Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

GT Grade Carbon 105 - Help with Fit

Hello All,

I am 35, 5'9.5" and about 155lbs. I ride a trail mountain bike on the weekends (Kona Process) and am now looking to buy a gravel bike for commuting and fun rides after work through local gravel paths and on the road. 

I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 GT Grade Carbon 105 at my local shop at a good price. My issue is fit. The bike used their mesuring apparatice and determined that my inseam suits a 56.5 frame and that my torso suits a 53. I

I Test rode a 55 and a 53. The bar height of the 55 felt better. The 53 felt a little low (but I am used to riding amountain bike, so I am not sure hopw it should feel). The 55 was definitely too long for me in its stock configuration, giving me neck pain on my demo ride. The guys at the shop suggested that I go with the 53. I was advised that a little extra drop from saddle to bars is good for speed and maneuverability. However, I can't stop thinking that the 55 seems like a better fit for my inseam and that they should just put a shorter stem and maybe a saddle with less setback on the bike. 

What should I do? Smaller frame with more hunched over posture or larger frame with modifications to stem and or saddle setback? I love going fast, however I also want this bike to be comfortable for long rides and fun to play around on in the local single track trails. 

Thanks! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes

I’m 5’10” and went for the 55cm. I have long body, short leg and after reading they came up big was worried I’d gone for the wrong size. However it’s absolutely spot on, plenty of seat post showing, and a slammed 120mm stem. Perfect. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

6 feet tall, slightly longer leg than body. I ordered the 55 and compared to other bikes, sent it back for the 56. It's a little taller and longer than my 56 Cannondale but I wanted that. I went for the alloy 105, great wet bike!

jimbobule | 6 years ago
0 likes

Im just under 6'1'' and had a go on a 58 and 56cm. The 58 was HUGE and the 56cm spot on. See the GT grade group on facebook -they do run quite big.

I bought a 56..

The stock wheels are tubby. Recommend changing them straight away for some cheapy but goody prime wheels or similar from CRC..

Simboid | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm the same height as you but with shorter legs and my 53 ('small' in the UK) 2016 Grade 105 Carbon feels like a perfect fit. These bikes are big, this size is a medium at least by any other manufacturer so don't be put off by 'going small' because really you aren't.

For me, even a small had a bit too much reach and I replaced the stock GT stem (which I think is +-7 100mm, though GT don't specify) with a Zipp Service Course +-6 90mm and it felt bang on. At the same time I replaced the bars with Zipp Service Course 80 in 44cm as I wasn't too keen on the flare of the GT ones and wanted a bit more width on the flat part of the bar.

Also, if you go for the larger size, you won't have very much seatpost exposed. For stock issue it's a very good seatpost and you won't be taking advantage of this if there's not much sticking out above your frame flexing and absorbing buzz as it should.

Generally the level of finishing kit on the Grade is outstanding by comparison to others you might be looking at. This really swayed me especially as, like you, I got a good deal. The Stan's Grail are a perfect mix of toughness and versatility and I would strongly recommend going tubeless as these wheels make it so easy, they were actually designed for the Grade. I'd say I haven't had a puncture since going tubeless but that's not true. It would be more accurate to say I haven't had to fix a puncture since going tubeless. When you find in the morning your tyre is flat, you pump it up and go for a ride and it's fixed! Genius. I used thin rim tape just in the channel, covering the spokes, and fitted Scwalbe S-One (now G-One Speed) with no problems.

Back to the fitting, I'd take the advice of the professionals in your bike shop.  They've seen you on it and they know when a bike is the right size for someone. It sounds like they've got it right to me and as others have said, you can fit a bike out to be bigger but you can't make one smaller.

Hoffmonkey | 6 years ago
0 likes

6ft and I ride a 55. I still feel quite stretched out. I've heard from various sources that the GT Grade runs big so most people tend to go a bit lower than they otherwise would.

Also, the smaller the frame, the less of the triple triangle effect there is on the frame - aesthetically, I think the smaller bikes look prettier around the seat stays and seat post area!!

Good luck, I'm more than happy with my 55 - done 1700 miles on it on tow paths and on road and it's been great. 

b8nducci replied to Hoffmonkey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hoffmonkey wrote:

6ft and I ride a 55. I still feel quite stretched out. I've heard from various sources that the GT Grade runs big so most people tend to go a bit lower than they otherwise would.

Also, the smaller the frame, the less of the triple triangle effect there is on the frame - aesthetically, I think the smaller bikes look prettier around the seat stays and seat post area!!

Good luck, I'm more than happy with my 55 - done 1700 miles on it on tow paths and on road and it's been great. 

HI, I was looking into the Grade and am worried about it being to big at 56cm. I am 6 ft with a 32.5 in inseam and 25 inch arms. Do you think I should look into a 55cm? thanks for ur help

Fifth Gear replied to b8nducci | 6 years ago
0 likes

b8nducci wrote:

Hoffmonkey wrote:

HI, I was looking into the Grade and am worried about it being to big at 56cm. I am 6 ft with a 32.5 in inseam and 25 inch arms. Do you think I should look into a 55cm? thanks for ur help

I have longer legs than you. My 56 cm Grade has a 160mm head tube, the new one 162mm. I reckon the 55cm size would suit you but either would probably be OK.

This is the sizing guide on Wiggle:

51cm              53cm                 55cm               56cm           58cm                   60cm
Height cm 158 - 168cm 168 - 175cm 175 - 183cm 183 - 191cm 191 - 196cm 195 - 200cm
ft                   5′ 2″ - 5′ 6″        5′ 6″ - 5′ 9″      5′ 9″ - 6′ 0″    6′ 0″ - 6′ 3″   6′ 3″ - 6′ 5″     6′ 5″ - 6′ 7″
Inside Leg cm 72 - 78cm  77cm- 82.5cm 81.5 - 87cm 86 - 89.5cm 89.5 - 93cm  92 - 96cm
inches                 28″ - 31″   30″ - 32″               32″ - 34″        34″ - 35″       35″ - 37″        36″ - 38″

51cm 53cm        55cm        56cm       58cm        60cm
Seat Tube - Center to Top mm 495mm 535mm 550mm 560mm 605mm 635mm
Top Tube (Virtual) mm                515mm 535mm 550mm 565mm 580mm 600mm
Stack mm                                          624mm 772mm 786mm 800mm 829mm 843mm
Reach mm                                         428mm 433mm 447mm 456mm 458mm 474mm
Standover Height mm                  742mm 772mm 786mm 800mm 829mm 843mm
Head Tube Angle Degrees           69° 70° 70.5° 71.5° 72° 72°
Seat Tube Angle Degrees             74.5° 73.5° 73° 73° 72.5° 72°
Chainstay Length mm                   430mm 430mm 430mm 430mm 430mm 430mm
Head Tube mm                                 121mm 142mm 162mm 182mm 207mm 231mm
Bottom Bracket Height mm        280mm 280mm 280mm 280mm 280mm 280mm
Fork Rake mm                                   45mm 45mm 45mm 45mm 45mm 45mm
Wheelbase mm 1017mm 1019mm 1025mm 1031mm 1035mm 1049mm
Bottom Bracket Drop mm 70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm 70mm
Front Centre mm 597mm 599mm 605mm 610mm 615mm 628mm

Boombang | 6 years ago
0 likes

Your height is only part of the puzzle, fit depends massively on things like core strength, arm length, flexibility and even as simple as your 'effective torso' length.  Personally I think inseam is almost irrelevant.

A small frame can be fitted bigger but a larger one not fitted smaller (beyond short or a increased angle stem - like a 17 degree).  Limitations in sizing up a smaller frame are obviously bar drop as you experienced, but also toe overlap with front wheel, seat post (can buy a longer one within reason), and handling slows as stem length increases (also note that stem length and fork geometry work together, so some bikes more sensitive than others to length change and some suit a longer or shorter stem by design).

Moving saddle forward will put more weight on hands and neck, it is not a good way to make a bike that's too long fit.

If the 55 is too big and cannot be made entirely comfortable without a stem shorter than 90mm or so then leave it.  If the 53 is too low and can't be made entirely comfortable with spacers and a flipped stem the leave it.

If neither works perhaps a taller more endurance frame would suit, and this is not the bike for you.

nadsta | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5'9" on a good day and had a 55 carbon grade 105 with a slammed longer stem than the stock one. My inseam is about 32" and seat was set quite high. 53 frame was way too small. Perhaps you're used to a more upright MTB set up,so you could  get the the larger bike and swap the stem for a shorter one with all the spacers fitted . Remove a spacer everyone few months and eventually you'll end up in a new position where you won't need spacers and can go back to the longer stock stem, again adding and removing spacers. A smaller frame at that height may well give you overlap probs if you fit mud guards. 

Carton | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think fit is absolutely crucial but it is tied to function. If you want an easier commuter and better off-road bike I'd think about the 55 and maybe shortening the stem. If what you want is mainly a road bike, however, I'd go with the 53 and perhaps a longer stem with a bit of rise.  You might eventually even end up lowering the bike a few spacers as you get used to the position. 

Inseam is the least meaningful measurement. If anything I'd advocate the longer seat post for a little extra flex. Too little tube sticking out makes for a harsher ride, IMHO.

P.S. I'm 6'1". I ride a 56cm road bike and a 19.5" MTB.

Fifth Gear | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am 6 feet and ride the 56 but could have gone for the 55. The 53 sounds like the best bet for you.

b8nducci replied to Fifth Gear | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fifth Gear wrote:

I am 6 feet and ride the 56 but could have gone for the 55. The 53 sounds like the best bet for you.

HI 5th gear

I am looking into the Grade and was wondering if you could help me out? I am 6ft with a 32.4 inseam and 25 inc arm length. I was looking at the 56cm. What size stem does this come with and do you think the 56 would be to big?

kev345 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, probably going to put a spanner in the works but for what it is worth - I am about the same height as you, 20 years older and I have ridden thousands of miles on my 55cm 2015 carbon grade on and off-road with no problems.  

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5'11 and ride a Cannondale 54 everyday. I'm between sizes generally and have always sized down without it ever being an issue.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

For the amount of aggro getting the bar height right and you looking like you're riding a childs frame plus even with the stem flipped (or god forbid an ugly 20degree upangled) there might notbe enough steerer length to achieve an ideal/comfy position. Get the bigger size and just buy a stem 20mm shorter.
Some stating this will hqve an adverse affect on handling...okay whatever, I guess when you see 130/140/150/160 stens on bikes for frames that are way too small that doesn't have an effect either and these are often pros.

Stu Kerton | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm about an inch taller than you and I'd say that I'm right on the lower limit of being able to fit on the 55cm Grade Ultegra Carbon that I've been riding since November.

For the Dirty Reiver I replaced the setback seatpost with an in-line one which made a big difference in terms of feeling less stretched out but I reckon you'll be better of with the 53cm.

Rod Marton | 6 years ago
0 likes

Go for the 53. You say the 55 feels too long, there isn't much you can do to adjust the length without altering the characteristics of the bike for the worse. I always regard the reach as the key measurement on the bike: get it wrong and there isn't much you can do about it. But it quite possible to raise or lower the saddle and bars without any adverse effect.

Thelma Viaduct | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm same height, 55 was way too big, went for 53cm carbon Ultegra. I've got short legs, bike if anything still seems a little large for me, not much seat post showing. Stem is flipped like above suggests too. I ride medium/18" mtbs.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
1 like

Go the 53 and flip the stem.

Latest Comments