Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pre Ride 'routine' / Drinks / Food

Hi All, 

Im relatively new to cycling, and currently only ride about 20-30 mile rides, although im looking to obviously increase this. 

The thing i would like opinions on is what is peoples pre ride routines? 

Reason i ask is currently when i ride, sometimes im fine and have energy etc(although obviously tire as ride goes on), BUT other times almost as soon as a i ride i feel like my legs are not working and have zero energy. 

My Friend who runs a bit, said i should use a 'Pre Workout' Drink, which is high in caffine as boosts energy... Question is, does anyone use something like this? I have looked and found something called High5 EnergySource 4:1 With Super Carbs, which seems to have good reviews, but it doesnt contain caffine.

Any advise or recomendations welcome, as it is frustrating that i dont know what is best and get despondant while riding. 

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

For an early start; c. 100km ride at tempo; it's always the same: coffee on, porridge on. Drink water. Get dressed. Drink coffee. Eat porridge. If it's going to be hot I'll drink a hydration formula even before I go out. Try to get a shit out before putting my shoes on. 

If you're not feeling it within a few minutes of riding, it's not your nutrition you're just not bike fit yet.

Keep riding - regularly.

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

As others have suggested, everyone's different but the vast majority of healthy adults shouldn't need a special routine for a couple of hours ride at a moderate pace. Just eat a normal, balanced diet of good meals and the odd healthy snacks. Keep yourself hydrated too - but don't become overly-fixated on any of this. 

Coffee is good for an easy boost (for anything, not just cycling), especially after a meal. 

If you're relatively new to cycling it may be that your body and muscles are still becoming accustomed to it. Possibly your mind too - riding alone, you can over-analyse tiny differences and exaggerate them in your mind.

If you find that the difference between your peaks and troughs is extreme, though, it may be that there is something deeper going on, perhaps worth asking a GP about.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

I generally ride 20 - 30 miles each morning - early - on an empty stomach and a cup of tea / coffee taking a single water bottle with a mix of apple / pineapple juice and water - because its refreshing and has a bit of sugar / fructose in it. For short rides, presumably ridden at 20+kph, you shouldn't need to eat beforehand if you otherwise eat healthily.   Have a healthy breakfast when you get in.  

Once your rides get longer - say 40-50 miles or you move towards more structured training or ride later in the day then I"d start looking at a bowl of porridge or scrambled eggs.  This time with 2 water bottles; one water one apple/pineapple and water, taking a banana or fig rolls to nibble on after 20 miles.  I usually cut the bananas in half too... easier to squeeze out and eat, but not too much.  Also fits in your pockets better.   As you get stronger you probably won't need to eat for these either.  

I tend to tool up for longer rides 60+ and sportives:  eating beforehand - porridge / eggs plus carb drinks (I like Torq and CNP as they're not too sweet), plus Torq gels as they are yummy.  I also like those Colombian jellies that you can buy in certain places...pure energy...and fig rolls, which are £14 cheaper!  I tend to take my own stuff on sportives as a) stopping is a waste of time, and b) they tend to give out cheaper stuff or stuff you're not used to that can lead to stomach cramps...  

If I have to drive to the sportive I usually put some porridge in a flask so I can eat beforehand. 

Best of luck. 

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

I like a bowl of muesli and a black coffee before the club run.  If on a shorter one, I generally have a sandwich as I need something after injecting - a hypo on a bike is not good!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to REALLY struggle with eating correctly before a ride and I'd often feel out of energy after a short distance.

Having got fitter since then, anything up to about 15-20 miles, I don't really need to think about fueling properly (unless I'm really going for it).

20-40 miles, a banana beforehand (and one on the bike) is usually enough.

For a longer tough ride 50+ miles, fueling has a massive difference for me! Night before, no alcohol, big bolognese usually. In the morning, porridge (with banana raisins and good stuff) and a double espresso/long black.

During the ride, I find homemade flapjack-energy bar is far easier to consume than SIS energy gels (they make me feel sick).

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

For me I try and eat something before I go out for a ride, but it depends on what type of ride as to what I eat.. typically I wake up and drink a bidon of water with the intention of a quick wee before I leave, if I've an hour before I have to start peddling, I'll eat granola or muesli with milk (any longer and I'll make myself porridge with honey),  if I've only fifteen mins I'll grab a cereal bar (I'm quite partial to the 50p Banana 'Hike' bars from Aldi at the moment), anything under 30/40 miles I'll just take water and maybe  down a gel midway if it's really pacey, above that I use Zero tabs to add back in some of the salts and stuff you sweat out, long fast rides I'll pack haribo, couple of gels, maybe some figs rolls or a hike bar, for long social rides, I'll pack sandwiches individually wrapped in greaseproof paper, peanut butter is always easy. 

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Took me a while to get to current state bit happy to do 30 to 40 miles before breakfast
Do use electrolyte tabs in water as without get bad headaches.
Body has adapted to being more efficient over time and slow and steady rides help. Before that used to stress about similar but as others have said normal diet. Longer rides flapjack in pockets.
I feel worse if too soon after any food and the only time I tried carb powder in water I just got home to the loo in time... Bad bad cramps.

MoutonDeMontagne | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ham Omelette and a double espresso works well for me, Or sometimes to add a few carbs 2 poached eggs on toast if I'm not going out early. However for early starts generally a bowl of muselli and a coffee as  its quick. Porridge is just too heavy for me and makes me feel bloated and lethargic for the first hour of the ride. 

Generally found paying more attention to what you eat/drink on the bike is key when first starting out, learning what the signs are of when you start to crash and dip in energy and how to catch that. For example, I used to get a massive crash at around the 70km mark, which was when I'd used up all my breakfast, so learned to eat something small around 25 and 50km to manage things throughout. Oh, and generally leave the energy products for long rides, they're really not good for your insides! Normal cereal bars etc are just as effective if not riding at super high intensity. 

Al__S | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cereal (porridge in the winter or if I'm really feeling the need for it), bucket of tea, banna. Did 180k on Saturday and only stopped at that point as I had a ride to lead the next day (only 80k, but still, not a good look to be dangling off the back whilst "leading"). Couple of Saturday's group had been out on the beers the night before and did the full 240k (I'd restricted myself to a large G&T at home, did have a beer or two as recovery on Saturday)- one of them was so happy when he got his bacon roll 90k into the ride

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

A banana or pain au chocolate (the Lidl individually wrapped ones are good for taking on rides) before I head off and some jelly beans or a gel in a bar-top bag in case I need a pick-me-up half way through.  

Running friends swear by caffeine but I've never felt the need (and I don't like coffee).

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
4 likes

A ride of 20 to 30 miles does not need a pre-ride routine.  I suggest that you relax and forget about all the advertising bullshit surrounding drinks/snacks etc. and just ride your bike.  Have a light snack if you want but I suspect your varying energy levels or perception of how well you are riding is down to your current fluctuating fitness level.  You should be able to do 30 miles with just a few fig rolls (or similar) and one 500ml bottle of water (or squash if you prefer), you wont need gels, protein bars or any other such rubbish, nor will you need post ride recovery drinks once you have finished.  All that stuff is a triumph of marketing, it will make a difference to a very fit rider looking for an edge but for a recreational rider doing a few hours it is a waste of money, just ride and enjoy the ride, you will notice your fitnesss improving from just riding.

gunswick | 6 years ago
0 likes

2 weetabix, done.

Take food with you, or a carb drink so you can top up as you go. 20miles doesn't need food usually, but IMO 30miles needs 1 food item and some water / electrolytes.

If you back to back days then you will feel it.
Protein immediately post ride will help your next ride feel better.

Maybe instead of pre-ride discussion, think about your post-ride recovery and repair plan? If that is letting you down, no amount of pre-ride can bail you out.

barbarus | 6 years ago
2 likes

Personally if I want to exercise, I need to eat. At least an hour before, preferably 2. Coffee is for post ride. Everyone is different but let me just put out there that if it comes in a plastic tube with pseudo science writing on it, you don't need it.

average_joe | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think it's really important to have a good meal the previous evening. I usually have chicken breast stir fried with spinach and served with whole meal pasta.

I'll always have porridge and a cup of tea for breakfast, and a banana as well if I'm going for a long ride (Over 50 miles).

As others have said, its just as important to keep fuelling during the ride, I take a sip of my drink (weak orange squash under 50 miles, Torq Energy for longer ones) every 5 miles and have a Frusli cereal bar every 20 miles.  Setting the distance alert on a Garmin or similar helps you to stick to this. On a really tough ride I'll have a caffeine gel about two thirds of the way through, it might just be psychosomatic but I do feel like it helps me maintain my effort when I'd normally expect to be slowing down.

When I get back after a tough ride I have a chocolate milk shake and a banana straight away, then a proper meal about an hour later.

I regularly do rides of 100+ miles with 10k feet of climbing this way, and touch wood I've never had any issues.

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

A bowl of porridge normally works also peanut butter and banana sarnie. Have also used jam sandwhiches or if in a rush a couple of bananas with a spoon of honey. But always coffee!

S13SFC | 6 years ago
0 likes

A couple of wheatabix and a pint of milk is all I need before heading out.

sw600 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Jam sandwich for me. And a double machiatto if I can avoid waking the kids up with the noise of the grinder and espresso machine.

I don't think shoving a bunch of stuff in immediately beforehand is going to make that much difference, just make sure that you keep eating. Once over 90 mins or so you'll have run out of glycogen and will need to refuel. Unless you are one of these keto people (so they claim); I don't know enough about it myself, but I'm always a little sceptical of faddy diet type things.

madcarew replied to sw600 | 6 years ago
1 like

sw600 wrote:

Jam sandwich for me. And a double machiatto if I can avoid waking the kids up with the noise of the grinder and espresso machine. I don't think shoving a bunch of stuff in immediately beforehand is going to make that much difference, just make sure that you keep eating. Once over 90 mins or so you'll have run out of glycogen and will need to refuel. Unless you are one of these keto people (so they claim); I don't know enough about it myself, but I'm always a little sceptical of faddy diet type things.

I regularly go for 60-80 mile training rides without food before or during the ride. It's simply a case of getting used to doing without the food. The only reason you'd run out of glycogen after 90 mins is if you are riding pretty darn hard. You can only take on about 250 cal an hour, but will generally (at 170W / 15 mph) be burning through 650 - 700 cal an hour, so the balance is being supplied from fat stores. The more you use those fat stores, and the harder you ride while you are, the more you are able to use them. Doesn't require a faddy diet. I simply eat a diet the same as perhaps anyone. Sandwiches for lunch, normal meals for dinner. Not so much what you put in, just how you use it. 

However, I'd never do  an event over 40 miles without food (as you tend to be riding pretty hard), but training without food will improve your overall fuelling endurance in events

pockstone | 6 years ago
7 likes

These were invented for a reason:

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm with you ktache. It was Dottigirl that put me in mind to try some protein instead of plain carbs before a ride. I find I feel great if I go out after a potato waffle and fish finger butty but not so great if I just eat a load of carb's. Oh, and caffeine can be invaluable. I do NOT feel like going out after a day at work so I always make a strong mug of old brown java in my aeropress before heading out. Really puts me in the mood for a ride.

In fact, I've got my 2nd ever sportive on Sunday (63 mile route, my longest so far) and I might try peanut butter and jam butties so carb's AND protein/fat.

ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

Bacon and brie sandwich for preperation for a long ride.

Cake is the breakfast of champions.

HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
2 likes

Depends entirely on the rider. We've all got different metabolisms and physiques. So advice pertaining to one rider may be useless for another.

Not suggesting you do as I do but I can function on relatively little food. On a Saturday training ride (54 miles at mostly chatting pace but last 12 miles heads down, every man for themselves) I get by with a cup of tea, 2 slices of toast before and a Nakd bar after 30 miles plus water. Yet some of my clubmates are up two hours before kick off loading up, bowls of porridge, fruit, coffee, toast etc. And that's because they have to, they'd be a mess otherwise

Different strokes for different folks.

Have a light breakfast and stuff something in your pocket in case you get hungry/weak. As the months and then years roll by you'll know what to eat as you learn how your body works.

As for the artificial energy stuff, if you can stand the taste then more power to your elbow. But Graeme Obree won world championships and broke records on...jam sandwiches;

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/cycling-legend-reveals-ener...

Simon E replied to HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

HalfWheeler wrote:

Different strokes for different folks.

I think that many people have become accustomed to loading up before they move a muscle (which I don't think is ideal).

Rather than consider changing their habits it is easier to dismiss those with experience to the contrary as "having a different metabolism". I really can't see that human energy systems can vary so wildly.

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

It's probably obvious but:
No alcohol the night before makes a massive amount of difference. Even just the one drink has a noticeable effect.

madcarew replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

It's probably obvious but: No alcohol the night before makes a massive amount of difference. Even just the one drink has a noticeable effect.

I think your mileage may vary on this. I have no problem going for a ride saturday morning after several wines on a friday night. Unless I've got completely legless (which hasn't happened for many years now) I don't notice the effect of the alcohol at all.

Personally my pre-ride ritual is 

• get out of bed
  • get bike kit on
  • Ablute
  • Make coffee
  • Catch up on overnight world cycling happenings on computer while drinking coffee
  • Get on bike and go.
  • If the ride is going to be over 80-90 miles I might have some porridge.
peted76 replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

It's probably obvious but: No alcohol the night before makes a massive amount of difference. Even just the one drink has a noticeable effect.

I think that's a personal thing, whilst I don't drink a lot, I can't say that having a drink or three effects my cycling detrimentally the following day.

Everything in moderation.

Daveyraveygravey replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

I think that's a personal thing, whilst I don't drink a lot, I can't say that having a drink or three effects my cycling detrimentally the following day.

Everything in moderation.

I agree too, I can have a couple of beers and maybe a bottle of wine on a Friday night and I don't FEEL any different on the bike the next day, but I suspect I'm taking longer or working marginally harder.

I often get up early to do a reasonable ride before work, and can do about 2 hours with no food at all.  Some days it may be 90 mins some days it may be 150 mins before I feel I have to eat.  As others have said different strokes for different folks.  I had a phase of consuming a gel every hour (the packet recommends one every 20 mins!) but I find them too sweet now; I carry a gel or two on longer rides for emergency use.

SingleSpeed replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

Most of the times I've made a podium I've drunk a bottle and a half of wine with my pasta  3

Pre Ride:

Train on empty.

Or if it's a 'club ride' eat two Peanut Butter, Jam and Wholemeal Bread Sandwiches and a cup of Nescafe, perfect fuel (Hi and Low GI mix) for a 2-3hour cockwangfest.

Don't buy nutrition crap for riding, only eat those in races where you have no other choice.

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

With Sergius 100% on this one, bowl of porridge and a cup of tea.

Ultimately, there are peaks and dips in form. I for one have never found a magic formula other than riding as far as you can as often as you can.

Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like

Before a ride: a glass of water.

Unless it's a really BIG ride then I'd not bother carbing up beforehand. I've found eating beforehand confers no benefit to how I feel during or after it.  A coffee might help if you feel dozy but otherwise I'd not bother.

Some days the legs are good, some days they're not so keen. I can't find a reason for it but suspect it's possibly related to disturbed or irregular sleep, or possibly something else fundamental that I haven't twigged. Like sergius, I find you just have to ride through it and your legs come round after a while.

Most commercial energy products are inferior to natural nutrition but, as I'm sure you'll see presently, some people are devout in their homage to the gods of maltodextrin, protein powder, gels and so on.

Pages

Latest Comments