Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Planet X XLS, max tyre size

Hi 

Just wondering if any of you guys are riding a PX XLS.

I'm an expat living in Cape Town at the moment and am looking at purchasing a PX XLS when I go back to the UK in July.

I really need to get 38 / 40mm tyres on the bike as the gravel here is a little bit more extreme than the towpaths etc back home. I intend to do a 247km 1 day endurance in September on it, all gravel.

I've been in touch with the live chat and they have stated 35mm max but I'm wondering if anyone has got the bike and fitted wider tyres or can has it and give me some real measurments.

Many thanks

Marcus

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

surly_by_name | 6 years ago
0 likes

In my experience (having run them on my XLS for a few weeks) Spesh Trigger Pro 2Bliss 38mm fit just and without much clearance so that any slight buckle in wheel or debris on tyre (admittedly you don't get much with the Trigger, which is a semi slick with slightly elevated side knobs) buzzes on stays. Although road.cc review of Trigger says "While we're on published numbers versus reality... the stated width of 38 is on the optimistic size with the Trigger Pro struggling to reach 36mm across the span of the tread".

mattydubster | 6 years ago
0 likes

My Enigma Ecroix says 35mm max but I have 38mm on there's enought room in the gaps to swing a small mammal.  I reckon they just like to cover themselves.

sucramuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks

I assue there is clearance on the front too?

So 38mm should fit comfortably then.

billymansell replied to sucramuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

sucramuk wrote:

Thanks

I assue there is clearance on the front too?

So 38mm should fit comfortably then.

I've got a 32mm on the front at the moment but there's plenty of space for a 38mm.

sucramuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

HI Billy

Thanks for the feedback.

When you put SLX I assume you mean XLS?

Many thanks

billymansell replied to sucramuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

sucramuk wrote:

HI Billy

Thanks for the feedback.

When you put SLX I assume you mean XLS?

Many thanks

Oops. These cursed fat fingers but yes the XLS.

billymansell | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've an SLX and have a 35mm gravel type tyre on the rear at the moment and I can get a finger between tyre and frame clearance.

My preferred choice for rough gravel is 35mm knobbly CX tyres which offer better ride and protection than low tread/high volume gravel tyres on rough gravel yet still good on tarmac. I also have a pair of 42mm Conti AT Ride tyres that also fit but haven't ridden, so you could fit bigger tyres BUT I understand PX's statement as they wouldn't want to commit to encouraging people to fit bigger tyres, minimise clearance and risk an accident.

Latest Comments