Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Yeoleo wheels update

In conclusion to my original post - PayPal has now fully refunded the cost of my purchase. I have to say they were pretty good. 

After many emails back and forth between myself and the seller, it became clear that I could potentially loose my money.  The reason why PayPal refunded my money was because despite repeated attempts to make contact the seller never responded to their emails. 

My experience has taught me to try to resolve whatever issues you have with the seller, but if the situation becomes seemingly shadey, use the intermediary i.e. Your Credit card company or PayPal .  Interestingly, in the time it took PayPal to investigate and refund my money, my credit card company still haven't even made first contact!!!! 

You want protection on you purchases/sales PayPal all the way!! 

Thanks for all the comments. 

To all you roadies out there. Just to let you know, there is a company called Yeoleo Sports, who purports to built excellent carbon road wheels. 

They are a sham and a fraudulent operation. I paid £691 plus import duties, plus additional cost for specific tubeless tyres, sealant, tape, and valves. Then when they eventually arrived they needed to be trued and dished as they were not functional. Then I had to have the tires put on by my bike mechanic, and after 8 layers of rim tape and electrical tape the tyres mounted the rims. 

I rode them twice, under 100km, after the second ride I heard a rubbing sound, stopped to check, and found the wheels to be out of true, again. Which by that point had rubbed a significant amount of rubber from the tyre, and carbon from my frame. I had also noticed that they were pulsing under braking even when braking fairly lightly. On inspection i found the brake tracks were rutted and look to be delaminating. Needless to say, whilst descending a long straight road a road bike can achieve very high speeds, and on this ride I hit 51.2 mph, had the brake tracks/rims failed completely I would not be writing this now. 

I'm am an enthusiast and addict of road riding, and researched this company, and searched forums, YouTube etc for positive and negative feedback for Yeoleo Sports, it's all positive............. In my experience, it's everything but positive!! The text that follows is a direct response from Yeoleo Sports linked PayPal email  and it's verbatim :

"totally it is a liar, yoeleo sports company is bankrupt, what jasmine did is to eat your money.

so GOD  bless you.

by the way,  you are asshole"

please conatct me if you want the video of the wheels, if you are still considering buying them. Please tell all your friend and club members to avoid too!! 

Update - I am at last communicating with Jasmine, who has confirmed that the very odd response I received from Yeoleo's PayPal account was a hacked response. She is working with me as best she can, and seems completely and sincerely apologetic for the failure of their product. Which seems in line with all of their positive feedback from other buyers and users of their products. We are working together to come to a reasonable resolution. 

Had Jasmine responded to me before the hacked email, we could have come to a better conclusion, however it was outside her control. 

I will update this post as to when there is a suitable settlement agreed. 

As as far as it goes, I would say that my experience seems be an isolated incident, from a company with a pretty strong following. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

Vandalay | 6 years ago
0 likes

4 weeks ago I purchased a set of Yoeleo carbon rims. The order never changed from the initial "processing" status. I tried several times to contact Yoeloe including their general email, specific emails to Jasmine and Emily, their sales reps, and phone calls to the company. The phone just rings and rings unanswered with no voicemail. The emails all go unaswered. 

I lodged a complaint through Paypal and , at least so far, it looks like PayPal is going to refund me the cost.

It appears that Yoleoe may no longer be in business based on the total lack of response I got. So caveat emptor to all those looking to buy wheels from Yoeleo.

reliablemeatloaf | 6 years ago
1 like

You might not want to buy from Yoeleo, you could "loose" your money, or even lose it.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I was lucky then, I too paid through PayPal, cancelled my order, I was then offered a substantial discount to take the order and given two carbon bottle holders aswell. Well I hope they last a few years  1

BigSherm | 6 years ago
0 likes

That’s terrible to hear.

I’ve bought two clincher wheelsets from Yoeleo, one disc and one rim brake.

Their customer service was great, and the wheels have proven themselves reliable for a couple years, now.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guy all great advice. Thanks so much for taking time to provide useful (sincerely) information. It's all relevant. 

Keep you up dated 

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

Er, yes, we get the message...

Rapha Nadal replied to drosco | 6 years ago
2 likes

drosco wrote:

Er, yes, we get the message...

Good for you, mate.  Congratulate yourself.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Rapha, it seems the company are genuinely sorry for the poor quality of the product they sent. I'm considering two wheels brands both high end alloy rims and staying away from carbon. Both established big names. 

Skott - the wheels were not tubs, but but tubeless. I did contact Yeoleo regarding the tyres not mounting, I did not get any response. Which is why this matter escalated to this point.

Another point, which has reassured me regarding the UCI approval, I received a response from a guy called Mark Barfield who is the technical manager for the UCI, who was very interested in conducting an investigation into this issue and company. So it seems UCI take their brand name being used extremely seriously. 

Rapha Nadal replied to Django | 6 years ago
3 likes

Django wrote:

Thanks Rapha, it seems the company are genuinely sorry for the poor quality of the product they sent. I'm considering two wheels brands both high end alloy rims and staying away from carbon. Both established big names.  

I don't think there's any reason to avoid carbon hoops altogether.

I've never had issues with Campagnolo Bora 35 carbon tubulars nor my Roval CLX40 clinchers.  Yes, they cost a bit more than a budget Chinese pair of wheels but I feel safe in the knowledge that the respective companies have done their R&D/testing, they had warranties, and I had a UK point of sale for return in the event of anything going wrong.  Which, some years later, it hasn't (just cursed myself there!).

Some people baulk at paying for a more branded item but the last 3 points always seal the deal for me.  I think your story, and countless tales of the same happening, should make you & others think before paying a few hundred dollars for carbon wheels.

skott80 replied to Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Im sorry fella but you've admittedly rode wheels that you knew wasn't safe, electrical tape & 8 layers just isn't acceptable & now you are demanding compensation for something that you shouldn't have rode.

You should have escalated with PayPal at first and not rode them rather than attempt a suicidal ride.

as for uci, yoeleo are approved and have the right to use uci logo & certificate.

getting back to the product all products can fail and simply go to any bike shop and they will tell you wheels and frames get returned due to various issues.

my only advice to you is accept a return wheelset or wheelset refund.

Django wrote:

Skott - the wheels were not tubs, but but tubeless. I did contact Yeoleo regarding the tyres not mounting, I did not get any response. Which is why this matter escalated to this point.

Another point, which has reassured me regarding the UCI approval, I received a response from a guy called Mark Barfield who is the technical manager for the UCI, who was very interested in conducting an investigation into this issue and company. So it seems UCI take their brand name being used extremely seriously. 

skott80 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Let me get this right, you take the wheels to a LBS & they apply 8 layers of rim tape & ELECTRICAL tape, shouldn't alarm bells have been ringing at this point.

Ive spoken to my LBS ( whom glue my yoeleo tubs & built & service my two yoeleo frames) and they can't believe the LBS carried out this process.

If this happened to me I would have simply returned or sent pictures to yoeleo for a replacement & I genuinely believe this would have been resolved yet you are now asking for compensation for a wheel that's had 8 layers of tape & electrical tape. I'm no mechanic but the only place electrical tape should go is around the valve extender to silence any rattle & certainly not on a wheel rim, the heat alon would have effected the properties of electrical tape making it totally unsafe & possible affecting rim tape structure.

I'm sorry but if have a deformed wheel due to manafucturing process then yes a wheel should be granted with import tax refunded but not for cost resulting from you authorising a LBS to install 8 layers rim tape & electrical tape.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

S- lim cheers, your right. And so far so good, hopefully we can settle it between us. Anyone can get hacked, just bad luck, I hope. And sometimes products fail. 

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
2 likes

And what "valuable insight" were you after just out of interest?

Tubeless carbon wheels at that price, and direct from China, have bad news written all over them as you have, unfortunately, found out.  The company website isn't that great either and hardly smacks of a professional outfit

The UCI approval means that the wheel has been approved for competitive use and isn't necessarily the mark of a quality wheel.  http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/17/43/90/Listedesroueshomologu%C3%A9es-Listofapprovedwheels-ENG_English.pdf

I'd get a refund and buy some of the HED's noted above.  Rest assured, they'll last a lot longer!  Just a shame that you've had to find out about rubbish wheels this way.

s_lim | 6 years ago
1 like

I love all these "but you can buy X from X, and it's way better" one-upmanship replies. So valuable.

Glad to hear you're getting sorted, and that it was a misunderstanding. To date, I've had nothing but good experiences with Chinese sellers, and they tend to be very helpful when you have issues. I bought a set of wheels recently, and they came without an axle-end (I may have lost that bit myself in the excitement to get the wheels on the bike). When I raised it with the vendor, Carbon Speed Cycle, they immediately offered to send me a replacement free of charge, as long as I paid the postage, which I was happy to do. It came in 5 days, which is lightening fast, considering it comes from China. 

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
2 likes

The Lesley Chow email killed me.  My sympathy, but I'm at a loss why you'd risk your hard-earned cash buying carbon equipment online from sellers you neither know or have recourse to.  GBP 700 gets you a pair of HED Ardennes with decent hubs from a reputable wheel builder.  Heavens, I only paid GBP 900 for Belgium+ with Chris King R45 hubs. If they don't work properly you can take them back. 

Django | 6 years ago
1 like

Nice, valuable insight there. Thanks 

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
3 likes

Cyclist buys shit wheels and shit wheels turn out to be shit.

Story of the year.

Django | 6 years ago
1 like

I know, all I can see is Lesley Chow from the hangover in my minds eye!! It has caused no end of piss taking from my mates !! 

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, can't help but laugh at that email. At least with correspondence like that, you're pretty much guaranteed to get your money back through Paypal. 

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter - you had a lucky escape. That's why I always research. Even then you can get burnt. It's the first time I've moved away from big brand names , except for small independent bike builders in the UK. 

Yes they are assholes, but perhaps I'm the bigger one for believing their marketing. 

You win some, loose some. Live and learn .......... blah blah blah 

hawkinspeter replied to Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Django wrote:

hawkinspeter - you had a lucky escape. That's why I always research. Even then you can get burnt. It's the first time I've moved away from big brand names , except for small independent bike builders in the UK. 

Yes they are assholes, but perhaps I'm the bigger one for believing their marketing. 

You win some, loose some. Live and learn .......... blah blah blah 

They were only about £30 so I didn't bother with the research. When they arrived, I was suspicious as the wall thickness varied and didn't look very well made at all. I thought I might as well see what they look like and try them out as I'd probably get some creaking/cracking to warn me if they were about to fail, but they were too rubbish for that. Since then, I haven't bothered going for factory direct carbon - it's just too varied.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ped - thanks for the linked article. It was a very interesting read, and sadly symptomatic of why there is a boom in fake kit, bikes etc. 

However, this is not what I was buying. Yeoleo Sports., Ltd have a huge following, and supposedly produce/build their own wheels etc. I have zero interest in fakes or counterfeit wheels. I paid good money for high end wheels. Direct from a company purporting to build excellent wheels, with a large following of riders. 

Check out their site 

https://www.yoeleobike.com/road/wheels.html

cheers 

j

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

Django - sounds like they've been a right bunch of assholes. If they don't respond in a timely fashion, then you shouldn't have much trouble getting your money back (though I'm not a lawyer).

I'm glad you found out how bad the wheels were before getting injured. In a similar fashion, I bought some really cheap integrated carbon fibre handlebars with stem from AliExpress. However, I didn't do any research and when they arrived, I spotted that the stem hole wasn't perfectly round which didn't fill me with confidence. I then tried to fit them and when I started to tighten up the bolts, a crack appeared after only 4nm of tension. At that point, I gave up and chased for my money back.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter - hi, I did email them directly through the internal email option on their website, to which there was zero reply and sadly no paper trail. I also reminded them of this when emailed them again through the email address I used to order the wheels.  Although jasmine confirmed they have my emails, after I used their instant chat, from a different device, they have not responded. Except the email through their PayPal account that told me I've been swindled and I'm an asshole!!! 

I took the wheels to my bike tech who had to apply 8 layers of rim tape and electrical tape to the rim in order to inflate the tyres. As soon as he done this, I picked them up and put them on my bike, the issue was noticeable immediately, the wheel were then taken back and trued by him and dished, again at my cost.  I road them once on a short ride, then packed the bike, for a holiday. 

I came on holiday, started my ride After 30 minutes of riding the back tyre started to deflate.  I was fortunate that after half an hour of trying and failing to get any pressure into the tyres, another cyclist passed and offered me their pump, which then enabled me to carry on. I rode on for possibly 15 km climbing and descending, stoping now and then to reinflate the tyre as it was loosing pressure, though now because i was aware it was happening, I was able to monitor it to ensure I was maintaining safe pressure. After 15 km or so I heard a rubbing sound, when i stopped to investigate the wheel had lost its true, and was rubbing the tyre against the frame of my bike. By  now I was pretty much sick to the back teeth of these wheels, so started the journey back to where I'm staying. Before setting off, I attempted to realign the wheel and ensure that the wheel and QR where seated properly , opened my back brake calliper,  to ensure zero drag from the brakes. And set off, on the descents which are long and fast, the back rim felt as if it was flexing.   The Brakes on the back began to pulse. By this point I was under no illusion, the rim was not going to maintain its integrity, so I limped home, thankfully on the flat. 

Later, upon inspection i could see exposed rutted lines in the carbon basalt brake track, on both sides, and thought I may have managed to pick up some debris from the road, i checked the pads and they were clean. I know for sure I've had a lucky escape. Whether I'll ever see my money again, who knows, but sometimes you gotta be happy with being intact and in one piece. I've realised that even when you think you have protected your, by researching, thoroughly! I can get blindsided. It's seems so unlikely though, even now!! They have such a large presence and following.......... 

Maybe Liu Leo is right "I is asshole"! 

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

That's a scary story. If I were you, I'd have complained as soon as it was obvious that the wheels weren't true. By using them, it implies that the company did deliver sufficient quality wheels (though obviously not), so I hope you don't have any difficulties with getting your money back.

It looks like the direct-Chinese companies have a huge range of quality - some are brilliant and some are just rubbish.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes, even more surprising is that if they wanted to act fraudulently, they would have just not bothered sending any wheels at all. 

Never the less the situation is as thus - I'm alive and grateful. 

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Surprised actually, loads of positive comments about Yoleo on forums.

Django | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks mate I'll definitely check that link out. And I'll let you know what happens. Here's hoping......  

j

ped | 6 years ago
1 like

@Django, keep us posted on how you get on with PayPal and credit card company. It'd be useful to know what protection consumers have when purchasing goods from afar.

Tangently related, Carlton Reid's articles on 'fakes' are worth a read if you've not seen them before. PDF:  Faking It: Inside the shady world of counterfeit bikes and parts

Tommytrucker | 6 years ago
0 likes

DinosaurJR

Holy fuck balls.

That a quote from Robin in an after the watershed Batman? ;0)

Pages

Latest Comments