Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Lezyne Super GPS yr 10 - GPX upload

Hi,

I've had my Lezyne Super Gps yr 10 for about a month and apart from ANT+ adding 20-40 bpm to my HR (which seeing that gave me a brand new highest ever HR record) I have connected it succesfully to my Android phone, my Decathlon Geonaute HRM and the Geonaute Cadence & Speed sensor so I've happy.  I've now more data than I can shake a stick at - none of it makes me faster I just look proficient and knowledgable now - and bore for England!

When I use GPS Root to create a route its OK, however if I find a .GPX file and upload it, which Lezyne says it can do it get flaky and weird.  Am I missing something or are other users having a similar problem.  Even better has someone solved the issue? Are .TCX files more compatible with Lezyne's .fit ????

Thanks in advance.

Julian

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

JulesC | 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi @monkeybikegirl

I've been doing the following succesfully for a couple of years now, so hope this helps you.

1/ In RWGPS create a route

2/ Download completed route as .TCX (a .GPX has no turn by turn data).

3/ Import the .TCX file into Lezyne GPS root website and specifically my account on a PC (I guess Chroimebook or Mac would work too).

4/ Sync phone with GPS Root saved routes (sync option or drag down).

5/ Once the Lezyne GPS head unit has found the GPS satellites transfer it across BUT do not allow the phone to sleep/change apps.  Once its completed transfer its all good to go.

Hope that 's different to what you're doing & fixes the problem.

PS I have used a Sony Xperia & Samsung S10.

monkeybikegirl | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just wondering if anyone has solved the file transfer of GPX.  I  copied some rides in Ride with GPS and saved them as "routes" and then saved them as TCX files and then copy the TCX files over the the Ally App but the App copies them over as GPX-3D and my phone will try to send but will not go through to the GPS unit.   Anyone else have the same issue and hopefully solved?  I tried contacing Lezyne but they will only help if you are American.  Ride with GPS gave me a free trial of their Premium to see if that would make a difference with saving which it did not.   I have everything updated and am using a Samsung S9 phone.   I've also sent a bad review to the Ally App and am still waiting to see if I get a response from them. 

Geraldaut | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,
I am really having troubles to transfer GPX tracks from the Ally App to the GPS Unit. The GPX are exported from Strava. I'll try to import / export with Ride with GPS to try if it helps. Thanks for the hint!

Geraldaut | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,
I am really having troubles to transfer GPX tracks from the Ally App to the GPS Unit. The GPX are exported from Strava. I'll try to import / export with Ride with GPS to try if it helps. Thanks for the hint!

JulesC | 6 years ago
0 likes

Kelly's Eye & everyone else,

Well I did the Sportive and used the .TCX with turn by turn for the route created on RWGPS and basically with only a few errors when I guessed the qwrong turn from their .PDF which the Lezyne then compensated for after we rejoined "my" planned route it worked perfectly.  The 30m vs 0m notice didn't seem to impact in any way in terms of notification of impending junction.

Thanks everybody for all the input.

Julian

PS Can't fault the Lezyne - had a few reports of other brands missing segments/sections/miles but it was faultless for 100km / 3+ hours of riding. Although I guess there will be times when it misbehaves so not being smug.

Kelly's Eye | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hey Julian, seems strange you can't adjust the advance warning to zero. I'm not a premium member and have no trouble doing this, a little odd. Only real niggle I have is that when it syncs to strava, I find that I have to recalculate my elevation after upload. It then ties up very well. 

Last week I used turn by turn on a hundred miler and it was pitch perfect every time. Very pleased. All in all I'm happy. Garmin sacked! 

Cheers.

JulesC | 6 years ago
0 likes

What I have found is as I think KellysEye suggested, that RWGPS is great.  Its obvious with hindsight but when I upload to Lezyne GPS Root it now carries within the .tcx file turn by turn details (available to view on the edit screen and displayed in the list of files against the file type) which other sources lacked (I guess breadcrumb trail would have been available) so I'm more optimistic the Lezyne will be able to use those instructions. I cannot adjust the advance warning from 30m (default) setting to 0m (a premium option?) as suggested but as the route this weekend will be signed and I know it as its a very local sportive no disasters will ensue even if the Lezyne/RWGPS interface falls over.

Thanks again all.

Julian

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ah, yes, the filetype just dictates how the data content is structured, what is contained can differ. I haven't looked at planned route files, but have looked into logged runs and rides, with and without heartrate, cadence data, etc.

You could probably take a tcx file, do a find and replace in notepad (maybe a few), save as gpx and it would work, and vice versa, if you knew what you were doing.

How different devices/software/algorithms cope with the data is a completely different matter.

JulesC | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks ChrisB200sx & TheIronduck,

I assumed a standard file type produced a standard file type and either worked or didn't....however that now seems like naive optimism!  I have sportive that didn't have a .gpx file available so I created a .tcx from RWGPS and have sent it to Lezyne's GPS root and then I'll send it on to my phone.  I may create a follow up on BikeHike that starts at a point further in thus giving the first route planner chance to perform, if it fails I can then swith to plan B and see which one is best.

I do agree with Kelly's Eye the ability open the app in your phone, and have it calculate a route from your location to a new destination is both simple and so far effective.  It does seem that although the Lezyne is cheapest of comparable GPS systems its not suffered....so over all still happy. Although I was changing sensors yesterday and did achieve a max speed of 194.7km/h which wasn't bad down my local 3% 1km hill  1  4 

Thanks for the responses.

Julian

theironduck | 6 years ago
0 likes

BikeHike is another useful course creation site.  It lets you create routes and then save them as a variety of different file types (tcx, gpx track, gpx route, ...).   It also lets you manually add Course Points (Left/Right turn, etc.) which is useful if you don't trust your device to warn you of a turning  (I'm looking at you Garmin Edge 510...).

As ChrisB200SX said, all the route file formats are just different varieties of XML text files (you can open them with NotePad).  The problem is, they all structure the data in different ways (in fact even files with the same file extension, e.g. GPX, may be differently organised - try creating a TCX route on BikeHike, upload it to Strava then download it as a GPX and comapre to the GPX created by BikeHike) and success or failure will depend on how your device parses the file and whether it can make use of all the information contained in it.  It is worth comparing how the same route works in different formats on your device.  Good luck!

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, I've looked at the raw data in tcx and gpx files, it was a while ago but they seemed very similar. Essentially just a simple XML file. I thought gpx was the more open and unified/accepted standard.

JulesC | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Risoto,

I'm reassured to hear you used and rejected the Garmin, it seemed expensive for not much, if any, more so I plumped for the Lezyne. Obviously you then have that concern that saving money was a "buy cheap buy twice" situation. The issue you briefly touch on is exactly the same problem I had. I've now created a Ride With GPS account and I'll start creating routes now and spending my weekends wandering around doing exactly as my gps tells me.

Thanks for your response.

Julian

risoto | 6 years ago
0 likes

I also had problems with turn-by-turn using imported GPX (well, Garmin Edge 1000 was just as bad in this regard - that's why I quickly sold it again). Either I use the Lezyne Root or save the routes in Ridewithgps as a tcx file. Then it works. I've also had problems with mapmyride and Strava, that was also true with the Garmin, but I tend to recall that tcx was the answer in those cases as well. 

I am very happy with the Lezyne compared to the Garmin routing disaster, never worked on rides longer than 20-30 kilometers. The simple arrow/street name navigations on the Lezyne works surprisingly well. I love it, has never failed me and the best feature is to instantly find/create a route on your smartphone Lezyne app, hit go, route transfers to the Lezyne via bluetooth and it takes you to the destination without any fuss.

JulesC | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Kelly's Eye,

Thanks I'll give that a try.  I agree very happy with it in the main - the HRM was fixed I used BTLE rather than ANT+ and I was back to my chilled heart beat in a moment!

Thanks again,

Julian

Kelly's Eye | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hiya Julian,

I tend not to create my routes through GPS root and use ridewithgps instead. Save your route and export it as a .tcx file, but before you do, you will be given an option of turn notifications in advance. Generally this is set at 30 metres by default. Zero this option before you save the file. Don't worry, you will still receive plenty of advance warning before any turns and it should all work rather well. 

I've been impressed with it, seems a decent unit for the price and has far less lag than the last Garmin I owned. No problems using HRM either.

Cheers.

Latest Comments