What a finale! A brutal final week was brought to life thanks to the attacking riding of Mikel Landa, Pierre Rolland, and Tejay Van Garderen who all brought home a stage. The Italians blushes were spared with Vincenzo Nibali landing their only stge win of the race. And the GC fight was punctuated with a flurry of attacks, but nobody seemed to have the energy to make anything stick. In the end, the climbers were able to take a few minutes out of Dumoulin, but it was not enough to hold him off in the nail-biting final time-tial.
Our standard league was just as close with the top two teams separated by a solitary point. Three weeks of racing, meticulous planning of transfers, and the final result came down to one point with Veelers Wheel failing to overcome RadioBank despite earning 25 more points in the TT. Here are the top five:
- RadioBank - macropires with 3688
- Veelers Wheel - Wig_Billy with 3687
- Polski Grifter Club - PolishDave with 3650
- = AeroWintana - Rah75 with 3582
- (4th =) djwcc17 - DJWillis14 with 3582
These are mammoth scores and is probably a great indication of how closely faught this Giro was, with only two major breaks allowed to head up the road and contest the win.
The purist league was also incredibly close with only three points separating the top two! It appears, the difference right at the top might have been Thibaut Pinot, who earned more points for Harry's Game than the trio of Sanchez, Fraile, and Henao did for Fagorteka. Here are these results:
- Harry's Game - huggyboy with 2493
- Fagorteka - ososxe with 2490
- Red Bidon Racing - DavVanAvermaet with 2442
- Team Rider007 - rider007 with 2440
- GTRider - Sheepish Member with 2424
Well done to all and see you again for the Tour de France!
Don't forget the Criterium de Dauphine starts on Sunday too, the mini Tour de France