Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chinese carbon disc or fulcrum Racing quattro disc?

This is not my first wheel ask but please bear with me. I'm now thinking of either :

Lightbicycle.com 45mm wheels with sapim xray spokes & brass nipples,  and dt240s cl qr hubs (1590g approx) 

Or Fulcrum Racing Quattro Disc clincher cl qr (fulcrum hubs, generic spokes, alu nips, good rep, but around 100g heavier). 

Do I go for the riskier, better spec Chinese wheel, or are the fulcrum ample good enough? They are a bit heavier.. But so am i! Both wheelsets would cost around $900.

Any advice welcome (just had two months fruitless running around with dengfu, another Chinese carbon co.) 

Thanks a million

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

50kcommute | 6 years ago
1 like

Stayer cycles ... UK company , UK guarantee on wheels ..great value  1

BBB | 6 years ago
2 likes

Weight aside, I'd go for the far east option. Dt hub, brass nipples, Sapim CX-Ray spokes (preferably J-bend) and NORMAL spoke pattern just make more sense in every aspect. U-shaped rims  appear to have a good reputation, too. I've been trashing mine for well over a year.

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

Or save weight and money with a set of these:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-crd38-disc-carbon-c...

MarkOne replied to drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

drosco wrote:

Or save weight and money with a set of these:

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/products/wheels/cero-crd38-disc-carbon-c...

Funny, I live in Thailand now, but come from about five miles away from that company! 

Thanks for the tip but internal width is easy too narrow for me

Bigtwin | 6 years ago
1 like

Seems to don't need to save 100g, so get the Fulcrums. You know what you are getting and will have some sort of resort if there's a problem....

MarkOne replied to Bigtwin | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bigtwin wrote:

Seems to don't need to save 100g, so get the Fulcrums. You know what you are getting and will have some sort of resort if there's a problem....

good call.. But now I'm looking at some wider rims - 21mm+internally, for running 28mm tires on.. And over 150g lighter than the fulcrum... Still looking though! 

MarkOne replied to Bigtwin | 6 years ago
0 likes
Bigtwin wrote:

Yeah good points.. Though I'm looking at the wider internal room option now (21mm+)for wider tires ,comfort ,rolling resistance ... Should probably make my mind up sooner or later!

Latest Comments