Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

jersey advice

Morning

Going cycling in the Peak District this weekend and I am slightly concerened as I don't have a climbers jersey, I think my usual jersey is just standard.  Is it still worth going or will the lack of the appropriate apparel cause me serious issues?

Somebody on here will know...

Cheers

Steady

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

BeatPoet | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd stay at home. You'll be an embarrassment to yourself and other folk will be embarrassed for you. You know it's for the best.

But get organised properly next time. A climber's jersey is at least £150. Apologies if you're just a beginner!

Jimbomitch | 6 years ago
7 likes

You will definately need a climbers jersey, shorts and shoes.

WARNING: At the summit, dont forget to change into the descenders apparel.

steady lad | 6 years ago
1 like

Cheers fellas

I'm still regretting my ride last weekend when I wore a standard M&S vest underneath my non-wicking Northwave jersey. I was somewhat damp by the end and marginally less comfortable than I might have been in a ideal world.  You live and learn I guess.

Steady lad

vonhelmet replied to steady lad | 6 years ago
2 likes

steady lad wrote:

Cheers fellas

I'm still regretting my ride last weekend when I wore a standard M&S vest underneath my non-wicking Northwave jersey. I was somewhat damp by the end and marginally less comfortable than I might have been in a ideal world.  You live and learn I guess.

Steady lad

A vest?  As in a cotton vest?  Seriously?

Dnnnnnn replied to vonhelmet | 6 years ago
1 like

vonhelmet wrote:

steady lad wrote:

Cheers fellas

Steady lad

A vest?  As in a cotton vest?  Seriously?

Glad he mentioned Northwave. I was starting to wonder if his "usual jersey" was a Pringle...

rnick | 6 years ago
3 likes

In addition to aero bars, you'll definitely need brake rim oil....it'll stop the rims overheating going down and the extra speed you carry on the up will help reduce the risk of you overheating. If the weather looks wet, pop a spare bottle in.

steady lad replied to rnick | 6 years ago
3 likes

rnick wrote:

In addition to aero bars, you'll definitely need brake rim oil....it'll stop the rims overheating going down and the extra speed you carry on the up will help reduce the risk of you overheating. If the weather looks wet, pop a spare bottle in.

Sound advice mate, cheers.

peted76 | 6 years ago
5 likes

I suspect this isn't a wind up actually.

If we're to believe the marketing from Castelli, Rapha and the like as soon as the sun comes out we all need a 'climbers jersey'... it'll keep us cool AND stop the sun from burning our weak pathetic pale bodies into cinders. All hyperbole firmly aimed at middle aged men who should never be seen in such tight flimsy and often see through material, team sky look stupid in see through tops and skin suits, emperor's new clothes, Vladimir should know better too but even heads of state can get caught up in the marketing....  see here for the new tech from castelli is helping catch fish more efficiently.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
4 likes

For the downhills you will need aero bars, if you don't have aero bars I can recommend buying two aero bars and sticking them on your non aero bars...

CygnusX1 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
12 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

For the downhills you will need aero bars, if you don't have aero bars I can recommend buying two aero bars and sticking them on your non aero bars...

Here's a picture showing how to correctly install them  3

OP - hopefully you can spot when you are being sent to fetch a left handed screwdriver.  Please ignore the advice about putting oil on your rims.  The aero bars are useful though as long as the sun isn't too hot.

Dnnnnnn replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

OP - hopefully you can spot when you are being sent to fetch a left handed screwdriver.  Please ignore the advice about putting oil on your rims.  The aero bars are useful though as long as the sun isn't too hot.

Love that pic - brilliant!!

CygnusX1 replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

Love that pic - brilliant!!

So do I, but I can't claim ownership - all rights of the photographer acknowledged (if I knew who they were - I think it was someone here on road.cc).  All kudos to them.

wycombewheeler replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like
CygnusX1 wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

guaranteed to improve performance on long rides, but only when the temperature is below 15c. Probably not relevent to this weekend when a climbers jersey is under consideration.
Seriously just forgo the vest (even though it is still May).
I bought a climbers jersey once, horrible fabric never use it.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
3 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

Meh, everyone knows that mint ones save you at least 3.827 watts over the chocolate ones @10C 1000ft altitude and travelling at 35mphyes

MandaiMetric replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Meh, everyone knows that mint ones save you at least 3.827 watts over the chocolate ones @10C 1000ft altitude and travelling at 35mphyes

Back in the day, some cyclists secretly used Orange Aeros, but they were banned by the UCI on safety grounds.

DaSy | 6 years ago
4 likes

Last time I went there I didn't have a "climbers jersey", but I did borrow Chris Bonington's under-vest, so suspect that is how I got through unscathed.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

I suspect so...

macrophotofly | 6 years ago
3 likes

Don't worry - the climbs in the Peak District aren't proper climbs - for 1000+m of ascent in one go you'll need to go to France/Switzerland/Italy/US/Japan/etc.

From memory none of the climbs in the Peak District takes more than 20mins and most are sub-5 mins

. . replied to macrophotofly | 6 years ago
3 likes

macrophotofly wrote:

From memory none of the climbs in the Peak District takes more than 20mins and most are sub-5 mins

Cat & Fiddle in 20 minutes would be impressive, even in a climber's jersey

Jackson | 6 years ago
3 likes

Is this a wind up?

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
7 likes

What's a climbing jersey? Does it have large pockets you can stuff with helium balloons sad?

peted76 | 6 years ago
6 likes

LOLZ, you'll be fine, keep well hydrated and wear a top with a 'full zip' otherwise known as a thermo biological temperature control slide.

Latest Comments