Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

RideLondon - Join Team War Child!

Hello cycling fans,

War Child has a number of charity places available for the 2017 Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100 and we would love to have you on the team!!

Participants will be required to pay £50 (discounted for £25 this week) registration fee and raise a minimum of £750. We will be here to support you along the way, with fundraising tips and ideas as well as materials. 

War Child is striving for a world with no child’s life torn apart by war. We protect, educate and stand up for the rights of children caught up in conflict. We aim to reach them as early as possible when conflict breaks out, and stay to support them through their recovery—helping to keep them safe, give them an education, and equip them with skills for the future. We understand children’s needs, respect their rights, and put them at the centre of the solution—from supporting Syrian children to access education, to reintegrating child soldiers in the Central African Republic and promoting justice for young people in detention in Afghanistan.

Join Team War Child and make a difference to children whose lives have been torn apart by conflict!

This week is the last chance to get involved so if you`re interested please get in touch.

Have a lovely day and I`m hoping to hear from you
Greta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Greta War Child | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi Leviathan, 

I hope you are well. 

Indeed our minimum sponsorhip target is higher than most of the other charities in the sector. The reason for this is that we are simply much smaller. We cannot afford to buy as many places as bigger charities do, which means that each place costs more for us and being so small we cannot justify asking for less sponsorship. 

Unfortunately, as far as I know most charities struggle to fill their places and I`m not sure why. I wonder if it may be that this event requires participants to actually own the bike and the gear they can train in or just the fact that it is a much younger event than say the London Marathon. Either way, we love this event and are keen to fill our places. 

The sponsorhip level may seem daunting at first, but this is a fundraising event for us, and the money that will be raised by our team will make a difference to children whose lives have been torn apart by conflict. We remind inquirers that fundraising is not just asking your network for money, it is also holding events for your network (Bake-sale, comedy night, pub quiz or whatever works for your network) and telling them why the cause is important for you and how their support will make a difference. 

If you are interested, please don`t hesiate to get in touch with  me via email and I can ring you to havea chat about all this. 

Thank you so much for your kind words, we really appreciate that. 

Have a lovely day,
Greta 

Leviathan | 6 years ago
1 like

Hi Greta, 

Could you tell me how you decide the level of support you request from your riders? I have ridden this event before through the ballot and lost out this year. I know I would struggle to raise this level of funding from family, friends and colleagues, and many people would feel guilty asking other people to fund what they see as a hobby. Several other charities are asking considerably less for a slot in the event. There is a lot of cynicism about the charity slot system and many people wonder just how many of them are left vacant. I hope you can tell us for example how much the event charges you?

By the way the War Child 'Help' albums are wonderful and I would gladly buy another one just for a Thom Yorke B-side.

Latest Comments