Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wearing yellow in France

Should I?  Bought this from Galibier, mostly as I like it, but they're doing a charitable thing and I like supporting them.  It's become my fave jersey.  Fine for the downs at the crack on a Sunday, but too ballsy for a few days in France?  I am no Brian Robinson, and expecting to get slaughtered for even asking this...

http://galibier.cc/product/dauphine-libere/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Fluffed | 6 years ago
1 like

Wore a plain yellow jersey a couple of times on my first trips to the Alps,  got some cheers and 'Allez le maillot jaune's when climbing, and not in a the sarcastic way you'd get in the UK .

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mate wore the yellow Jersey when we went to see the tour. Riding up alpe d'huez he stopped for water. The crowd loved it - running over with parasols to shade him. Definitely do it. They're far more friendly than cliquey British cyclist seem to be.

fenix | 6 years ago
2 likes

Mate wore the yellow Jersey when we went to see the tour. Riding up alpe d'huez he stopped for water. The crowd loved it - running over with parasols to shade him. Definitely do it. They're far more friendly than cliquey British cyclist seem to be.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
1 like

People are very friendly over there. if they see you in yellow, that will pour a bidon full of frothy Radler (shandy) over your back.

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
2 likes

Wherever you are, wear whatever you have or want to.

If anyone is sneering, it just means they are dicks!

Pay no mind to those that call 'all the gear, no idea' or FKW....

Go out and enjoy yourself, have fun, a laugh, come home tired and glow with the warmth of a great days/weeks cycling.

FatBoyW | 6 years ago
1 like

Looks a lovely tribute shirt.

I've only ever heard cheeers and claps of support when in France - even when riding alone at incredibly slow speeds.

I thought issues with team kit are NOT about wearing it per se but that it is poor form to wear the full set socks, mitts, shorts all at once from one team - as this is impersonation.

Similarly it is difficult to see how a national jersey or WC rings can be worn - since by their nature they are worn with 'other' kit. Whereas wearing those Mapei shorts with a cofidis top is fine and the more 70s colour disaster the better!

Its much more fun when beside a rider with little rainbow stripes on his glasses/helmet etc to be reminded that he really IS a rightful wearer!

I'd have thought the 'full kit' thing doesn't apply to retro either.

Wear with pride! 

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
1 like

The first day I ever rode in France I wore my Union Flag jersey (it was just after Wiggo won the TdF) and was pushing my bike up a hill steeper than anything I'd encountered on the Cheshire plain when I was passed by a bunch of laughing French cyclists.   Several were wearing polka dot jerseys which really rubbed it in.

Beecho | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks all. I shall wear it with pride mail

CycleDivvy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Do it - that's a great jersey. 

As everyone has already said, there isn't the hang-ups that we seem to have over her with regards to wearing team kit.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
1 like

Kinda makes you wonder how British (and US) cyclists got here - looking down on team kits, winners' jerseys, points competition jerseys, etc.?   The nuance being, of course, that some old jerseys are deemed stylish and therefore show pedigree.  

European cyclists don't seem to share these attitudes and they don't prevail in other sports followed here.  You can blame The Rules, but perhaps its because the teams are ephemeral, commercial constructs rather than geographically based around a city, county or country or perhaps its because cycling is the prevail of miserable old gits who can't fit into a Santini 4XL shirt  1 That's me too, by the way. 

Canyon48 replied to Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
2 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

Kinda makes you wonder how British (and US) cyclists got here - looking down on team kits, winners' jerseys, points competition jerseys, etc.?   The nuance being, of course, that some old jerseys are deemed stylish and therefore show pedigree.  

European cyclists don't seem to share these attitudes and they don't prevail in other sports followed here.  You can blame The Rules, but perhaps its because the teams are ephemeral, commercial constructs rather than geographically based around a city, county or country or perhaps its because cycling is the prevail of miserable old gits who can't fit into a Santini 4XL shirt  1 That's me too, by the way. 

Gotta admit, I couldn't wear team kit or leaders (points, etc, whatever) out on a ride. I'd just feel a little.... silly, seeing as I'm not pro. Kind of like I don't wear full Mercedes F1 kit when I'm driving or Jamaican Olympic team colours when I go for a run.

Full supporter of wearing team kit caps etc though, as a little nod to supporting a team (aka paying their sponsors and cycling around like an advertisement).

bobbinogs | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yepp, over in Europe they seem to have no qualms whatsoever about team kit or winners jerseys.  You will find any number of folks in polka dots, yellow/pink or dressed head to toe in Saxo Tinkoff like Dirty Bertie who is over 30.  In a way it is quite refreshing, and it's always nice to pass the KOM on a climb  1

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

When I spent a week cycling in France, loads of the local cyclists were wearing team kit.

I most distinctly remember a rather rotund older gentleman *only* wearing pink Giro leader Mapei Quickstep bib shorts riding a tired old looking hybrid.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

People who stand out riding a bike on the continent, are usually people from Britain wearing muted colours with no logo's or writing on.

Mario Cipollini is serving his fifteenth term in office as the King of fashion on the roads of Europe and everyone wears brown or white shorts in France. Three years ago, six thousand bakers from the Bourgogne region walked out on strike when Ag2r La Monde announced they were muting their their harlequin print design to incorperate just the odd harlequin instead of all over pattern.

I think that bobby dazzler of a Galibier jersey will be laughed at for not being yellow enough, inside tip - pack small blocks of cheese in your pockets to hurl in any detractors direction, works for me every time.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
3 likes

Seen plenty of people riding in yellow jerseys in France.  They seem less snobby about it over there... as Dave says, nice jersey, good cause.   

davel | 6 years ago
2 likes

Do it: nice jersey, good cause(s), and I reckon you'd run Brian close these days  1

Lincolndave | 6 years ago
2 likes

Why shouldn't you wear it in France..?, I am sure you will see a few more cyclists in yellow

Latest Comments