Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thule ProRide 598 with Carbon Road Bike?

I'm considering buying a Thule bike rack for the car. Seems like the only recommended bike carrier from Thule to carry carbon bikes on the roof is the Spint XT 569. This carrier requires that you take the front wheel off and clamp the front forks into the carrier.

I would prefer not to take the front wheel off if possible just to save space when the car is full on holiday trips etc. In particular if I've got multiple bikes on top if would be much easier not to remove the front wheels.

The ProRide 598 doesn't require that front wheel be removed but is not specifically recommended for use with carbon bikes, seems like Thule suggest checking with the bike manufacturer before use with carbon. My road bike is a carbon Trek Domane.

Any one have experience with the ProRide 598 and carbon bikes or any thoughs on the above please?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

OuchMyLegsHurt | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Folks,

Just to add to this, i got in touch with Giant directly asking if i could use the 598. There reply was (cut and paste verbatim):

"Thankyou for your inquiry – overall we do not recommend using bike racks/carriers, however we understand that they are sometimes necessary.

In terms of advise, we would strongly suggest the anchor point on the fork rather than the frame with carbon material bikes, so a Thule Sprint XT or something similar." 

To my mind (at least they way i read the above) - it sounds reasonably clear - they do not recommend the 598. Fork mounted it is - i personally would rather put up with a little extra grief rather than drive 200 miles with my bike on the roof, only to find it had been broken in transit.

barongreenback | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use the Thule 598 with my carbon Trek Domane.  Has been on several 150 mile+ motorway trips, over the odd speed bump, in the rain and wind and without any damage.  I bought the extra carbon frame protector although as the tubes are so wide at the bottom of the Domane, I'm not sure it makes any difference to the spread of the load.

nadsta | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have the Thule without the torque limiter and used it on 4 carbon bikes of my own so far (inc one with a super light frame) without damage, for hundreds of motorway miles. 

However I'm thinking of changing to this as it's way more convenient and fuel efficient as it's so easy to remove. http://upsideracks.com/

hogkite | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the input.......I'll take a look at the other options also, seems like using the 598 or 591 from Thule will probably be fine.

Jeffmcguinness | 6 years ago
0 likes

FWIW I have used the 591 for a few years with my carbon bike (Cube Agree GTC Race) and have had no problems.  As mrml has mentioned, the clamp itself doesn't need to be overtight to hold the bike securely so as long as you don't go all 'Joe 90' on the clamp you should be fine 

I think the 598 has a torque limiter to help with that...although what is the torque limit for clamping a carbon frame across its surface?

arckuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had a Thule 532 which I used a few times for taking my carbon framed bike, I used some padding to spread the load along the length of the frame. I think that a wrap of thin foam, with some thin plywood outside would be ideal. I guess frame cross sectional shape comes into it - if the cross section is square then it's going to be easier to spread the load. I never felt really happy with the arrangement, and replaced it with an Elite San Remo carrier, which worked pretty well, although I think the forces act through the front fork in extension rather than the usual compression. Eventually, I got a Saris Bones to put the bike behind the car, which I am much happier with - that much bike sticking up just made me nervous!

mrml | 6 years ago
0 likes

It may not be specifically recommended for carbon bikes, but when I was considering whether to buy the ProRide 598, I thought I read that it has a torque limiter on the clamp to avoid overtightening on the frame.  It has a couple of other small improvements too.  

Having said that, I have used the  ProRide 591s for my carbon bikes for a few years and I don't have any concerns about frame damage.  The clamp doesn't need to grip very tightly to hold the bike securely.  

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

You can also use the OutRide 561 for carbon bikes, but same problem of fork mounting.

You can get a separate carrier for the front wheel, but might not help you if you're tighton space on your roof bars - see near the bottom here: https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-accessories.php

If you want a carrier for a carbon bike that doesn't involve clamping the frame or removing the wheel, try the Yakima Front Loader or Inno Tyre Hold ones listed here:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range.php

Latest Comments