Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrade from a Giant Defy 4

Looking for recommendations for an upgrade from a Giant Defy 4 on the basis the best bike is the next one I buy!  Mainly for the commute to work during the week, and 50-60k rides at the weekend.  Preferably able to fit a rack for panniers for my work gear.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went for the Pinnacle Dolomite 6 in the end.  Thanks for the advice.

rdmp2 replied to dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest - how do you find the dolomite?

dmack wrote:

dmack replied to rdmp2 | 6 years ago
1 like

rdmp2 wrote:

Out of interest - how do you find the dolomite?

dmack wrote:

Pretty good.  The gear change is very smooth compared to the Defy.  And I love the hydraulic brakes.  I'm pleased I got it.

dmack | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the feedback folks  1

gonedownhill | 6 years ago
1 like

Kinesis 4S disc maybe a good option if you fancy building your own up.

Also:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-there-a-bike-better-at-being-...

Woldsman replied to gonedownhill | 6 years ago
1 like

gonedownhill wrote:

Kinesis 4S disc maybe a good option if you fancy building your own up...

As a one-bike option with £1.5 to play with that would be an ideal bike IMHO.  I did have a look at the Crosslight 105 2x 11 build kit but it wasn't clear that it would all work with the 4S  disc. Of course, there are plenty of  other ways to go with that frameset if we're told that the OP is up for pick n mix DIY options. 

Woldsman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Giant Revolt 1 2017? £1149 so change for some lightweight jazzy wheels  and 25mm tyres to have for best. Or maybe not. Make sure the shop sources a suitable rack and full-length mudguards. Bit of a Marmite bike. They named it well...

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/revolt-1?partnumber=70151917&gclid=CPX...

JimD666 | 6 years ago
1 like

Currently a happy owner of a Merlin Axe7 Pro.

105 Groupset with full range of mounts (as far as I can tell)
£900 so under your budget.

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-axe7-pro-105-road-disc-bike-2017-955...

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

Given the limited information you have given (£1-£1.5k budget, rack mounts, endurance geometry, only space for one bike, better groupset, space for mudguards), how about the Pinnacle Arkose 3, an Adventure Road bike at £1,150?

It has mostly 105 Groupset (Praxis Alba M30 crank), Rack Mounts, room for large tyres, room for mudguards and a 48/32T chainset for those longer journeys carrying a lot of kit

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2017-adventure-road-bike-E...

P.S. as the new models tend to come out in September/October, if you wait a few months you may get a better deal on the 2017 models

rdmp2 replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like
ClubSmed wrote:

Given the limited information you have given (£1-£1.5k budget, rack mounts, endurance geometry, only space for one bike, better groupset, space for mudguards), how about the Pinnacle Arkose 3, an Adventure Road bike at £1,150?

It has mostly 105 Groupset (Praxis Alba M30 crank), Rack Mounts, room for large tyres, room for mudguards and a 48/32T chainset for those longer journeys carrying a lot of kit

P.S. as the new models tend to come out in September/October, if you wait a few months you may get a better deal on the 2017 models

If looking at evans the dolomite might be better for predominantly road riding. Clearance for 32s (28 with guards), discs, rack mounts. Currently on sale too

ClubSmed replied to rdmp2 | 6 years ago
1 like
rdmp2 wrote:
ClubSmed wrote:

If looking at evans the dolomite might be better for predominantly road riding. Clearance for 32s (28 with guards), discs, rack mounts. Currently on sale too

I did think about suggesting the Dolomite but discounted it as the poster said they wanted an endurance bike

Carton | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd consider keeping the Defy as the commute/winter bike and getting a dedicated ride for sport. 

I've yet to pull the trigger on upgrading my Defy. It was to be a Gt Grade, then a BMC Gran Fondo, then a Cervelo C3, now a Focus Paralane.

dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback.  The goal is an endurance bike, and I don't have room for two bikes. The tricky bit seems to be fitting a rack.  Loads of nice Carbon, and Aluminium bikes, but not many that allow for a rack.  I prefer cycling on my own, so like to take enough spare parts with me to repair things if I'm far from home.

Simon E | 6 years ago
2 likes

Unless you're running an older one with aluminium fork I suspect replacing it with a £900 bike (for example) isn't going to feel a massive amount different but you'll be significantly poorer.

I'd suggest decent wheels and tyres. Freshen up the cables and bar tape. It would feel better but you'd still have a lot more money left to spend on rides, holidays, events, cake...

If you really want to, you could spring for a groupset too, though that may not make quite as big a difference unless your current one is getting a bit worn out.

mostly | 6 years ago
1 like

Another defy?
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p6994/GIANT-DEFY-ADVANCED-PRO-3-2016
Gt grades may have some cash off I think they take panniers?

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
2 likes

There's an embarrassment of choice in that price range.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/211855-10-best-2017-%C2%A31000-%C2%A...

Echoing earlier comments, it's a very open question and you'd need to be clearer on what you want. You can get a decent carbon fibre racing-wannabe with an agressive rising position, or a more comfort-oriented, long-life steel bike with decent components, or an aluminium frame with really good kit that does most things well.

Maybe make a list of desirable attributes, prioritise them and match some bikes with that. And throw in a couple of wildcards.

It's quite a lot to spend on a commuting bike though - maybe better invest a bit in making the Defy dedicated to that task (mudguards, rack, more puncture-resistant tyres, maybe tougher wheels, etc.) and keep the new bike for sunny weekends. You'll appreciate the contrast more too.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bit of a broad question that. A bit like asking "Could someone recommend some tasty food?".

dmack replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

Bit of a broad question that. A bit like asking "Could someone recommend some tasty food?".

I was thinking similar style of bike, but better gears.  Something in the £1000-£1500 range.

DoctorFish replied to dmack | 6 years ago
2 likes

dmack wrote:

guyrwood wrote:

I was thinking similar style of bike, but better gears.  Something in the £1000-£1500 range.

If you are happy with everything else about the bike then you could consider changing the group set?  

With the level of information given you might just want to take yourself to a bike shop and have a look and see what is in your price range.  You would be able to get a bike with a carbon frame if that is what takes your fancy.  I don't think you are going to get helpful responses with such an open ended question.

Latest Comments