Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road bike - sell whole or as parts?

Hi all,

I am after a bit bit of advice.

I have ridden a Boardman Pro Carbon for the last couple of years, and very nice it has been too. I ride about 3,500 miles a year.

However, at the end of a multi-day event, it kind of gave up on me, and a gear cable snapped, and my back rim went.

The bike needed some TLC to get it back to being good to go (new wheel, new cabling, bit of an overhaul / service), and I could see that £400 - £500 would slip by. In the end, I decided to invest in a new bike.

the question is - if I am going to try and recoup some money, would I be best to:

(a) have the bike rebuilt; or

(b) strip it down and sell separately?

The bike is a full carbon frame, carbon forks, Shimano 105s.

It has been used, but maintained, and is in what I might call "used but good" condition.

Any help or advice appreciated!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

Sounds to me like it's still very much a useful bit of kit.

A snapped cable is nothing really. If you've had it a few years and the cables are getting naff, buy a new set of cables all round (the shimano cables are amazingly slick - but you don't even need to buy expensive cables). Only takes an hour at most to do a full inner and outer cable replacement yourself and theres nothing like the feel of slick shifting new cables!

As for wheels, I'd buy a cheap set of wiggle/CRC own brand wheels Cosine or Prime http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-32mm-alloy-clincher-road-wheelset/ (not currently in stock but the Cosine brand wheels always seem to be on and off the site often).

Then stick some mudguards on and you've got a second bike to use over winter or to go to the shops (or commute)!

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

You didn't include the option - although others have alluded to it - of getting the parts and fitting them yourself. If the rest of the bike is in reasonable condition then it's probably the most advantageous route. I doubt you'd recoup much more than those repair costs were you to sell it secondhand, whether in whole or parts.

So... you like the bike, and £200-£300 could get you some very good wheels to make it even better - I guess you'd be looking at £1500+ for a new bike which is as good.

Cables are cheap, consumable items as mentioned elsewhere.

Bicycles aren't complicated and should only take a couple of hours to overhaul. If you're not confident, can you bribe a friend with booze, etc? If you don't already have them, you could learn some useful and satisfying skills.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
1 like

Gear cables are cheap, a new wheelset perhaps not so. Personally, I'd keep the bike. The maladies are easy fixes.

Vejnemojnen replied to TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

Gear cables are cheap, a new wheelset perhaps not so. Personally, I'd keep the bike. The maladies are easy fixes.

Like he said!

wiggle 's own brand "LifeLine" cabling is pretty decent imho. Flawless.

Though I have purchased some generic campagnolo sets from ebay 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282478556825?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPage...

it was only 18usd when i last purchased, but usd started a downgoing spiral after that  1 It arrived to debrecen-hungary in just 4work days after dispatching from taiwan..

ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

Upgrade, upgrade and upgrade some more.

HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
3 likes

Do you own a winter bike? If not repair it with some cheap parts, stick on some mudguards and you've got yourself a winter hack.

simonmb replied to HalfWheeler | 6 years ago
2 likes

HalfWheeler wrote:

Do you own a winter bike? If not repair it with some cheap parts, stick on some mudguards and you've got yourself a winter hack.

This.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what the current value would be, but almost certainly not as much as you want. Keep it as your home turbo bike.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

As Vejnemojnen suggests selling a while bike is easier than having bits lasting around for a while.  

If you do that mileage then I expect you already have it serviced or you do it yourself.  If you like the bike get it fixed and ride it.  Perhaps keep as a spare. 

Of not sell it whole and decide whether you want to spend cash putting it right first or if that's cash that could go on the new bike.  

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes

? cabling costs around.. £20-30, a new set of zonda c17 wheels around 300.

service costs? in my country, a whole overhaul (changing bb, truing wheels, changing whole cabling (outer-inners), fitting new chain-cassette, setting up brakes-shifting, re-greasing every bearing (wheels-headset) costs around 20-25, depending on where you live (costs more in the capital, but here in smaller towns, a complete overhaul only sets you back with 20-25 gbps.)

I'd suggest selling the entire bike btw. with splitting, you'll always end up with half the bike unsold..

Latest Comments