Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag Bora One Clinchers. Opinions and Feedback Needed Please.

Anyone use Campagnolo Bora One clinchers?

Looking for some feedback before I decided what to splash the cash on.

I'm thinking the Dark Label 50s.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

MoutonDeMontagne | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use the 35mm Bora one clinchers and love them to bits. Stiffness is superb with no rub, they roll super smooth and so far, despite me wincing when crashing through potholes etc, seem robust and true. Braking in the dry is good, a little scary in the wet. But have no other carbon to compare with. Used them in the alps and all over the UK with zero issues. Brilliant wheels IMHO. Run them with 25mm vitoria corsa G+ and its a match made in heaven. 100psi feels more like 80. Was tossing up between the boras, the fulcrum racing zero carbon and the mavic Kysrium carbon. In the end, the all rounder nature and really good value persuaded me to get the campags, even though im running shimano! 

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

I ride the 50mm tubs same as srchar, they can catch the wind a fair bit easier than my 38mm Gigantex tubs and if you are fairly light and maybe not a mega confident bike handler at higher speeds it might present some issues.

I have 27/25mm tubs fitted as I usually sit around the 100kg mark, even if I got down to 90 (which will be v.unlikely) I'd still ride with that combo. Luckily because they're tubs they aren't affected by the rim width(a smidge due to the new channel in the bora tubs), as is the trend the bora one's rims are pretty wide (24mm) so be aware of how that affects fitting clinchers to the rim as in all likelihood it'll stretch out at least another mill and possibly even sit a little bit higher/nearer to the fork crown/brake caliper arch or indeed the rear brake bridge.

Hubs are good, i have the red/white version which work fab with my KTM and they are robust/fairly stiff.

As above though Fulcrum might get you similar for cheaper.

zzk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Was considering this purchase last year and after much research went for Fulcrum racing zero carbons 35mm. I am a fly wieght climber/ racer and to be honest often get blown away in cross winds, so i was looking at a shallower rim depth.

Spoke at length with the Campag rep at the cycle show with respect to the difference between the ones/ ultras and the Fulcrums. Hub spec is one thing, but prob most important is spoke pattern. The Campags stick with their tried and tested trispoke pattern on the rear and this probably adds stiffness and better for the heavier rider. I run a pair of cheaper Campags with that spoke pattern on my cross bike and can atest to the fact that with me on board they appear bomb proof despite some big hits during the 3 peaks and some commuting abuse.  I plumped for the Fulcrums as they were lighter and got them on offer at about £750 (which was the ulimate deal breaker).

Really pleased with them, easily serviceable, fast acceleration and great at holding speed (probably not as good as a deeper rim, but the compromise suits me). Breaking is good, but not as good as alloy rims.

I always thought Fulcums were just branded differently and identical to the Capmags in all but name. Apparently that's not the case, separate factories although base componenets such as rims etc are very similar they very much do their own thing with construction and design when it comes to rims, spoke attachments etc.

Whatever you decide, I expect you won't be dissapoointed.

S13SFC replied to zzk | 6 years ago
0 likes

zzk wrote:

Was considering this purchase last year and after much research went for Fulcrum racing zero carbons 35mm. I am a fly wieght climber/ racer and to be honest often get blown away in cross winds, so i was looking at a shallower rim depth.

Spoke at length with the Campag rep at the cycle show with respect to the difference between the ones/ ultras and the Fulcrums. Hub spec is one thing, but prob most important is spoke pattern. The Campags stick with their tried and tested trispoke pattern on the rear and this probably adds stiffness and better for the heavier rider. I run a pair of cheaper Campags with that spoke pattern on my cross bike and can atest to the fact that with me on board they appear bomb proof despite some big hits during the 3 peaks and some commuting abuse.  I plumped for the Fulcrums as they were lighter and got them on offer at about £750 (which was the ulimate deal breaker).

Really pleased with them, easily serviceable, fast acceleration and great at holding speed (probably not as good as a deeper rim, but the compromise suits me). Breaking is good, but not as good as alloy rims.

I always thought Fulcums were just branded differently and identical to the Capmags in all but name. Apparently that's not the case, separate factories although base componenets such as rims etc are very similar they very much do their own thing with construction and design when it comes to rims, spoke attachments etc.

Whatever you decide, I expect you won't be dissapoointed.

I actually run Fulcrum Racing Zeros at the moment, the alloy version. Hadn't considered the deeper carbon version. I'll look into it.

srchar | 6 years ago
1 like

I use Bora One 50 tubs. The hubs are great; very easy to service. Wheels are stiff. Braking is good in the dry (using the red Campag pads) and so-so in the wet.

Have you considered the tubular version rather than clincher?

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the sentiment above - I can't comment on the clinchers but the tubular versions were superb and the brakling with the Campag red pads was excellent.

kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cant comment on the clincher version but can on the 35mm dark label tub ones

Wheels seem very stiff, little side to side movement/no brake rub when out of the saddle giving it beans up a hill

Hubs spin super smooth

The 3diamant brake track used with their own special brake blocks and super record calipers makes them the best carbon wheels ive had for braking

S13SFC replied to kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

Cant comment on the clincher version but can on the 35mm dark label tub ones

Wheels seem very stiff, little side to side movement/no brake rub when out of the saddle giving it beans up a hill

Hubs spin super smooth

The 3diamant brake track used with their own special brake blocks and super record calipers makes them the best carbon wheels ive had for braking

Thank you.

Latest Comments