Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aero differences 22-35mm rims?

Just wondering if Id get any noticable benefit going from a 22mm rim ( Kinlin xr-200) to a mid section 35mm (Vision team 35).

Weight difference between the two wheels is about 125g so not significant really.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

very honest answer, and one that my wallet appreciates thanks

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

Your wheels have very little to do with keeping up momentum (4oogm of rim and tyre vs 90 kg of rider and bike.) I'll be brutally honest, it's in your head. I have C35' clinchers and FFwd 60mm tub rims. The 60 mm rims will save me about 30 sec at most in a 40 k TT.  In a bunch you probably couldn't measure the difference with a power meter. The difference between 22's and 35's would I suspect be even less. With my wheels the FFwds are about 400 gm lighter as a wheel set than the C35's, and I suspect most of the difference I "feel" with them is also in my head.

And on the crosswind thing, don't let that put you off. I've been riding and racing for 30 years. I can feel no difference at all between 24 mm training rims and C35's in an absolute howling gale. Don't let that idea put you off if you want them.

If you want them, get them, but don't expect to be able to measure the difference.

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bump

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

any other opinons?

bechdan | 6 years ago
0 likes

mostly open hilly roads, and moors. I noticed on a recent sportive that I couldnt keep up momentum as well with my best wheelset compared to my training wheels (e.g the training front wheel weighs 1kg without tyre but is about 30mm depth), but acceleration and climbing is much better. So is it a weight thing or an aero thing?

Simon E | 6 years ago
3 likes

Not sure you'd consider it a benefit but your wallet will be lighter. Otherwise it's probably negligible.

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

More noticable will be stiffness, if the Vision's are designed to be higher in this regard then that's what you'll notice the most - accelerating out of saddle etc

pablo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not much difference I'd imagine you'd be slightly more susceptible to cross winds but not much more at alot of that comes down to profile.
As an example I went from a 50mm old school pointy carbon wheels to 'new' fat round profile wheels. The old wheels used to scare the life out of me in anything above 12mph winds the new ones I'm happy riding them at 16mph. Have to take it easy going down hill but it's not a white knuckle ride as it was before.

bobbinogs | 6 years ago
0 likes

What kind of riding you do (typical parcours, solo/group and speed) will make the answer highly variable...and will probably end up "35mm looks better".

Latest Comments