Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano RS81 wheels

I've got a set of Shimano RS80 C50 wheels which have served me well. I like the aluminium brake track, and given I'm not the lightest of cyclists (100kg) they have held up very well.

The front wheel is now dinged beyond truability, meaning vibration under braking at speed so I'm after new hoops. Obviously a set of RS81 C50's has caught my eye, but they're a few years old now.

Are new Shimano wheels imminent? I've got something to survive on for a bit, so should I wait? Or should I just pony up and get new wheels?

Ta.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

hennahairgel | 6 years ago
0 likes

Oh and Rosebikes have just upped the RS81 C50 to £700 from their out of stock yesterday of £600 thereby matching everyone else.

0 likes

Not deep enough! I'm running some C24's as spares but want the full C50 depth. The Kinlin rims above looked ideal but are equivalent to the C35's. Boooo!

ChrisB200SX replied to hennahairgel | 6 years ago
1 like

hennahairgel wrote:

Not deep enough! I'm running some C24's as spares but want the full C50 depth. The Kinlin rims above looked ideal but are equivalent to the C35's. Boooo!

It's not the depth that's important, it's how aero the wheel shape is. I reckon the Kinlin would be far more aero than the C50.

I'm putting similar FLO30 aluminium wheels on my road bike next week and they are very aero even though they are only 30mm deep. I've got carbon-faired FLO60s but I wouldn't use them unless racing because it's fairly marginal gains, they tend to stay on the TT bike for duathlons.

Simon E replied to ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

It's not the depth that's important, it's how aero the wheel shape is. I reckon the Kinlin would be far more aero than the C50.

Agree. Unless you're racing I'm not sure there is any real benefit to going deeper. Even then the aero gain beyond ~35mm decreases so 60mm is not much faster while 80mm is barely any faster than 60mm.

Also, wheel weight saves far less time than some people would have you believe.

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Shimano RS81 C35 Carbon Laminate Clincher Front Wheel | Black
Evans Cycles
£279.99 -20%

Seen on this sight could be worth a punt realise they are not as deep as you were looking for in the C50's but.....

harman_mogul | 6 years ago
0 likes

Dura Ace on Kinlin 31T rims makes a pretty good semi-aero wheelset, especially if you can find someone who has 16 hole DA front hubs.

ChrisB200SX replied to harman_mogul | 6 years ago
0 likes

harman_mogul wrote:

Dura Ace on Kinlin 31T rims makes a pretty good semi-aero wheelset, especially if you can find someone who has 16 hole DA front hubs.

Pretty good seems like quite an understatement from what I've read.

Do a bit of research on the new Shimano rims, IIRC they are the old Shimano rims with a new sticker and new product name. Unconstituded posted about this a few weeks ago, it's a bit of scandal.

Anthony.C | 6 years ago
0 likes

How about the Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro wheels ? Lighter than the RS 81s, wider, possibly more aero and about 700 quid.

0 likes

Yeah, the 9100 are Dura Ace level and wanted aero ones a notch lower hence looking at the RS81's. If newer ones are not likely to appear until Jan/Feb I may splash out then unless anyone has any other suggestions.

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

RS-81's were first mfg in 2013. The latest R9100 are available in 40 & 60, no 50's. They cost considerable more £ than the RS-81's, and are wider.

How long do you wish to wait? New Shimano wheels normally trickle into stores late Jan and early Feb. That's a long time to sit on your arse not riding.

check12 replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think ink they are wider externally not internally if we're talking clincher rims, there was an erroneous press release and then back pedalling if I remember correctly.

fulcrum Quattro lg would be a suggestion or rs80/rs81 from eBay  

VeloUSA wrote:

RS-81's were first mfg in 2013. The latest R9100 are available in 40 & 60, no 50's. They cost considerable more £ than the RS-81's, and are wider.

How long do you wish to wait? New Shimano wheels normally trickle into stores late Jan and early Feb. That's a long time to sit on your arse not riding.

Latest Comments