Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube Attain SL or Bulls Harrier 1

Hi,

I am a beginner cyclist so far riding a Triban 520 Flat Bar. Wanted to graduate now to a drop bar bike.

I live in Netherlands (Limburg) and have fair share of ups and downs around me and thus wanted a bike suitable for climbing. Also with a relaxed seating position as i am more keen on longer rides.

Currently confused between following options in priority order

1. Cube Attain SL  (105)

2. Bulls Harrier 1 (105)

3. Cube Attain Race (Tiagra) 

I understand that Cube Attain is a nice bike with good reviews but Bulls Harrier is giving almost same specs at lesser price but unable to find any review at all for it online.

Additionally if Cube Attain SL is not available, does it make sense to go for Bulls (105) or Attain Race (Tiagra) considering the relaxed geometry of Cube attain frames.

Thanks in advance.

Varun

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

ginnupotter | 6 years ago
0 likes

The 15% discount on mantel.com is gone  2

So now a size change would cost me 180 Eur.

Still haven't been able to get the appointment for bike fitting. Now my first preference is to make 56 work for me...

0 likes

But whats better, a slightly smaller bike with a stem angling upwards?

Or a slightly larger bike with shorter Stem, considering i will be stretching a bit to reach the hoods.

pockstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nice bike, good choice. I understand your uncertainty about the size though.  I recently bought a Disc Pro Attain and found a lot of conflicting advice about Cube's sizing. Lots of people saying Cubes are small for their nominal size, others saying this was no longer an issue.

I went for the 56 (despite fitting a 54 (Medium)) in other makes. I did try a 53cm Attain in a local shop and it seemed a little cramped, hence my final choice. I'm nearly 5'9" (174 cm) with a fairly regular leg length.

New bike seems to fit OK, possibly a little stretched on the hoods, although I would prefer a bit more seat tube showing.

You not only seem to have lots of seat tube showing, but also appear to have the hoods set quite high too (on a bike with quite an upright stance).

Considering that you have 7cm on me, I'd be surprised if a 58 might not fit you better.

Good luck getting the right fit, and enjoy your new bike!

0 likes

Got the bike.

Had to mount the flat pedals as coudn't get the SPD pedals off the Triban.

The ride seems great but i am still in two minds about the size as the drop bars are a bit too down and the saddle is above the bar height.

Will go for a bike fitting maybe so that i can return and reorder in time, if needed.

IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

cost you a small % of buying a new bike

I'm not so sure, new STIs, probably new gear and brake cables, new bar tape, new stem to compensate for change in reach = probably £2-300 if you do it yourself, closer to £350 if you get a mechanic to do it?

And you'll still end up with some sort of wonky front end, as the drop bars will add approx 100mm reach on top of the stem length, so if you ever plan to use the hoods you'd need to compensate by fitting a super short stem.

All this is just off the top of my head, but I quickly discounted trying to convert a flat bar bike into a drop bar bike...

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes

you should also take a look at fujibikes or even felt. they offer very nice frames, albeit, a bit sub-par equipement and wheels.

https://www.merlincycles.com/

or merlin

or even wiggle's offers. 

0 likes

http://bikemag.hu/images/2017/05/bulls_geo.jpg

very good imho.

http://bikemag.hu/magazin/hirek/bulls-harrier-1-kerekparteszt-etalon-ors...

the review is in hungarian, but it's mostly about how good the ride is compared to other alloy frames, how comfortable and predictable it is. and about the great price..

the tester was astonished by the refined ride quality of the bike, whereas, the cube alloy frames are very firm-rigid..

here is another review in german

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test-bulls-harrier-2.1519668.9.htm

the bottom bracket stiffness is pretty good, the head tube is not as firm as for top carbon frames, but definitely stable. and it got a lot of points ot "federung", which describes the frame's ability to reduce road imperfections and bumps.

If I were you, I'd pick the bulls.

0 likes

the bulls have a very refined frame. good geometry, with longer chainstays and it lacks the connecting bridge between the seatstays, therefore, the hindquarters of the bike are springy-more compliant. and it also has slacker head angle to make the ride more stable and the handling predictable.

i don't know the prices, but here in hungary, the bulls is currently the best option for someone who has around 1k gbp for a road bike.

I'd pick the büllz.

Latest Comments