Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling in a Thunderstorm?

Wanted to get out for a spin after work this evening, but the forecast is for thunderstorms between 7-9pm.

Is it safe to cycle with lightening about?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

davel | 6 years ago
3 likes

Who doesn't have an anti-leopard rock?

Lighten the fuck up, people.

panyagua | 6 years ago
0 likes

When I was at school many years ago, a lad was struck by lightning on a school cycling trip to the Netherlands.  He eventually made a full recovery, but spent six weeks in hospital.  It's made me rather wary of being out in  thunderstorms ever since.

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd not bother in a thunderstorm.  I remember camping one year in a flat area - awoke at 7am to a huge thunderstorm.  Got the family out of the tent and into the car and we went for an early breakfast.  (surprisingly hard to find at 7am on a sunday in wales).

Came back later after it had subsided.  Read the paper the next day and a herd of cows had been killed as they sheltered under a tree in an adjacent field. 16 of them - the poor buggers.

I'd not mess around with lightning.

Welsh boy replied to fenix | 6 years ago
3 likes

fenix wrote:

I'd not bother in a thunderstorm.  I remember camping one year in a flat area - awoke at 7am to a huge thunderstorm.  Got the family out of the tent and into the car and we went for an early breakfast.  (surprisingly hard to find at 7am on a sunday in wales).

Came back later after it had subsided.  Read the paper the next day and a herd of cows had been killed as they sheltered under a tree in an adjacent field. 16 of them - the poor buggers.

I'd not mess around with lightning.

Shame you went out for breakfast, i hear there was BBQ beef on offer at your camp site.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

About three people a year are killed by being struck by lightening in the UK, frankly I've far more dangerous things to worry about and I live in the East of England which is stated as being the area with most lightening strikes in the UK.

And as above, the tyres on your bike won't do anything, the atmosphere itself is a bigger resistor to lightening than the rubber in your tyres car or bike.

hawkinspeter replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
6 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

About three people a year are killed by being struck by lightening in the UK, frankly I've far more dangerous things to worry about and I live in the East of England which is stated as being the area with most lightening strikes in the UK.

And as above, the tyres on your bike won't do anything, the atmosphere itself is a bigger resistor to lightening than the rubber in your tyres car or bike.

The facts are undeniable:

• I always cycle with a a healthy bit of rubber between the road and me/me bike
  • I've never been struck by lightning whilst cycling

In fact, my tyres are almost as effective as my anti-leopard rock that I keep in my garden.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

The facts are undeniable:

• I always cycle with a a healthy bit of rubber between the road and me/me bike
  • I've never been struck by lightning whilst cycling

In fact, my tyres are almost as effective as my anti-leopard rock that I keep in my garden.

Your point being?

I've already stated I'm not bothered about lightening whilst cycling because it's such a minor issue, cycling with rubber on your wheels is pretty essential to modern day cycling but is no help in terms of dissapating lightning away from you whilst cycling and I was agreeing with a poster above regarding such.

So what bit of what i said don't you agree with or are you trying to be a clever dick without actually saying anything useful?

hawkinspeter replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Your point being?

I've already stated I'm not bothered about lightening whilst cycling because it's such a minor issue, cycling with rubber on your wheels is pretty essential to modern day cycling but is no help in terms of dissapating lightning away from you whilst cycling and I was agreeing with a poster above regarding such.

So what bit of what i said don't you agree with or are you trying to be a clever dick without actually saying anything useful?

I thought this thread needed some lightening up. (I don't want to rain on your parade or steal your thunder.)

Arno du Galibier | 6 years ago
0 likes

I mountain biked into a thunderstorm a while back in the Portes du Soleil (one of those lift-assisted loops). I had to wait for the lift to re-open to get back into France from Switzerland half way back down to Chatel, it all kicked off. It was quite exhilerating.

Couple of AG2R moments in places though (Thanks Gaz for that joke...) 

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think you'd be safer on a bike than walking. You've got a nice layer of rubber insulating you from the road surface, so almost anything else would be struck by lightning before you would be.

Canyon48 replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I think you'd be safer on a bike than walking. You've got a nice layer of rubber insulating you from the road surface, so almost anything else would be struck by lightning before you would be.

A typical lightning strike in the UK carries about 20000 Amps and has no problem travelling through several hundred feet of air - a few mm of rubber is no way near enough resistance to prevent a lightning strike.

When you're walking/standing in a thunderstorm, the rubber soles of your shoes wouldn't prevent a lightning strike, tryes won't either.

hawkinspeter replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

A typical lightning strike in the UK carries about 20000 Amps and has no problem travelling through several hundred feet of air - a few mm of rubber is no way near enough resistance to prevent a lightning strike.

When you're walking/standing in a thunderstorm, the rubber soles of your shoes wouldn't prevent a lightning strike, tryes won't either.

Admittedly, I haven't tested it, but I would have thought that the insulation would ensure that the easiest route to earth wouldn't be through you. I've never been struck by lightning whilst wearing rubber soled shoes either.

. . replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Admittedly, I haven't tested it, but I would have thought that the insulation would ensure that the easiest route to earth wouldn't be through you.

Ask yourself what the easier route would be: an inch of rubber or six feet of air.

Indoors or in an enclosed vehicle is the safest place to be in a thunderstorm.  If that isn't possible, get below a taller object - but not too close to a tree as they are prone to exploding when hit by lightning.

Al__S | 6 years ago
1 like

I love riding in a downpour on a hot day. Not sure I'd love it as much with electricity

pablo | 6 years ago
4 likes

I got caught big time last year when the rain started I just laughed the road disappeared in a matter of seconds and I thought sod it just enjoy the slow ride back. I wasn't laughing when a bolt landed in the field next to me I think some wee escaped.

BobbyG | 6 years ago
1 like

I went anyway, there wasn't any  1

sergius | 6 years ago
2 likes

This reminded me of a quote by the late (great) Terry Pratchet, "it's about as sensible as standing on a hill in a thunderstorm shouting 'All gods are bastards!'".

I've nothing sensible to add to the OP, other than I've been caught out in a thunderstorm on a sportive once, I was far more worried about the lack of visibility (sunglasses + biblical rain don't mix) and standing water on the road than lightning.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
3 likes

Yes and no.

Both metal and carbon fibre bicycles are conductive and both will accumulate a (very slight) positive charge, just like a car/plane does during travel.

Lightning travels from the bottom clouds (negatively charged) to the earth's surface (positively charged), so you could potentially be at risk.

If you live somewhere totally flat with no high objects/trees etc (parts of Nebraska), I'd probably suggest it's best not to cycle! If, however, you don't live in such and area then I doubt you are at any more risk of being struck just because you are on a bicycle as opposed to walking etc.

Despite this, really, regardless of wether cycling or walking, it's best to stay inside.

If you REALLY want to go for a cycle you would be best cycling with someone taller than you, wearing a big metal spike on their helmet.

Gizzard replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

wellsprop wrote:

If you REALLY want to go for a cycle you would be best cycling with someone taller than you, wearing a big metal spike on their helmet.

I have an earthing strip on my pickelhaube.

CycleDivvy replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

I doubt they're very common!

Latest Comments