Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

do you buy cycling apparel online ?

Do you buy cycling apparel online ?

Do you buy it from overseas stores ?

what brands ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

nickW1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have bought a few items from a dutch site mantel.com very reasonasble and you get trhe items within 48hours without any extra cost 

Chuck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mostly online, but from shops occasionally. Selection is the thing for me rather than price. 

I start with what I reckon is going to do the job at the right price/style rather than brands, but that said the same brands do tend to crop up. A lot of my kit is dhb, Endura, or Louis Garneau with the odd bit from someone else.

Stef Marazzi | 6 years ago
1 like

Yep! all of it

Faves brands are

Giordana

Vermarc (Actually the same as Giordana and made in the same factory)

Dhb

Btwin / Decathlon

Merlin Wear (Merlin own brand)

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you are looking for an affordable cycling apparel, you might want to visit classiccycling.com, I purchased a lot of items here for cycling such as Castelli Tesoro Jersey Full Zip White/Black, very affordable price and good quality item.

bikesw | 6 years ago
0 likes

I buy all my clothes online, except perhaps for a pair of socks when I'm in the store anyway. Mainly from Europe (UK, DE) but I have tried a few things from China which work great. As most others I too buy stuff from Wiggle, and their peers. Have also used a few price comparison sites like Bikejungle, with some good results. 

jboy70 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I buy online but sometimes i use the stores for fitting. The price in stores is rather pricey and sometimes not economical.

don simon fbpe replied to jboy70 | 6 years ago
0 likes

jboy70 wrote:

I buy online but sometimes i use the stores for fitting. The price in stores is rather pricey and sometimes not economical.

Isn't that because they have to pay for fitting rooms and things like that? yes

After trying to sort out sizing, and not succeeding, I have bought some shoes on-line. Let's see what happens when they arrive. Otherwise I don't see an issue.

I'd happily buy from abroad, I take the view that Spain wasn't abroad when I lived there.

PRSboy replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

jboy70 wrote:

Isn't that because they have to pay for fitting rooms and things like that? yes

Yes, that and other minor inconveniences, like business rates, rent, and employing local folk.

I've found my LBS will get there, or thereabouts, to on-line prices, will order stuff in quickly to my size.

The only thing oddly they seem massively adrift on is tyres, I guess they hope to take advantage of folk needing a tyre 'now'.  Still, fair enough if it goes toward funding the use of the shop as an unpaid fitting room!

froze | 6 years ago
0 likes

I buy all my clothing online and I wait for closeouts, even online regular prices are cheaper then any LBS around me and closeouts make them really cheap.  The only articles of clothing that I buy from my LBS is shoes because one must try those on before buying otherwise you could be sending shoes back like crazy to get a right fit; and I get my gloves at my LBS because I like the Specialized Body Geometry gel glove that online is the same price as at the store.  Last year I did buy a jersey at a store but that was because I was in my old home town of Santa Barbara California and went to my old bike store and bought their bike store logo jersey, but normally I get my jerseys online for around $15 because $120 jerseys aren't any better.

Simontuck | 6 years ago
1 like

Yep. Wiggle and Decathlon mainly. Evans isn't terrible either. I'm afraid I don't go to the local bike shop much unless I need a wheel trueing (a skill I should really learn) or I need a part quickly and don't mind paying a bit more for a brand I might not want . Returning stuff is so much easier to do nowadays. The only rub would be if you don't live near a post office, or parcel collection point. But then if that was the case its unlikely you'd have a LBS nearby either!! 

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes, I do. Here in the states my LBS charge full retail (MSRP) for clothing. Rarely do you come across a discount sale. But when they do occur it's usually a clearance sale of unsold stock - L, Xl, XXL; I wear small. I have purchased from Wiggle (DHB) and overseas suppliers of Vermac and Sportful bib/shorts not only for the price break but also for the quality. This includes jerseys. The world is a marketplace. Why not shop worldwide.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

To add to my previous comment, I've been trying to find a couple of pairs of baggy style MTB shorts for commuting/touring - local bike shops only seem to stock Endura or Altura in styles that don't fit me, even if they do have the size to try in the first place.

Consequently, I've been working my way through offerings from CRC, Wiggle and Evans. In fact, I've actually given up on the baggy shorts thing, as I can't find any that have the right combination of good fitting shorts and a good fitting, decent undershort and a reasonable price.

I'm now on the hunt for a decent pair of waist shorts and will chuck a pair of walking shorts over the top.

huntswheelers | 6 years ago
0 likes

I buy Fat Lad At The Back stuff online (not that I am a big lad more of an average lad) ....I do it as I know it fits well... and never need to return it.... 

I've purchased other kit online too and the fit is not quite as it is claimed.....  as with all things cycling.... there is no right or wrong way/brand and you pays yer money and takes yer choice

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought a spiffy retro NASA jersey from Retro2Ride.com a couple years back. Pretty nice.

audrey27 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I live in the USA and buy items from classiccycling.com, they offer good prices. I buy Giordana Moda "Team Very Serious" Tenax Pro Bib Short at half the price, I can buy them for in the USA. I've also bought jersey there.  Free shipping and no taxes.

Also I just bought some protective geare at 50% off.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Almost always.

I do buy from the LBS when I want mechanics opinions on parts maintenance etc - or when they have clearance items.

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes, sometimes.  If I really don't know the size I tend to buy two and send one back,  which steers me to the sites that do free returns.  Hvaing said that, the last five items of clothing have all been bught in a proper shop with a door and everything.

Toast | 6 years ago
0 likes

Online almost exclusively - free returns combined with the "sort results by discount %" option mean picking up most of my kit six months behind/ahead with a substantial saving. Just nabbed Lizardskins overshoes for £7.50 on Wiggle, happy with that  1 keeping an eye out for long-sleeve jerseys next.

Lincolndave | 6 years ago
0 likes

I buy online, more choice and better clothing , also as other cyclists have stated free returns if you order the wrong size, plus good discounts throughout the year on most web sites

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

LBS range is so low that I always buy online. 

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yes, I buy stuff online, as much better choice and cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the LBS sale rail, but with a young family and very limited opportunity to get to a LBS when it's actually open I don't have a whole lot of choice.

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Everything online unless it's a sale TBH. My LBS are complete robbers and will be at least 30% more than I can find online but it doesn't seem to hurt them as their clientel are the higher end users anyway that probably delight in paying through the nose. Most of their stock is beyond most people's starting point anyway, the cheapest overshoes they stock are £30 when you can pick up  the same thing for £10 online.

Sometimes buy chinese kit, mainly just because there are some wacky designs out there. Where else can you get a Master of Puppets jersey?

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much everything.

I'm hopeless at shopping in real shops. The combination of right colour, right size and within 10% of internet price simply does not exist on the high street as far as anything I want to buy is concerned. Even Tescos take great delight in hiding or de stocking things I buy regularly.

Simboid | 6 years ago
1 like

Always buy online as I've never seen a decent deal in a shop and stocks/sizes are more limited.

Best buys so far are my Alpkit rhythm bibshorts and jersey. Normal sizes for normal sized people, comfy, well designed and decent quality. I also like DHB.

Biggest let down - Rapha Core bundle (rain jacket, jersey and bibshorts). Rain jacket is sweaty, next time I'll buy a waterproof from a proper outdoor company as I think they use the best materials. Jersey is also a bit sweaty (Rapha, nylon doesn't have to feel like your Mum's best dress from the 70s any more!) and the rear gripper constantly rolls up on itself. Shorts are tiny, I'm a 34" waist which should be a large but the XL are too small, only just stretching over the shoulders and squashing the the old lunchbox disturbingly. An XXL would be too long in the leg so they are next to useless unless I get ill and lose weight I don't need to lose.

Dnnnnnn replied to Simboid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simboid wrote:

Rapha Core .... Shorts are tiny, I'm a 34" waist which should be a large but the XL are too small, only just stretching over the shoulders and squashing the the old lunchbox disturbingly. An XXL would be too long in the leg so they are next to useless unless I get ill and lose weight I don't need to lose.

LOL! Deja vu!

janet53 | 6 years ago
4 likes

I always buy online, have you seen the limited choice of ladies cycling clothes in the shops. I use Wiggle and Chain Reaction because of free delivery and returns.

dottigirl replied to janet53 | 6 years ago
3 likes

janet53 wrote:

I always buy online, have you seen the limited choice of ladies cycling clothes in the shops? I use Wiggle and Chain Reaction because of free delivery and returns.

Yeah, it doesn't even occur to me to buy clothes from shops. The range for women is usually dreadful in brand, colour and size. It's got to the point that I won't even glance at the offerings when I'm in a bike shop as it's usually a waste of time.

For anything not covered by club kit, I use SportPursuit or whoever has the best online bargains. Or get Evans to do a price match. Usual brands are Pearl Izumi, Craft, Castelli and Gore.

sergius | 6 years ago
1 like

All of mine is bought online.  I tend to use Wiggle, but do use others on occasion.

If you know your sizing for a specific brand, then buying online is far cheaper and more convenient.

skwarczek | 6 years ago
1 like

Yes,

Bought BTwin bib shorts from Decathlon - cant fault them.

Nothing else so far, but probably buying more bibs and jerseys during the winter while prices are cheaper.

Latest Comments