Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Convert Fulcrum thru axel to QR?

Hey guys, does anyone know if it's possible to convert Fulcrum Racing Quattro Disc hubs from thru axel to QR? Bit specific, I know... Trying to get some for a caad12

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

As this trends highly on Google for this subject, and Fulcrum's user documentation isn't the greatest, I thought I'd post some instructions, as I'm currently converting some Fulcrum 4 DBs to QR. Whisper it quietly, but these instructions will also work for some Campy wheels, must be made in the same factory or something 

Generally, for most Fulcrum road wheels made in the last ten years the conversion is the same and hub shells are adapted using a mix of push fit end caps and screw on adapters. The shells are natively 15mm so there are end caps for 15mm, 12mm, and QR, and you can also convert the rear from 142mm to 135mm spacing or vice versa. I've not found boost adapters yet, but they might exist in the Fulcrum darkside parts catalog. 

Instructions for rear are as follows:

1. Remove NDS (non-drive side) end cap - it will just pull off, it's only interference fit and on my wheels was pretty loose.

2. Remove pre-load plastic collar on NDS. That's a conventional thread on both the 2.5mm hex fastener and the collar, which just unscrews revealing the axle which has flats for a 17mm cone spanner. With the collar removed you can push the axle out with the freehub attached but it's not necessary for this job and probably best to keep it in place, you don't want the freehub pawls falling out.

3. Switching to the drive side you'll find that the metal end cap also has flats which also take 17mm cone spanner. This is REVERSE THREAD. Hold the axle on the NDS with the 17mm cone spanner and undo the driveside cap clockwise (righty-loosey)

You can do the above without removing the axle or the freehub so it's pretty easy. The DS metal end cap was loose on my wheels too so didn't need much persuasion - go easy, which is why it makes sense to use cone spanners. 

For 142/12mm thru to 135mm QR for most Fulcrum road wheels you need this kit RM16-TA12135 plus the end caps which are part number KITFCRAQR

Refitting is the reverse of removal

For the fronts if you need to go from 100mm/12 or 100mm/15 thru to 100/QR or you "just" pull off the end caps and use part number RM11-TAQR. There are also end caps to go the other way, the adapters are completely interchangeable so you can go from 12 to 15 for example if you decide to use some road disc wheels on a gravel or XC frame. I say "just pull them off" because they're pretty tight. Mole grips will probably be needed. I haven't done mine yet but it looks like there's a lip you might be able to get purchase on with a drift/punch. 11mm wooden dowel would probably do the trick but be careful, particularly if you ever intend to convert back to thru-axle, you don't want to mar the axle.

To confirm exactly which caps and converters you need for your wheels look them up in the Fulcrum spare parts catalogue for the year of manufacture. If you're not sure of year of manufacture I think you can look it up by inputting the wheel label info/serial number into the website. Having said that the hub design hasn't changed much in recent years so if you're not sure just take a guess. Spare parts catalogs are here https://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/support/download-area/download-user-man...

Oh, being Campy (sorry, I mean Fulcrum) these adapters are ridiculuosly overpriced for what they are, particularly compared to FSA's similar system. However, you do need them, particularly for the rear as the wheel will be spaced to 142mm and so won't fit a 135mm spaced frame using one of those generic thru to QR axles you can get for a fiver from eBay. One of those would be OK for the front I guess but the front end caps are only about a tenner.

alexanderdemaet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Convert Fulcrum Qr to thru axel ?

Is there an adaptor available for the wheels Fulcrum Racing Quattro quick release (c17)? 
I have Canondale supersix evo ultegra with in front an through-axle. 
I just bought the Fulcrum wheelset (Quattro with QR). 
I hope there is an adapter available. 
The through-axle diameter is: 100*12mm. 

kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

According to Fulcrum they can be used with

QR, 12mm, 15mm on the front

QR, 12mm  on the rear

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-quattro-c...

MarkOne replied to kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

According to Fulcrum they can be used with

QR, 12mm, 15mm on the front

QR, 12mm  on the rear

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/wheels/road-bike-wheels/racing-quattro-c...

Great thank you

Latest Comments