Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ribble Ultimate SL or R872

Evening,

I'm currently in the market for a new bike and have a budget of c£2k (give or take a few hundred) and the above bike (ultimate) has taken my eye. In terms of my cycling, I'm an 'enthusiast', like to get out for 100-200k per week when I can, but am not interested in racing - albeit I do like a bit of friendly mates competition!

Clearly a very light frame and the bike builder let's you spec this up (or down) as much as you like. I've only seen one review on it, which gives it an 8/10, saying it delivers everything, but that comfort let's it down on the longer rides. 

Interested to get the opinion from others too, especially if you'd recommend spending £2k +/- on anything else. Do need to get out on a few bikes to test ride, but it's Ks in the saddle that determine comfort not a twenty minute blast.... Friend has a Canyon, which I will aim to take for a spin soon.

Thanks for any suggestions  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Grumpy17 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Ribble 'bargain carbon  bike' thread comes up regularly on bike forums.

They are nothing special for the money.

As an owner of a several of their bikes over the past 9 years I would have no hesitation in steering buyers away from them and recommending instead that you buy a branded carbon bike from Giant,Cannondale,Specialized etc.

If you wait about 6 weeks from now when the 2017 stocks start to be reduced by 20 to 25% off list you will get one for less money than those Ribbles and it WILL be a better bike.

I promise.

And what the hell are Ribble playing at with their geometry/size chart on that SL model? They are putting a 5'11" rider on the XL frame with a 59cm top tube!

Some freaks of nature out there might be happy but most 5'11" guys I know ride with a top tube in the 56 to 57cm range

skwarczek | 6 years ago
0 likes

Im looking at the Ribble R872 as well. Comes in a shade over £1k for the 105 groupset. 

Hoping its a good ride, test driven a fair few bikes but not yet tried the Ribble.

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes

would you consider rose? in that price range, you can fully customize your choice of bike

Latest Comments