Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Crashed my croix de fer 2015 and need new forks?

Hi, This is my first post here. My croix der fer 2015 is my only bike and I use it for everything. I commute to work every day on it and I do regular longish weekend rides on it. I ride on roads, gravel and I particulary like forest trails.

Anyway, at the weekend I was out riding with a friend. We were travelling fairly fast downhill when he suddenly skidded out of control right in front of me and I flew right in to his back at about 35mph. I flew over the handlebars and landed in a bush. apart from some scrapes we are both fine. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUFX2BFFn1K/?taken-by=martin_patton

I hit him with such force that it bent my forks back 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUFXktZFUrK/?taken-by=martin_patton

So, I need new forks and my front wheel looks very wonky when i try to spin it. It also spins not so good as it used to and feels a bit jammed at the hub. So i reckon I need a new wheel(s)

I could just buy another steel fork and the same wheel again but it would maybe be a good time to upgrade to a carbon fork and some better wheels. I maybe would get some new tyres while I'm at it.

Can anyone suggest a suitable reasonably priced fork for this bike and maybe some wheels and tyres that are good all rounders given the type of riding I stated above?

Any help is very much appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

mike the bike | 6 years ago
2 likes

Here's a list of "ifs" for you Martin .....

If , unfortunately, your frame is damaged beyond affordable repair and ...

If you want another fabulous Croix and ...

If you have £500 and ...

If you want my heavily upgraded (but still steel forked) 2014 bike and ...

If you live within reasonable driving distance of Portsmouth and ...

If my new one arrives on time ...

It will be available in mid June.

Nat Jas Moe replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

Here's a list of "ifs" for you Martin .....

If , unfortunately, your frame is damaged beyond affordable repair and ...

If you want another fabulous Croix and ...

If you have £500 and ...

If you want my heavily upgraded (but still steel forked) 2014 bike and ...

If you live within reasonable driving distance of Portsmouth and ...

If my new one arrives on time ...

It will be available in mid June.

Good Sales Pitch laugh

Verycroix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just bought one of these for my Croix. Very nice.https://www.condorcycles.com/products/pioggia-disc-fork

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps you could try getting in touch with Genesis direct for their advice?

bigshape | 6 years ago
0 likes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162461237081
these forks should fit. it is pretty hard to find a non tapered disk fork. ritchey do a full carbon one for about £300.
have a look at mavic aksium wheels, they're fairly heavy, but mine have been absolutely bombproof over 10k km

barbarus | 6 years ago
2 likes

And here's the old fork!

barbarus | 6 years ago
0 likes

I did this to my charge plug steel forks after lazily not doing up the qr! I replaced with kinesis dc37 carbon forks, the bike handles better and quite a big weight loss. Non tapered forks are actually quite hard to find now...

Here's the bike with new forks.

martin808 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, 

I Haven't managed to get the forks off yet so I don't know how bad it is. Hadn't really considered that the frame could be out of align. I'll get it down to the LBS and get it checked out. 

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Know the pain too. My giant suffer a similar fate and I had mine replaced with carbon forks, were ali, by my LBS. I think  they are from madison. I know I have rim brakes but I'm sure you will find a fit.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Have the frame checked for alignment. It could easily have taken a twist.

Back when I was a kid my mate crashed into a deep gully. He jumped off at the last moment and wasn't injured, but his forks were bent like that. We were very worried about catching hell when we got home, so we rode slowly back home, took off the front wheel, stuck a bit of pipe over the fork legs, and bent them back one by one. We got them back and aligned nicely. As far as I remember he never had a problem with them. And best of all, his Dad never noticed  3

Our bikes though were heavy old clunkers, made of mild steel. I wouldn't recommend it with a modern high tensile steel.

StraelGuy replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

matthewn5 wrote:

Our bikes though were heavy old clunkers, made of mild steel. I wouldn't recommend it with a modern high tensile steel.

I'm pretty sure your old heavy bikes would have been high tensile steel. Modern steel bikes are made of chromoly steel which is far superior. I think most modern steel BSO's are made of high tensile.

cdean | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ouch – glad you're ok. That could have been a lot worse! I have the same bike. I shopped around for wheels for ages and really wanted to get a set of Hunt wheels, but given that I have some very big house-related expenditure coming up, eventually went for one the cheapest options I was looking at, which are the Cosine (Wiggle own brand) 23mm disc wheels. I've only been out on them a couple of times, but I'm happy with them so far. They turn very nicely and feel like an improvement over the stock wheels, being a bit stiffer. They're certainly lighter, around 600g according to my scales. I haven't ventured off road on them yet. They're showing as unavailable at the moment. However, they were showing as unavailable for a while, then became available again which is when I bought them, so they may be back.

If I were you I'd think about getting some tubeless-ready wheels though (the Cosines aren't).

Redvee | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd get the frame looked at too, look at the downtube and toptube and see if they are still straight close to the headtube. Going on your description of the speed it's possible you've killed the frame as well as the forks.

Latest Comments