Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Longest Commute

A comment on the recent story about Strava's 'Bike to work' day got me thinking. What is the longest regular commute? I know a guy who rides 55km to work and 55km home every day. Around 500m of climbing in, and 400m out too. But I've a feeling there must be longer 'honest' commutes. Who knows?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

madcarew | 6 years ago
1 like

A good friend of mine rides 70km (45 miles) to or from work most days, and occasionally does the double. It has 500m of climbing, so is not to be sneezed at. His record btw, with work bag on his back is 1:50!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

10 miles into work and usually anywhere between 15 and 30 home.

Only do it twice a week currently, means I don't need to carry a rucksack as I leave clothes etc the day before when I drive in.

I met someone on my commute home who cycles 35 miles each way once or twice a week. hat off to him.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

1.5 miles into work this morning, about 50 home via meeting clubmates and the pub, "sorry love, took the long way home..."

nniff | 6 years ago
1 like

I do 20 miles each way, 3 or 4 times a week, into London from the top of the Epsom Downs.  The killer is the ride back, especially with a lap top, schlepping back up the hill.  If I'm feeling weedy, then I'll drive a bit and cut it down to 14 miles each way which is no problem 5 days a week, once you've become accustomed to it.  The 20 miles version takes about 1:20.  The train and tube take longer and they don't go to the door.  There is a 25 mile scenic version via Richmond Park and Hyde Park

A friend goes from south of Redhill to Gilette Corner, which is about 30 miles each way.  He does that 4 days a week, without any luggage.

flathunt | 6 years ago
1 like

13 miles each way for me, every day, but it's mostly just nice, join the river at Putney, stay on until the heliport, a bit of road until Battersea Park, a bit of blue-lane between Chelsea Bridge and Parliament Square then segregated highway almost all the way to Canary Wharf, pretty flat too.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
1 like

I try and ride to work (22 miles round trip) at least one day a week, all year round, which is usually all I can manage due to having to drop the kids off on the way.

I'll ride in any other days that circumstances allow - last week, I managed every day and should be able to do the same this week, too.

I'll give it a miss if the weather is truly foul, though, especially in winter - tomorrow is not looking at all good!

roadie220 | 6 years ago
1 like

I used to work in Audit in London and my highlight (yes it can be dull, hence 'used to') was being posted to far-flung regions such as Reading and Gravesend. It meant I could rack up 40 miles each way and get paid 20pence per mile!! This would only be for a week or so and would be tired by the end. But had a good few months each year in Sunbury and would get 20miles each way for that. Love it!

CycleDivvy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Couldn't imagine a 100km round trip, that's insane. 

I commute to work 2 or 3 times a week but the lack of showers at work means I have to take the easy flat route in (~3/4 miles). I compensate for this by taking the long way home and taking advantage of the scenery in the peak district.

Stratman | 6 years ago
3 likes

I started riding in a few years ago.  I live in Derbyshire and work near Nottingham, and I've a variety of routes from 19 to 26 miles.  I set myself the challenge of riding at least every month, but found myself riding most weeks.  Over the next year or so I upped it to pretty much daily, and I've now been doing this for three years.  So my typical route is c 45miles round trip, which I do whenever I'm in the office in Notts.  On a good week it can be 250 miles. It takes me about the same time as driving in the morning, and costs me c 30 mins on the way home.

I find it quite productive time, and I love doing it.  Occasionally, when I set off in winter and it's wet and windy I think that I wish that I'd driven, but that is the exception.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

With the good weather I've been experimenting with distances. Surprised to find that parking further out for a longer ride in is sometimes quicker. Makes sense I suppose - once your average speed driving drops below 15mph its going to be quicker to cycle no matter the distance.

On the plus side this means more New Forest and more gravel for me  1

Langsam | 6 years ago
1 like

8 miles each way, shifts morning / evening, so max. 176 miles a week if I had saturday shows too. 

rxpell | 6 years ago
1 like

My Summer ride is a minimum of 23 miles each way, primarily on A roads ... its just get on bike and ride stuff.  I can take a heap of variations on the way back to add some scenery and hills and miles - so do between 46 and 55 miles a day (4 days a week). I absolutely love it and it gets me set up for the day on the way in and blows away the cares of work on the way back.  Ride it on a cross bike I can park by the bins at work and carry a pannier (which, when I have a laptop in it is heavier than my road bike  3 ).  Don't be put off by distance, just try it. The only downside is that I do so much riding on the commute I don't do much actual leisure riding at weekends ...

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
3 likes

Mine is 8.5 mile / 13.5 km each way, light compared to some who have posted, but do it 5 days a week. I have over the years in my current job lost lots of weight and gotten fit, bonus to me no gym fees, the weather can put a dampner on things, pun intended, but it certainly wakes me up in the morning and after a long day of it, makes me feel alive once I get home again.

psion5mx | 6 years ago
4 likes

I often have people ask at work "Aren't you exhausted after cycling all that way". The truth is as many of you will know it makes you far more awake and alert than driving ever could. It's a habit thing once you commit to it, driving seems less and less appealing. I'm lucky with my route, it's not the shortest or the quickest but it is the safest/quietest. My commute is 19 mile each way 5 days a week if I can with an elevation of about 500 feet. If you plan well and pace yourself it's fine. It's not about PBs or KOMs. If I drive it takes 40 minutes, cycling is twice that but I don't go to the gym and I like to eat cake so I think it's a fair trade regarding time. In winter I switch to a much shorter route and drive half way due to not wanting to ride on unlit roads.

ArneBeswick | 6 years ago
4 likes

At the moment I'm doing two jobs, one in Warrington usually twice a week is a mainly flat 110km round communte, and the other in Castelton which is four times a week, and although comes in at about 40-60km (depending what route I take) means doing at least Rushup Edge and Winnats pass every day. Adds up to a lot of cycling during a week!

srchar | 6 years ago
3 likes

I do 20km each way every day. I wouldn't fancy doing much more than that; it's fine when it's sunny and the kids are off school, but in winter when it's cold, dark, wet and half of the ride is spent between the kerb and a queue of cars, it's not much fun.  Still better than riding the Tube though...

brooksby | 6 years ago
2 likes

I feel like a real lightweight. Six miles ish in -with hills - then a flatter ten miles home again (different route). Five days per week.

psion5mx replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
5 likes

Anyone who commutes to work on foot or by bike has my respect. It's not about the distance, it's more realising there are other ways to travel, ways that add to your day/make you feel alive. Active travel needs more promotion, more awareness.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
2 likes

I have the option to do 22 miles each way if I want, usually drive part of the way and settle on 10-12 miles EW. I'm not the fastest so I'm looking at an easy 3+ hour total commute (there and back) for the 22-miler and just don't have the time to do that. Fortunate to be able to mix it up in the week depending on the weather and how I feel.

I do find I arrive really alert and have productive days, particularly after longer commutes. Also do a ride before any work from home days if I can.

gmac101 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I only manage 5m each way but I work with a guy who does 22miles each way most days. He starts eating at about 3pm 

ianrobo | 6 years ago
5 likes

I ride in three times a week, usually 25km to work then between 35-50km on way home depending on my training plan.

It certainly is the best way possible to get ready for the day after a nice shower.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to ianrobo | 6 years ago
2 likes

ianrobo wrote:

I ride in three times a week, usually 25km to work then between 35-50km on way home depending on my training plan.

It certainly is the best way possible to get ready for the day after a nice shower.

Those cycling/walking into work are usually far more alert/ready for work than those choosing to drive in. I hated commuting into London/SE region in the 90s, up to 4 hours total for some journeys involving the M25/north & sth circular etc. it oft led to being not as nice as I could have being (though I was never at locations to make friends, just sort other fuckwits shizzle out)

Fuck anyone trying to get a brew in early doors, you're here to work not have a facking tea break as soon as you get in, yeah, commuting by bike has so many advantages over using a motor.

simonmb replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
5 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Those cycling/walking into work are usually far more alert/ready for work than those choosing to drive in.

My thoughts of commuting by bike are frustrated by the fact that I usually work at home. However, to mitigate this, three times a week I go for a circular 35km ride, get home, shower, dress, sit at my desk and am certainly more ready for work than if I simply drift downstairs in my pyjamas and switch on the laptop!

Gizzard | 6 years ago
2 likes

I was doing 35 miles in total a day, five days a week until the end of March. Only really bumped into any trouble during storm Doris. Getting out and seeing all the wildlife more than compensated for that. Assuming the next place are a bit more reliable on shift times, I'd prefer somewhere further.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

My furthest BITD was 7 miles each way followed by 8-10 hours on my feet in temps rarely below 90F. Best time was 19 minutes but back when I was younger/fitter & a fuck ton lighter!

That was on a Raleigh Record Sprint with dt shifters.lol

The distance these days would be no problem but doing that and being on the go all day and in those conditions, no thanks!

There was a guy on the CTC forum last year considering doing a 100 mile round trip journey to work, I suggested that even driving halfway and with the elevation it would be tough going. Hats off to those that go the extra miles but as above unless you're in a very fortunate set of circumstances, 15 miles each way would surely be nearing the sensible upper limit for all season commuting every single day.

tarquin_foxglove | 6 years ago
2 likes

Worked with a guy that did 30 miles each way every day.  He used to complain that it wasn't far enough.

Recently contemplated a house move which would have put mine at c.20. The offputting thing wasn't the distance but that 80% of it would have been on either unlit rural roads (60 mph limit) or lit A roads (60/70 limit).  Not sure how enjoyable it would be to spend a couple of hours everyday hearing cars racing up behind you waiting for the engine note to change to indicate the driver had seen you & were slowing, well had lifted anyway. 

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
2 likes

I did the 45 mile commute from Steyning to Sutton a couple of times.  Allowed myself 3 hours each way, daunting at first but got a kick out of it (and people's reactions!) but only once a week, a few week's apart.

crazy-legs | 6 years ago
1 like

I do 16 miles each way but not every day. Fortunately I have a variety of routes inc a CX route I use when it's dry (cos it's a horrible gritty quagmire in wet weather). Also the option of ride in/train home if needed.

Used to do an occasional 25-mile each way ride which had the benefit of being mostly on country lanes and lovely. Only worked at that particulr site ocne or twice a week though so it would never have been a daily thing.

I work with a guy who does an occasional 40 mile commute - he gets the train in then rides home with the prevailing wind.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
1 like

Used to work with a guy who lived about 35 miles from the office and occasionally cycled in/home - sometimes, he'd drive in with bike, cycle home and then ride back the next day.

I could have done about 25 miles of that with him, but put off by having to use some sections of truly horrendous major A roads in rush hour traffic.

I think anything up to 15 miles/1 hour door-to-door is about right - I used to do 16 miles once a week, but lack of showers and a crap bike (at the time) put me off doing it more.

londoncommute | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pages

Latest Comments