Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

road bike commute

Hi I'm looking to buy my first road bike. I mainly need it for a commute to and from university, about 4 miles each way, the way home is mostly uphill. I want something that takes mudguards and possibly a rack. I also need something to cope with Manchester weather ie rain and cold! My budget is aroun 500. I know pretty much nothing about bikes but from reading reveiws online I have narrowed it down to 3 prospective bikes Boardman road sport, Marin argenta a6 and specialized allez e5. The specialized probably won't be good for me but I threw it in there because it looks so exciting. Can anyone advise me. Thanks

Yitz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

kieren_lon | 6 years ago
0 likes

How about Decalthlons Btwin 100 for £250 brand new?

https://www.btwin.com/en/road-bikes/sport-road-bikes/20146-triban-100-ro...

Tales tyres wide enough to take in trails
Takes mudguards
Decathlon is reported to have excellent customer service
Might be less less likely to be stolen

yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi, Still  deliberating over which bike to buy. Contemplating a flat bar road bike, I've seen btwin triban 500 or calibre filter. Any comments?

Canyon48 replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

Hi, Still  deliberating over which bike to buy. Contemplating a flat bar road bike, I've seen btwin triban 500 or calibre filter. Any comments?

The Triban 500 has microshift shifters/brakes which aren't great...

Have you considered the Mango Point AR flat bar? https://www.mangobikes.com/shop/bikes/point-ar/point-ar-flat-bar-claris/

Mango bikes started up specifically to build bikes aimed at students. I have the Point AR frameset built up with Shimano 105 as my commute bike (10-20 miles each way) - and it's pretty sound!

It's a little over your budget, but it also comes with disc brakes (much better in the rainy months) and has mudguard/rack mounts too.

Swiss | 6 years ago
0 likes

Boardman road sport can fit mudguards and rack has the eyelets and bosses. Get one in the sales on bank holiday weekend s etc and use the savings to get some good tyres on as the standard tyres ride like wood.
If you have a problem with bikes at halfords have a moan at the store manager and you should be put right. I had a problem with front wheel ended with better wheelset and vouchers for inconvenience which got me some spd pedals &shoes when i used them on another weekend sale there. Click collect online to get better prices.
If you join cycling uk you'll get another 10% discount there too.

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

Probably not mate, summer is their biggest selling opportunity, they start to sell off their old stock once the next years bikes come in in the autumn.

yitzchokhaffner replied to ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

Probably not mate, summer is their biggest selling opportunity, they start to sell off their old stock once the next years bikes come in in the autumn.

What about early september?

Canyon48 replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

ktache wrote:

What about early september?

Usually, the next years range of bikes comes out in September and that's often when shops discount. Might be able to get a bargain before you go back to uni.

I'd probably say your best bet is buying from a shop that sells used bikes (small independent shops rather than the chains), this way, you get the reduction (it won't be AS cheap as truly second hand though), but you also have a bike that's been looked over by a mechanic.

When I commuted from my student house to uni last year (about 3 miles but with a big FO hill at the end), it was FREEZING in the morning, I found that a merino base layer (£15 bargain from wiggle) worn beneath my cycle jacket was more than enough. You don't need a cycle specific jacket though, a hoodie/light rain jacket combo would be fine.

Rucksacks are easier than pannier racks, unless you are planning on carrying a lot of stuff - I leave most the stuff I need in my locker at uni when I commute. Saves you having to buy a pannier rack and pannier... If you definitely want a pannier rack & bag, then your local freecycle is worth a shot.

You'll almost certainly want mudguards for when it rains too, again freecycle might be good.

It's probably worth asking the university's cycle club to give you advice on buying a bike. I know the chaps in the cycle club where I study often have bikes going.

0 likes

do any bike shops do big bike sales in the summer where I can pick up a bargain?

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I'd advise getting a second hand bike if there's any risk of theft. Ask your local cycle club, they'll sell you a decent bike that doesn't break

1 like

thanks for all your help so far? just seen cube attempt second hand. barely used. what do you reckon?

Simon E replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

thanks for all your help so far? just seen cube attempt second hand. barely used. what do you reckon?

Cube are excellent bikes. Check the condition thoroughly but if it is the right size and works well then see if you can haggle.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=advice+buying+secondhand+road+bike

yitzchokhaffner replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

Cube are excellent bikes. Check the condition thoroughly but if it is the right size and works well then see if you can haggle.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=advice+buying+secondhand+road+bike

do you know if it takes mudguards and a rack?

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Or Boardman Sport Road bike at £160 in Stoke...

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm not far from you and spotted something on Gumtree Search 'Trek Alpha 1.2 Road Bike' - it's in Salford fully stripped refurbished and guaranteed at £250 - definitely worth a look.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
2 likes

Get down to Decathlon if you have one nearby and try a few of their bikes out. Cracking bikes for the money with good kit levels and perfect for commuting. Save £100 of your budget for accessories (most of the Decathlon stuff is good). Their in-store mechanics are well-trained and should be better than the guys in Halfords if you're looking at the Boardman.

Triban 520 Flat-bar will take mudguards and panniers, is very well-specced and is a triple so will get you up the hills on the way home.

The lower spec 500SE is very good value at £299 but I can't remember if takes rack and guards.

The other option is to buy secondhand from eBay - but you do need to know what you're looking for and also be able to assess the bike mechanically (i.e. what will need replacing and when - worn drivetrain, brake pads, pedals, tyres, bar tape (in order of cost)

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

On a slightly different note... If you get very sweaty riding under a load of clothes it's worth getting a long sleeved merino underlayer top? I got one, reluctantly - they're not cheap, and it's transformed my winter riding. They keep you really warm and, no matter how wet or sweaty they get, they never feel wet. I don't know how they manage that but they're great.

0 likes

Thanks for all your advice so far!! Does anyone know if you can fit a regular rucksack onto a rack or do I need to buy a special pannier bag?

brooksby replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

Thanks for all your advice so far!! Does anyone know if you can fit a regular rucksack onto a rack or do I need to buy a special pannier bag?

You *could* bungee the rucksack onto the rack, but that's a bit of a hack and you'd be better buying a pannier if you're going to make use of the rack.

simonmb | 6 years ago
2 likes

Go singlespeed / fixed. You can probably pick a used one up for £200 where you are, so no need to feel precious about it. It's a short journey, you'll hardly be in your stride after 4 miles and you'll be happy you kept it simple when winter comes and you're not having to worry about a gritty chain grinding your rings away. Just need to get the gearing right for that climb home! Check out BikeBlogger and his ss / fixed commutes. 

The Gavalier replied to simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

simonmb wrote:

Go singlespeed / fixed. You can probably pick a used one up for £200 where you are, so no need to feel precious about it. It's a short journey, you'll hardly be in your stride after 4 miles and you'll be happy you kept it simple when winter comes and you're not having to worry about a gritty chain grinding your rings away. Just need to get the gearing right for that climb home! Check out BikeBlogger and his ss / fixed commutes. 

He said it's uphill all the way back so not the best idea for a beginner. 

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

The Allez would be a very sound choice. Always a lot of Allezs parked at the uni where I study! Be very careful where you lock it though, a bike like the Allez is the exact sort that thieves target.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

The Allez would be a very sound choice. Always a lot of Allezs parked at the uni where I study! Be very careful where you lock it though, a bike like the Allez is the exact sort that thieves target.

I bought my son an Allez from Ebay to try and get him into cycling.  It was a great choice, when I rode it I thought it was pretty close to my bike which cost about 6 times as much.  I had planned to turn it into a winter hack for my own use, but he decided to take it to Uni.  It got nicked, although it had the back up cheapo lock on it at the time.  (The expensive decent one I had bought him was left at a mates house after a visit...)

It was easily the nicest bike at his Halls, so it was just a matter of time I think.  One of his mates has had 6 cheapo 50 quid specials stolen.

0 likes

knowing nothing about bikes, how do I know if a second hand bike is a dud or not?

Bigtwin replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

knowing nothing about bikes, how do I know if a second hand bike is a dud or not?

Try to find somethign that wasn't dirt cheap in the first place - no Haulfrauds. Old quality is far far bettern than newer rubbish.  Assume you might have to give it a git of TLC - cables and pads etc.  Get something around the 7 speed mark - chains and other consumables are cheap and durable.  Then see if the wheels are pretty straight and run OK (not excessive play and grinding noises) and the tyres aren't shot.  Check bottom bracket isn't all wobbly/noisy.  Talk to the owner - do they know what they are doing and how to look after a bike, or is it just a pub runner they never touch? Once you have ridden a few, you get a feel for what's half decent and what's rubbish.  If you are using Freecycle or similar, try to use one somwhere other than around the centre of a uni town, where demand is huge.  You'd be amazed what people give away in more rural areas - well worth giveing someone some petrol dosh to go and collect.

Toast | 6 years ago
0 likes

Unsure about the mounts. You can get mudguards for bikes that don't have them - I use Crud Roadracers. Racks I know less about, I use a backpack for the commute so there's nothing on the bike the rest of the time. Google is probably your friend here.

Simon is quite right about not needing SPD for a short commute, was thinking more if your miles build up.

As to other bike and kit recommendations, I suggest reading the reviews on here & Wiggle etc.

Bigtwin | 6 years ago
1 like

If you are spending £500 on a uni bike and don't have proper secure storage, I'd advise spending about £100 of that on some serious lockage.  I used to commute to one as a lecturer, and having scoped the place for the scraps and remains of decent bikes still attached to railings etc, I got a 14 speed Thing from Freecycle, put a new chain, freewheel and cables etc on it, and wrapped it in old tubes.  Locked it with 2 decent D locks (which I could leave on site luckily), always front wheel out locked to frame, take seat,  post and post QR collar with me.  It survived, and saved me the worry of wondering if my £50+ rear mech or whatever would still be there at the end of the afternoon if I was using a "decent bike".  Lost of my bright eyed new students who bought their nice bikes to commute on had very different outcomes.....

For that use and that distance, you need cheap transport you can afford to lose.

Simon E | 6 years ago
3 likes

University sites are hotspots for bike thefts so I'd buy something less desirable (but I'd still buy 2 decent locks as well, a thick cable lock and a D-lock). Cheap 'n' cheerful would be my suggestion. Try to find something that's not stolen via forums, ebay etc. Maybe a hybrid/flat-barred bike?

A decent waterproof jacket will make life more bearable in the rain, you might find one in Millets for a third of the price of a cycling-specific one. I wouldn't bother with fancy gear like padded shorts or SPD shoes for 4 miles. If you get into riding longer distances you can always get these later, along with a nicer bike.

yitzchokhaffner replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like

Simon E wrote:

University sites are hotspots for bike thefts so I'd buy something less desirable (but I'd still buy 2 decent locks as well, a thick cable lock and a D-lock). Cheap 'n' cheerful would be my suggestion. Try to find something that's not stolen via forums, ebay etc. Maybe a hybrid/flat-barred bike?

A decent waterproof jacket will make life more bearable in the rain, you might find one in Millets for a third of the price of a cycling-specific one. I wouldn't bother with fancy gear like padded shorts or SPD shoes for 4 miles. If you get into riding longer distances you can always get these later, along with a nicer bike.

thanks for the advice. re the gear I usually get very sweaty halfway there even if I start off freezing in the winter. I would be looking for something that keeps me warm but also wont make me sweat buckets. any advice?

Simon E replied to yitzchokhaffner | 6 years ago
0 likes

yitzchokhaffner wrote:

thanks for the advice. re the gear I usually get very sweaty halfway there even if I start off freezing in the winter. I would be looking for something that keeps me warm but also wont make me sweat buckets. any advice?

Like you, I have to start feeling cold to avoid overheating so most of the time a superlight showerproof jacket is fine. I vary what to wear underneath: on a mild day a short sleeved cycling jersey is fine, if it's cooler I'll add arm warmers, maybe slip in a carrier bag as an additional wind barrier for the first 15 minutes or so. If it's particularly cold I'll wear a merino baselayer and a cap (easily removed once I warm up).

Which jacket is best for you is down to fit as much as anything so try a few on for size, preferably while sat on a bike.

Toast | 6 years ago
0 likes

Oh, you may want to upgrade the pedals early on with any of those. For commuting & casual riding, consider SPD pedals rather than SPD-SL if you want to clip in. And a decent set of lights when it gets to winter is absolutely worth the money in extended cycling hours and reduced feeling like you might die :p I winced the first time I clicked "buy" on over a hundred quid's worth of glorified torches, but within a week was only regretting I'd not done it the year before.

Pages

Latest Comments