Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bibs for taller riders

A question for all you tall riders out there. Who makes bib shorts with longer than average leg length?

I know Endura do a long leg version of the SL Pro (and I have a pair), but I can't find any others. Assos used to sell a long version of the S5 but the outlet only has white and in the TIR size which is a bit baggy on me. They don't seem to have replaced this version in their current range.

Thanks, Matt

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

johnvrcc | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 198cm with a 100cm inside leg. Best bibs I've found are Lusso. I'm narrow and skinny and find the XL legs fit very well. The bib straps are too long for me, but they will shorten these FOC if you buy direct. They even do made to measure shorts but I'm not sure how much that costs.

DHB's ASV race bibs are my second favourite (size XXL), but the legs ride up slightly

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

At this time of year, I'd prefer shorter shorts.  Although obviously not as short as Kylie's or a 70's footballer...

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6'4'' also with a 36 inch leg and I find the Alé bib shorts have a good long leg length and the bibs are a good fit. If you get them from Wiggle they do free returns..
I tried Castelli and they didn't fit.
But then I'm xxl in the Alé and the xxl Castelli were a very snug fit.

MrB123 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've recently got some of the new Rapha Pro Team bibs in the longer length version which are nice, but hideously expensive unless you've got a discount code.

The absolute best bibs I've tried for the taller rider are the Pactimo Summit Raptors, long leg version which are excellent in every way. Lovely long leg length and very stretchy bibs. You can always find 30% off codes if you hunt around or they are bound to have a good sale on during the Tour.

A slightly cheaper option are the Santini Edge shorts sold by Prendas which are also pretty generous in terms of length.

For reference, I'm 6'4", 35 inch leg. 32 waist, 12 stone. I take medium in the Pactimos and large in the Raphas and Santini.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

Rapha does a LL version of some of its shorts.  Try their Archive Sale on their website.  They have Pro Team XXLs at GBP120 a pair.  

PaulBox | 6 years ago
0 likes

Unless you look like Kevin Keegan in the 70's I don't really understand what the issue is.

Is it that you just don't like a big gap between your knee and the bottom of the shorts?

Agengineer replied to PaulBox | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will take a look online and order some to try on.

PaulBox wrote:

Unless you look like Kevin Keegan in the 70's I don't really understand what the issue is.

Is it that you just don't like a big gap between your knee and the bottom of the shorts?

It is exactly that. I am 6"8 with 37in, so long leg bibs on me will fit like a normal pair on the average sized person. Imagine taking your bib shorts and cutting a couple of inches off the bottle of the leg. That is how normal bibs fit on me

Agengineer | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to ride with undershorts and moving to bibs was like a breath of fresh air as everything stayed where it should be during the ride and the comfort improved massively. I don't have an issue with strap length / comfort (sorry I probably wasn't clear in my post) it is more an issue leg length

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you considered non-bibs?  I have some from Lusso, proper cycling shorts with a good pad, I prefer them to my bibs.  As comfy and way more convenient on longer rides.  I got shot down last time I suggested non-bib shorts, as apparently "no serious cyclists" would ride without bib shorts...

Scheißenberg | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 196cm (6'5) and use Endura.
I find they're quite long in the body too so don't feel like my shoulders are being pulled down.

Latest Comments