and down again. I'd say the problem is the yawning chasm between the bars and the front wheel that makes it look more like a tourer than a racer. The silver stem / post combo don't work for me either, I'd go black where possible or get them hi-gloss powdercoated to match the frame colour.

Assuming that you can easily get into a lower position, get a zero stack headset (e.g. Cane Creek 40 series) and a -17 degree stem to lower the front end and bring the drops back down towards the wheel.

JonPLC replied to drjohn | 6 years ago
0 likes

drjohn wrote:

Nothing wrong with the headtube if you can go up and down again. I'd say the problem is the yawning chasm between the bars and the front wheel that makes it look more like a tourer than a racer. The silver stem / post combo don't work for me either, I'd go black where possible or get them hi-gloss powdercoated to match the frame colour.

Assuming that you can easily get into a lower position, get a zero stack headset (e.g. Cane Creek 40 series) and a -17 degree stem to lower the front end and bring the drops back down towards the wheel.

Thanks for this, I had been looking at the Crank Brothers Opium C Reducer headset in black, but it has a total stack height of 20.5mm and weighs 155g, compared to the Cane Creek's 12mm and 88g! Take your points about the stem and the colours.

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

One of my complaints from bike manufacturers is that they don't make many road bikes with tall headtubes, as this is what the majority of riders really need. What I see here is a very smart geometry and a very nice paintjob. Should you mess with the frame you will end up with dubious results in terms of strength and safety and should you mess with multiple color paint schemes you may end up with a clown between your legs. I totally understand the need for a beatiful bike and if you want to achieve that you could change the chainset and the bar tape to something more classic, as a steel bike has to be a little classic. I really like this frame, please don't destroy it!

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

Just ride it rather than looking at it from afar.  Presumably it works for you - so who cares what it looks like ?  It's a bike - not a flower arrangement. 

JonPLC replied to fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

fenix wrote:

Just ride it rather than looking at it from afar.  Presumably it works for you - so who cares what it looks like ?  It's a bike - not a flower arrangement. 

I was wondering how long it would take for the 'just ride it' comment to crop up and grateful that it has taken so long. The fact is, I care what it looks like and I don't much care for how it looks! I ride it more or less every day despite the fact that the appearance of the head tube has irked me since it was delivered. I just don't *get* the notion that a bike is a purely utalitarian object about which aesthetic considerations have no value!

Darkhairedlord | 6 years ago
1 like

Melt it down and cut your losses.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Show us again when you've made the changes?

alan sherman | 6 years ago
1 like

Get a a stem that matches the slope of the top tube.  The angles jar to my eye.

Also why is your saddle so far forward on the rails?  I reckon a shorter stem is probaly in order too.

JonPLC | 6 years ago
1 like

Haha, yes, it is a PMP XP-Road crankset - a bit of a rarity. It was supposed to 'match' the PMP headset and hubs, all of which were acquired a great expense, but I agree, in hindsight the crankset's not the prettiest (not is the headset but I wanted somethingdfiferent from the standard CHris King)! I agree, the black finishing kit gives the whole thing a more aggressive, racy appearance. Thanks for the picture!

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Start with black bar tape and some better shaped less angular bars. Or cut your losses and convert to a flat bar hybrid. That might distract from the frame.

Also, what's that minging crankset? Throw it away and get some Campag cranks if you're running campag, you scamp!  3

Here's my suggestion (excuse my woeful photoshop skillz):

//img2.brain3.photobox.com/23743082863c3e04d03faea80c11b865352c1c03838a8b01b968f68e91114fc5dcb155dd.jpg)

dottigirl | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yeah, a full paint job could help.

You could experiment with a few strips of electrical tape first though - I was going to suggest stripes - a couple of strips wrapped around the head tube to break the silhouette up. 5 different colours for a quid in Poundland, so get creative!

Or try a roll of pink with highlights on other parts of the bike e.g. seat tube. 

JonPLC | 6 years ago
0 likes

When I briefed the builder, I had both different intentions for the frame, and a pretty low (and it turns out, inaccurate) estimation of my flexibility. However, regarding the paint job, I now see what Cannondale, Giant, etc are doing with their two tone schemes, especially round the headtube area:

pockstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm in agreement with madcarew. Black tape and a black stem, maybe even a black seatpost would be a cheap if merely  cosmetic improvement. If it fits, ( and I presume it was custom built for you, not somebody else) then I'd leave the frame well alone.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure some Dazzle camouflage will do the trick

https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/dazzle-painting-ship.j...

Al__S | 6 years ago
0 likes

Surely any physical alteration should only be done if it improves fit? How's your position? Would lowering the front end do horrible things to your body?

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
4 likes

A set of riser bars may distract attention from the massive headtube.

JonPLC | 6 years ago
0 likes

I really like the paint idea, I hadn't thought of that at all. I have changed the bar tape (twice) since the pic was taken but it is now..erm...bright pink so perhaps not entirely inconspicuous...

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

Or, alternatively, a clever paint job will go a long way to hide it. For instance if seat stays are painted black / dark grey and the tubes a light colour it looks as if the rear stays aren't there. A friend has a cannondale with a kind of pinstriping on the seat stays that make them look impossible thin, and the down tube has black starting at the top of the down tube gradually widening until it's the full width of the down dube at the bottom brakcet. All in black and white. It makes the bike look a lot lot lighter and sleeker. A clever paint job on your bike could for sure disguise the tall head tube

If it's aesthetics you're after, changing the red handle bar tape will go a long way to taking attention away from the rather 'heavy' looking front end.

JonPLC | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hey - thanks for your comments...I tend to agree!

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

Agree with the above, conservatively you're probably looking at around £400-450 and upwards for that kind of work. The frame Welshboy linked to looks like an absolute corker (I've been looking at it myself).

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
3 likes

A good frame builder could cut the head tube down and level the top tube but it would probably cost you about the same price as a new frame.  I would suggest putting your money towards a new frame, one with a horizontal top tube. Lift the nose of your saddle slightly so it is level (might have to drop the seat pin slightly) and move your shifters up on the bars a bit too, both will improve the look of the bike considerably.  Alternatively, enjoy the ride and dont worry about the look.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOCO/holdsworth-competition-frameset

Latest Comments