Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib shorts recommendation

Looking for a new pair of shorts, have always went for mid priced (£60-£70ish) but bursitis in the sitz bone means that, once I'm recoverd and back out on the bike, I'll need to invest in shorts with excellent padding.

Any suggestions? Will probably be pushing the boat out (relatively speaking), max £120.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Team EPO | 6 years ago
0 likes
check12 | 6 years ago
1 like

any castelli shorts with the X2 pad, e.g. free aero 

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/363122/products/rutland-cycling-castelli-...

i'd go up a size from your usual bibs e.g if you are medium buy large

Freddy56 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Can't recommend Galibier bibs enough . The pads and materials are superb - I have three pair and the oldest still going strong after a few seasons hard riding.  BUT they are out of stock - so would recommend Castelli body paint.  Chamois is supportive and Wiggle have them on sale ATM 

Boombang | 6 years ago
1 like

Bought a pair of B'twin 900s recently, at first impressed but now have mixed views.  At the price though it's unbeatable.

Pad is good but feels bulky when climbing out of saddle.  Pad surface is gentle skin but seems to hold moisture, the overall material of the short does not breath that well.  On a hot day they get mighty sweaty!

For context I have been using Castelli Free Aero Race shorts in summer and Howies shorts / Castelli cheapy tights in winter depending on weather.

For summer use I would spend the extra on the Aero Race, they fit me better, comfort is better even with a pad half the thickness, and crucially they leave me fresher!

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
2 likes

Agreed.  I have two pairs of the non-Aerofit 900 model (same pad) and they are supremely comfy.  I like the low cut at the front for comfort breaks, the wide straps, and the wide dimply leg grippers.  For £40, they're incredible value.  Buy a pair and try them before dropping money on a more expensive option!

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

BTwin are excellent and great value. Road.cc and I agree on this, and I'm comparing with a pair of Rapha shorts (which are also very good but cost twice as much (small sizing too)).

http://road.cc/content/review/193172-btwin-aerofit-cycling-bib-shorts

kil0ran replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
2 likes

Duncann wrote:

BTwin are excellent and great value. Road.cc and I agree on this, and I'm comparing with a pair of Rapha shorts (which are also very good but cost twice as much (small sizing too)).

I have the non-aerofit version in both bibs and waists. Same pad as the aerofit. Comfy even on gravel tracks, no issues with 2-3 hour rides and I'm a heavy rider

Dnnnnnn replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

Duncann wrote:

I have the non-aerofit version in both bibs and waists. Same pad as the aerofit. Comfy even on gravel tracks, no issues with 2-3 hour rides and I'm a heavy rider

Mine are also non-aerofit - that was just the review I remembered/could find.

There's no difference in comfort between the aero/non-aero versions - just the former are probably worth 1.007485 watts over an hour when travelling at a constant 39.56834kph (ish).

Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

Have had various including Ale and Castelli, but favourites are definitely Giordana. Can get them from The Bike Rooms either on-line or in one of their three stores if your close enough. 

Disclaimer: I do NOT work for either Giordana or The Bike Rooms.

Latest Comments