Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Measure twice, buy once!

After an exceedingly long wait my lovely 50mm Aero Carbon Hunt wheels turned up today, so I spent this afternoon working from home fitting them to my bike.

Had the first obligatory trip to the LBS to pick up a 17mm cone wrench as it turns out I needed one to remove the QR axle from the hub.  Then had the second trip to the LBS as it also transpired I needed a HT2 BB tool to remove the Centrelock rotors from my old wheels, sigh.

I finally got everything swapped across to the new wheels, swapped the QR axles for the thru-axles my best bike uses.  Fitted the front, no problem.

The rear however didn't slot in...  Turns out when I half-measured the thru-axles on my old wheels (in a rush, didn't take them off the bike) I got it wrong and I need the 135mm ones rather than the 142mm ones I ordered  2

Bang goes my taking them out for a spin this evening then!

I now have to wait for the 135mm axles to turn up, please god before the weekend - I've been waiting so long for these wheels only to have my hopes dashed at the last hurdle!

As an aside - I think there must be a slight warp in the front rotor.  There's the tiniest rub at one point that I couldn't eliminate.  I'm going to get some new ones anyway when they are back in stock so I can switch wheels more easily - but I'm don't really see how something so solid can warp.  Anyone had anything similar? With Shimano 785 hydraulics there isn't enough gap between the pads for it to spin completely free of any rubbing, I can't see anyway to increase the spacing between the pads (and I assume the lever travel with it).

That Campag system of magnets rather than the piddly springs Shimano use actually sounds kind of genius.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's the tiniest skim, I replaced the pads just before I put it into hibernation for the winter and it was doing it before I swapped wheels.  I'm going to treat myself to some of the space-invader looking DA ones when they are back in stock anyway - so will leave it as-is until then.

Plus my axle is waiting for me at home! Now I just need the rain to hold off until 8pm or so...

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
0 likes

It sort of depends how much it's rubbing.  If it's just the tiniest skim that you can hear with your ear next to it in a silent room, I wouldn't worry about it.  If it's 'brushing' and the wheel slows down noticeably, might need a new disc.  In principle you can straighten them with mole grips, a blowtorch etc, but I'm not sure I'd bother.  

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just ride the bike to wear down the pads.  I fitted new sintered pads and whilst on a club run I stopped half way and spun the front wheel, it turned a 1/4 turn then stopped.  The pads were binding slightly

I thought it was a tough rideyes, pads now worn down a little, great feel and grip

Grahamd | 6 years ago
2 likes

Thanks for sharing, I feel your pain and embarrassment.

Latest Comments