Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Compact rings on an old Campagnolo Chorus groupset.

Can anyone recommend a compact chainring setup that would work with my old (circa 1999) 9 speed Campagnolo Chorus? I ride a ‘vintage’ Cannonade CAD3 with a 52/39 gearing up the steep hills of southern France. But either those hills are getting steeper or I’m getting older (must be the former). I’ve got a feeling that I might have to swap the whole groupset just to get a 50/34 pairing. But hopefully there’s an ultra granny gear workaround beyond my existing 39. I don’t race, I just want to be able to cycle to the top without wobbling into the path of oncoming French motorists. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Uncle Terry | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Vejnemojnen, I'm going to track down the Shimano dx. The 28t ring is what I'm after to help me scale the hills without having to pushing my bike up. 

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes

another great solution is: shimano deore dx mt60..

110mm "Road compact" bcd, forged arms, generally with 48-38-28t rings. Requires roughly 110 mm bb spindle length for road double chainline.

these were mountain cranks in the early nineties. But here, in Hungary, old xt-730 and dx-mt60 chainsets are favoured by those, who insist to have square taper bb with nice classy looking cranks.

they generally sell around 15-25gbp, depending on condition, chainring wear-tear.. very easy to find them second-hand, and incredibly reliable-hard wearing.

1 like

Vejnemojen, I'll try and get some photos of the shifter and derailleur. My bike is in France, whilst I'm currently in the UK. Thanks for replying. 

0 likes

Thank you Jack Osbourne snr, I think you've neatly outlined what I need to do.  A Chorus triple sounds like the solution. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. 

0 likes

one more:

albeit chorus 1998-1999 and 2000 9speed shifters are with 2nd generation hoods, their internals are for older derailleurs. I can identify and tell whether a shifter or derailleur is the part of a pre or post2001 groupset, but I have to see it from picture  1

(ie.: a picture from the front of the shifter, and a side-shot of the derailleur)

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

There are a number of solutions to this depending on how low you want to go and what rear mech you have... I've got several bikes running assorted Campagnolo parts from different eras and speeds and with a bit of care, you'll easily and cheaply get lower gearing.

Dont get hung up on which version of 9 speed you have. If you have the pointy hooded ergos then you're on old 9 speed which could make changing rear mech more challenging, but let's assume you don't need to change mech...

As mentioned above 39t is your minimum on a 135 BCD chainset. 

A triple-izer would be an option...if they were still available. You could spend months waiting for a used one to appear or a small fortune on a NOS one.

Your cheapest option is a 2nd hand triple or compact square taper chainset in 8,9 or 10 speed (all interchangeable):

- if you get a record or chorus square taper compact (officially 10 speed), all you'll need to do is drop the front mech and shorten your chain. The bottom bracket you currently have is the correct size (102mm). If you have a short cage rear mech you'll just about be able to make a 13-28 cassette work if you set it up carefully... A 26 will be fine though. If it's a long cage mech at the moment you can relax about having any issues. Note that these chainsets are carbon so you need to be happy changing the look of the bike.

- If you get any other level Campagnolo compact chainset you'll have to get the appropriate bottom bracket too. The 111mm Centaur unit will work with Centaur and below and is only 30 quid new. The Centaur alloy compact chainset would blend in very well aesthetically.

- a second hand ultra torque compact chainset would also work fine but again, it's carbon.

- If you go triple you'll also need a new bottom bracket. The Centaur 111 works perfectly with Record and Chorus if you put a 1mm spacer between the BB shell and drive side cup. There are lots of these around eg Hope for 1.99 from CRC. With a 30t granny you'll be restricted to 26t at the cassette unless you have a longer cage rear mech. Other options such as Racing T and Centaur will be okay without the spacer, but be careful what you buy as different levels and years may need a 115.5...

Chorus triples are cheap on eBay, Record ones are not. Bear in mind you may also need to replace the chainrings on any second hand chainset, so factor that into any costings.

Front mech compatibility isn't much of an issue as long as you know how to set one up. I have a double FD happily shifting a 53-42-30 triple.

Hopefully this is helpful rather than confusing! Happy to advise more once you spot something worth buying.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

The older 9 speed and 8 speed could shift pretty much any derailleur on the front with the fantastic multiple trim shitfs and if you are saying only going for a 32 or a 30 inner ring and reduce the big ring to a 49 or 50 you might get away with using the double FD.

i know the Shimano 600EX double FD worked with a half step plus granny combo and if you're really not in the habit of cross chaining then you can also get away with a short cage rear d too.

0 likes

Vejnemojnen, thanks for your suggestion. I'm in the UK at the moment and my bike is in that France. I'll see if I can get someone to take a photo of the derailleur. 

0 likes

Thanks Rapha, I'm going to see if I can manage with adding another chain ring to the Chorus first. If I can't then I'll be back in touch. 

0 likes

standard campag bolt circle diameter is 135mm. The smallest ring they can accomodate is 39t.

You can get a triple-izer chainring, and convert your chainset to a "triple".  1 You'll need a long cage derailleur though..

Campag unfortunately changed the derailleur actuation ratio when introduced the 10spd line. So, modern derailleurs do not work well with older 9spd shifters.

I'd get a second-hand compact chainset, and a 13-28 cassette (the largest you can use with old derailleurs)

Could you please take a picture from your derailleur from the side? I'd be able to tell you for sure whether those are the older 9speed or never model..

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

I can sell you an ultra torque Record compact chainset that I have.  It's surplus to requirements right now.  I don't have the BB cups but you can pick them up cheap enough from the www.

0 likes

That's another good option. I'll search for second hand triples and see what turns up. Thanks for your help. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to use a Chorus 8 speed touring triple. A special all alloy 15-30 plus 46/40/26, not particularly great for going fast on the flat but excellent for getting up steep inclines with a load and the 15t starting cog meant not too many jumps between the ratios.

of course you can still keep the bigger rings and just go with the 30t inner ring which then means not having to use such a wide spread cassette.

Plenty of second user triples out there, add in derailleurs and BB and away you go.

0 likes

They look like they'll do the job nicely. Think I'll need the 42/34. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. 

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at these cranks (in a dark room with the light off they resemble the old Corus chainset), you might need a new bottom bracket (Shimano UN55 gives a perfect chainline on 10 speed so should be good for 9 speed too) and chainrings, a 34 tooth inner (http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s113p1964/SPECIALITES-T-A-110-BCD-inner-3...) and a 48 or 50 tooth outer (around £40) should sort you out.  Alternatively they do a triple version of the cranks, you will have to look at the BCD for each ring though.  I have 3 sets of those cranks on various machines and i am very happy with them.

Latest Comments