Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

46t ring on a Giant Defy

With the braze on derailleur clamp I'm wondering would it be possible to fit a 34/46 chainset? There seems to be a bit of movement in lowering the mech but I'd appreciate it if anyone is a bit more knowledgeable than myself before splashing out.

The other half would ideally like MTB cranks but I'm not starting to mess with all that shit. 50t to  a 46t chainring doesn't seem that much smaller. She's already running a 36t on the rear just for a heads up.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Shimano XT M785. 40/28.

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Good to hear my plan has been tried and tested! A few weeks ago i got stuck on the 34t and realised it didn't really make much difference to my overall speeds at all. Obviously could have pushed on a bit more on downhill sections but if you're a beginner you may as well cruise and get your breath back.

What crankset did you use out of interest?

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

My TCX came stock with both a braze-on 105 FD and a 46/36T crank. No real problems.

Sure, the tail of the FD cage looks like it's a little too far away from the 46T big ring, but actually shifting between chainrings was no hardship.

I would assume the Defy would be able to handle that same crank or a 46/34 just fine.

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Beginners that live in hilly areas aren't really well-served by current chainsets. I still think there's a gap in the market for something like a 40/28 up front with 11-34 at the rear. You can even hold 22mph at 90rpm on a 34t ring, a 40t would give you 26mph.  

Once I've decided which gravel/adventure/cx bike I'm getting, I'll be taking the compact off my road bike and swapping it out for something like a deore 40/28 and just use it for climbs so I can drop wattage on the steep stuff (12% onwards) if needed just to keep going rather than stop. Stopping is moral breaking, I'd rather just go slower and keep moving.

CXR94Di2 replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Beginners that live in hilly areas aren't really well-served by current chainsets. I still think there's a gap in the market for something like a 40/28 up front with 11-34 at the rear. You can even hold 22mph at 90rpm on a 34t ring, a 40t would give you 26mph.  

Once I've decided which gravel/adventure/cx bike I'm getting, I'll be taking the compact off my road bike and swapping it out for something like a deore 40/28 and just use it for climbs so I can drop wattage on the steep stuff (12% onwards) if needed just to keep going rather than stop. Stopping is moral breaking, I'd rather just go slower and keep moving.

I built my bike with 40/28 chainrings and 11-32 cass also 11-40 for mountains.  I have done club runs with the former and were able to hold onto the pack at 27-28mph on the flat.  I use all the gears were as most general setups rarely use the 50-11 or 12t  gearing.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I take it the bike is running 50/34 crankset at the moment. I can't see any benefit fitting a 46 t outer ring. Just change up to an easier gear.

If she is struggling with hills then a smaller inner ring of 28t or 30t.

I went full MTB for my wife with 36/22 and 11-36 cassette. But her bike used a clamp. Measure how you can lower the front derailleur. I have a 40t, 46t crankset and 50t crankset , I can measure and tell you the diameter of you want?

Latest Comments