Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vittoria Corsa G+ real world reviews

Anyone using them I have a long ride coming up, don't want to puncture and like the fact they seem to be a bit larger than 25mm as I cant fit 28's these could be the answer.

Cheers in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

moorsey72 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Been using the 25c version for 6 months now, doing weekly 60+ mile club runs and the odd 20/30 miler in the week when i could fit it in. Found them excellent grip-wise and until recently no punctures. Had two punctures in the past 2 weeks with no sign of the culprit (i.e thorn or glass etc), assume it was just a sharp stone on both occasions as tyres appear a bit cut up in places. This seems to be a common issue i discovered after recently googling the experience of others so not sure i would buy again.

allanj replied to moorsey72 | 6 years ago
0 likes

moorsey72 wrote:

Been using the 25c version for 6 months now, doing weekly 60+ mile club runs and the odd 20/30 miler in the week when i could fit it in. Found them excellent grip-wise and until recently no punctures. Had two punctures in the past 2 weeks with no sign of the culprit (i.e thorn or glass etc), assume it was just a sharp stone on both occasions as tyres appear a bit cut up in places. This seems to be a common issue i discovered after recently googling the experience of others so not sure i would buy again.

Agreed, mine have cut up- pictures here: http://road.cc/content/forum/190544-vittoria-corsa-g and that seems to be common.  For the price this is disappointing.  I got these to replace Schwalbe Ones as they seemed to wear pretty quickly, I'm not sure these are much better and my rear tyre is looking pretty "squared off" after 2800km or so.

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys. Definitely something to think on. 

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys. Definitely something to think on. 

bobbinogs | 6 years ago
0 likes

The problem with the lovely tan sidewall is that it does stain very easily.  I was caught in a heavy and unexpected downpour on one ride and the walls have since been a very murky tan/stained colour.  I am not one prepared to invest hours trying to recover the look and  the usual Muc Off washing, etc., has not managed to change the colour back one bit.  

For me, these are real sunny day or race tyres: very quick, fantastic grip, unparalleled ride quality/feel, easy to fit and they look great.  Downsides are: poor wear rate, cut up easily, expensive, tan wall stains and the tyre seems more prone to punctures than many alternatives.

Personally, I keep them for 50 mile rides in the sunshine on my retro bike and always smile when riding!

Canyon48 replied to bobbinogs | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bobbinogs wrote:

The problem with the lovely tan sidewall is that it does stain very easily.  I was caught in a heavy and unexpected downpour on one ride and the walls have since been a very murky tan/stained colour.  I am not one prepared to invest hours trying to recover the look and  the usual Muc Off washing, etc., has not managed to change the colour back one bit.  

For me, these are real sunny day or race tyres: very quick, fantastic grip, unparalleled ride quality/feel, easy to fit and they look great.  Downsides are: poor wear rate, cut up easily, expensive, tan wall stains and the tyre seems more prone to punctures than many alternatives.

Personally, I keep them for 50 mile rides in the sunshine on my retro bike and always smile when riding!

On my Vittoria Open Corsa SCII's that I picked up last year, following recommendations from various CX forums, I applied a thin layer of seam grip to the tan sidewalls before putting the tyre on.

It does make the tan walls slightly shiny, but the rubbery sealant keeps them really clean and stops the rain from getting to the cotton. My other half left her Challenge Strada's untreated and they are now very very dull.

ibr17xvii replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Bobbinogs wrote:

On my Vittoria Open Corsa SCII's that I picked up last year, following recommendations from various CX forums, I applied a thin layer of seam grip to the tan sidewalls before putting the tyre on.

It does make the tan walls slightly shiny, but the rubbery sealant keeps them really clean and stops the rain from getting to the cotton. My other half left her Challenge Strada's untreated and they are now very very dull.

Do you have a link to what you put on?

Huw Watkins | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of 25c clinchers that I stopped using after puncturing on a couple of consecutive rides.  I haven't yet chucked them out but they're drfinitely in the 'emergency pile' now.  I also never really liked the grey sidewalls.

Now on Schwalbe Ones that seem to be holding up ok.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

for a 'racy' tyre it's no lightweight, 28mm tyre is exactly the same as a giant PSL2 which i've been using and they are fantastic tyres both folding and rigid bead on Audax and commuter/utility bike respectively. There's less meat in the centre on the corsa than the giant, the sidewalls are stiffer/less pliable on the corsa too.

I've had no punctures on the giants in getting on for a year now and they don't cut up at all. Will fit the corsas to the audax bike and so how they roll but currently with a 32mm Specialized Pro (old version no longer made) and the 28mm giant on the front it's a fast, very stable and smooth rolling combo that is going to be very hard to beat IMHO.

if these are supposed to be 320tpi then they should fly by comparison, i really hope they do because at the price compared to what I can bag a pair of the giant tyres for (£25ish for new) I'd be mighty dissapointed if they don't. just worried about the stiff sidewalls and lack of meat in the tread.

MoutonDeMontagne | 6 years ago
0 likes

Put about 2000km on mine(25mm), the rear is showing signs of wear but the front is still fine. Grip is excellent in the dry (they're on my good wheels so can't comment about wet winter), nice floaty and smooth ride, even at 100 psi, compared to 80spsi in GP4000s'. I've had 1 puncture which was a big shard of glass & a few small cuts but otherwise proving as if not more durable as the newer GP4000s. As above, the Tan walls look the nuts too. The 25's measure up at, wait for it, 25mm, on a 19mm internal width Bora. The other bonus is, once you've got them on (Takes strong thumbs and a lot of swearing) and they've been pumped up for a couple of days, you can then happily get away without tyre levers, always good for you nerves on carbon rims. 

I'll definately buy them again when they wear out, have been super happy so far. 

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have some on my alternate wheels which have been cut to pieces after relatively little use around London and Kent.  I took to filling the holes with superglue to get some value out of them.  They ride very well and would be great for Majorca or somewhere with decent roads, but for the UK?  Whatever graphene adds it isn't anything to do with puncture resistance.  I ride 4000s daily with fewer problems. Wish I could report otherwise.... Think I'll invest in the proline bands above... 

sergius replied to Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

I have some on my alternate wheels which have been cut to pieces after relatively little use around London and Kent.  I took to filling the holes with superglue to get some value out of them.  They ride very well and would be great for Majorca or somewhere with decent roads, but for the UK?  Whatever graphene adds it isn't anything to do with puncture resistance.  I ride 4000s daily with fewer problems. Wish I could report otherwise.... Think I'll invest in the proline bands above... 

Don't use superglue for this - it dries hard into odd (and often pointy) shapes which can then cause further punctures.

I found "Shoe Goo" after searching around on this topic.  It certainly works, though I find for smaller nicks it tends to get worn away after a couple of hundred kms.  It's about £5 for a massive tube which doesn't appear to go off (bought it about a year ago and its still fine), I've got in the habit of filling any cuts in the tyres everytime I clean my bike properly.

Chris Hayes replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Chris Hayes wrote:

Don't use superglue for this - it dries hard into odd (and often pointy) shapes which can then cause further punctures.

I found "Shoe Goo" after searching around on this topic.  It certainly works, though I find for smaller nicks it tends to get worn away after a couple of hundred kms.  It's about £5 for a massive tube which doesn't appear to go off (bought it about a year ago and its still fine), I've got in the habit of filling any cuts in the tyres everytime I clean my bike properly.

Thanks Sergius.  I'll try it.  

matthewn5 replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Chris Hayes wrote:

Use neoprene wetsuit adhesive - it actually sticks to the rubber and lasts better than the rubber.

Chris Hayes replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

matthewn5 wrote:

sergius wrote:

Chris Hayes wrote:

Use neoprene wetsuit adhesive - it actually sticks to the rubber and lasts better than the rubber.

I'll get some tomorrow.  Thanks.  Chris

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
2 likes

Just fitted Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars in replacement for some perfectly excellent Continental Competitions. Glue is literally still drying.

Because I am a complete tart, I only bought these because they:

a. Get decent reviews from people who ride an awful lot more tyres than I do.
b. Have tan walls.
c. Are reassuringly expensive, although I did buy them in the sales a few months back.
d. Have the word 'graphene' on the label which in my book means they must be even better than something with the word 'turbo' in the name.

Fitment was disconcertingly easy, hardly broke sweat and barely enough swearing to offend a Nun.

I am reassured to hear that others have good experiences on the road.

Shamblesuk replied to Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Just fitted Vittoria Corsa G+ tubulars in replacement for some perfectly excellent Continental Competitions. Glue is literally still drying.

b. Have tan walls.
c. Are reassuringly expensive, although I did buy them in the sales a few months back.
d. Have the word 'graphene' on the label which in my book means they must be even better than something with the word 'turbo' in the name.

Fitment was disconcertingly easy, hardly broke sweat and barely enough swearing to offend a Nun.

Re (b) - I fitted these to some carbon rims and the tanwall is almost completely hidden by the brake track. Compared to the clincher version which I have on my Dura Ace 9000 C24s they are a major (cosmetic) let down.  

ibr17xvii replied to Shamblesuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Shamblesuk wrote:

Mungecrundle wrote:

b. Have tan walls.

Re (b) - I fitted these to some carbon rims and the tanwall is almost completely hidden by the brake track. Compared to the clincher version which I have on my Dura Ace 9000 C24s they are a major (cosmetic) let down.  

Ridiculous obviously & I know it shouldn't but that would really put me off.

If you buy a tyre with a tan sidewall you want to show it off in all it's glory!

Mungecrundle replied to Shamblesuk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Shamblesuk wrote:

Mungecrundle wrote:

b. Have tan walls.

Rim brakes? - How quaint.

missionsystem | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have 28 clinchers on my CAAD12... I say give them a go, I doubt you will be disappointed.

shawdogg | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have a pair of 28s on my bike which is used mainly for commuting (120 miles a week) but have done a couple of longer rides too. No punctures yet, though historically I have rarely had an issue with previous tyres either (Schwalbe 1s, Conti GPS 4000, Michelin Pro 4 Endurance) so maybe I'm just lucky.  Approaching 1000 miles on them and wearing well, minimal cuts etc. Grip is great in wet and dry and comfortable to ride on.

Would deffo buy again if found at a decent price, based on my experience with them to date.

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got G+ in both tub and clincher 25/28 respectively.

No punctures yet but not had them very long (few hundred miles on both sets). Nice tyre,  little heavier than old corsa CX's and I feel you need to pump them up higher than usual as otherwise they feel a little 'soft' when new.

Was on the tubs yesterday in fine weather and cornering grip was very impressive. Don't feel quite as floaty and easy to roll as a well-aged Corsa CX but that will change as they wear in no doubt.

PeterCee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just bought a pair a couple of weeks ago.

Lovely supple ride quality, light weight and decent grip.

I run mine at 90psi rear and 85psi front and they measure 26mm wide on my rims which are Kysrium Pro Disc's

Too early to  comment on puncture resistance.

Much more supple ride quality than GP4000s

asinglecrumpet | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair on my good bike (not used for commuting or in particularly foul weather) and am getting on with them well, with no issues other than a couple of tiny nicks in the rubber after 500 miles so far. 

Nice supple ride due to the use of cotton casing rather than vulcanised rubber in the sidewalls, they roll well and have plenty of grip in the corners. I haven't personally measured them so can't confirm if they are much wider than the 25 mm advertised.

Only time will tell if they continue to wear well but I'm honestly surprised how good they are holding up, I mainly bought them on a whim because they were reduced at sigma sport and love the look of the tan sidewalls otherwise I’d probably gone with Continental GP4000s, however I’d pick up another pair if they are on offer again when I need them.

I'm sure someone else will comment they've had 10 punctures and fell off round the first corner due to lack of grip. Maybe I’ve been lucky or they could indeed be decent tyres, only way to find out is to give them a try.

On a side note, the "graphene" element of the rubber compound is almost certainly a load of marketing bull, how a few grams of carbon can make much difference to the feel or wear seems a little farfetched.

Latest Comments