Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aldi Cycling gear...

Apart from being very cheap, is it any good?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

KevM | 6 years ago
0 likes

Some of their stuff is really good. Some not so much. I've had 2 base layers from there that have lasted 2 years used every day in winter for commuting and still going strong. Summer gloves at £3 a pair are a steal. You can buy 10 pairs for the price of an average pair of gloves and you'll have a few years worth. Winter gloves were good as well but the lobster gloves not so much. The lining wasn't stitched to the inside of the glove properly so your hands slide around the bars.
I got one of their 2-bike storage stands which is brilliant and also a work stand which again at £20 was a bargain.
The lights were ok. Really bright and USB chargeable but they don't last long between charges. I got a full winter season out of a £10 light which I was happy with.

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

For any female road.cc readers considering Aldi kit...

Locked my bike outside Aldi today, so popped in and picked  up the Specialbuys leaflet... all I can say is, I hope you like pink!

JimD666 replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

For any female road.cc readers considering Aldi kit...

Locked my bike outside Aldi today, so popped in and picked  up the Specialbuys leaflet... all I can say is, I hope you like pink!

That has just killed it for my other half.

Thanks for the info

Tjuice | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you choose carefully, certainly some of their stuff can be really good.

I was just remarking this weekend how much I like the jersey I bought about 18 months ago.  I bought it for the winter, and find it keeps me warm without many other layers, down to (or below) zero, yet I was also wearing it this last weekend when the temperature was in the mid-teens and was really comfortable, despite being warm.  Absolutely can't fault it - possibly my favourite piece of kit (and it fits nicely at size L despite me being a S or M in regular clothes(t-shirts))

Have had good results with other kit I have bought:

* Wind stopping warm jacket/shell (not waterproof).  Can be a bit too hot unless it is a really cold day

* Waterproof hi-viz shell.  A bit non-breathable, but works fine.  I cycled 40 miles in the pouring rain on a summer's day wearing it and ended up having it mostly unzipped, which somewhat defeated the purpose...  But can't expect great breathability at that price

* Waterproof socks.  Very comfy, but I have not thoroughly tested them (on days that threaten to be wet, I wear water-resisting shoe covers, and in any case, it has been pretty dry the last few months)

* Lobster gloves.  Have been excellent.  I absolutely love these (although not really waterproof if it is pouring with rain)

Actually, looking back over the above, I've not had any disasters with my Aldi kit, but I do look very carefully at the kit before I buy it.  I've not felt confident enough about their bibs, tights, shorts or shoes to buy any of those.

If anyone is looking for a good value helmet, Planet X were doing some big discounts on some of their Carnac helmets over the last few days (think the offers come to a close very soon if not closed already).  Just bought a Notus aero helmet reduced £80 --> £20 and a Podium SL helmet £50 --> £18.  Both arrived yesterday and quality seems great.

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cool, the little green rucsack is back. Zipper is going on mine after 3 years daily abuse on the commute. Not bad for £15.99.

Will have to bob along once the feeding frenzy has died down and grab one. Some socks too, if they come above the ankle this time. 

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
1 like

There's no risk though as they refund unwanted items without quibbling. 

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got one of their performance softshell jackets from about 5 years ago which is my winter commuting staple and perfect fit on me - only niggles are it's not very breathable and the spandex inserts on the forearms can make your hands a bit cold. Wish I'd also bought the neon yellow one, as well as the electric blue I've got. Newer version wasn't such a good fit on me, as much bigger in the torso and current version is only in black!

Socks are brilliant.

Also handy for picking up Muc-Off stuff and the 3M reflective spoke straws are good for commuting.

Once bought a pump which was rubbish and so returned.

Yorkshire wallet replied to LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout wrote:

Once bought a pump which was rubbish and so returned.

Forgot about the pump! Mine blew its top off and nearly took my face off! The top appeared to be held on with a thin smearing of araldite or whatever. DO NOT BUY!!

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
1 like

Hit and miss with everything from sizing to actual product. I got a winter softshell I swear by, merino stuff that's good but some stuff has literally fallen apart (gloves) and other stuff doesn't match their sizing across the range (bought a jacket in a small but the small baselayer had to be changed for a large, I can wear small up top but need medium for shorts even though I've stick legs)

Always worth checking out but as has been mentioned the cuts on bib shorts/legging is odd around the crotch sometimes and the last lot of bib tights would have been great if they'd not all been for people with 29inch legs. Even with high overshoes they were just too half mast.

HarryTrauts | 6 years ago
0 likes

Their merino mix socks are excellent.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Socks and base layers are good as others have said, the rest can be hit and miss...

Except the lights - don't get the cheapest. The ones at about £10 per front or rear, usb charge, 6 modes, 3 brackets and exceptional brightness...

When's their next bike event?

turboprannet replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

this Sunday I think

JimD666 replied to turboprannet | 6 years ago
0 likes
turboprannet wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

this Sunday I think

I believe so

CygnusX1 replied to JimD666 | 6 years ago
1 like

JimD666 wrote:
turboprannet wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

this Sunday I think

I believe so

Nothing on their website yet if it is. Wonder if its a load of Vulpine gear at knock down prices?

JimD666 replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

JimD666 wrote:
turboprannet wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

this Sunday I think

I believe so

Nothing on their website yet if it is. Wonder if its a load of Vulpine gear at knock down prices?

My info came from http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/aldi-cheap-cycling-gear-43912/

Includes a full price list at the bottom of the article

Kendalred | 6 years ago
1 like

I stopped even looking at most Aldi gear when they stopped selling size small for 90% of the mens stuff (the size Nazis!). The merino socks are quite good though, when they do them.

JimD666 | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks to all  1

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

Their softshell jackets are great, mine's a autumn/winter/spring wardrobe staple.

Their jerseys are reasonable for the price - and far better than what you would get from say Sports Direct at the same price point - but you can splash a tiny bit more cash and get better from Decathlon or Wiggle's dhb range.

Socks are good (when they have ones of reasonable calf length), track mitts are okay, winter gloves are so-so.  Merino base and mid layers are definitely worth snapping up.

BUT for the love of  <insert deity / FSM here> don't but their shorts (bib or otherwise) or tights ... as others have said, they have the stangest of cuts.

s_ | 6 years ago
5 likes

For me socks have been fine but bibshorts not put together well and didn't last. I now buy known makes elsewhere when on offer - much better VFM.

Spangly Shiny | 6 years ago
1 like

I've bought a few bits and pieces - socks, gloves and the like none of which lasted very long. I guess you get what you pay for. I did however buy one Aldi item that is sill a star of my wardrobe many years on - namely a merino mid layer, fabulous bit of kit. If they ever put them up again pull the trigger you won't be disappointed.

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

A mixed bag.

As Kapelmuur suggests jerseys and jackets can be OK. The former a little odd in the cut sometimes, and the latter perhaps not the most breathable - but then breathability is expensive. How much do you need and what are you willing/able to pay? What you get may be fine for your needs.

I bought a pair of bib tights from them once - many years ago now but I've seen more recent editions with similar issues. The materials and manufacture seemed good but the cut around the crotch and the pad shape were bizarre. Off the bike, apart from being a bit saggy (not me, the bibs) I looked like I'd shit myself while also having a boner. I don't know which happened first but neither is a good look.

I also tried the MTB shoes, which looked quite good and fit (me) well. Unfortunately, the commendably rigid soles were very thin and snapped when cleats were used. I had a couple of pairs replaced under warranty in the early weeks and am still using a pair with a snapped sole as general pottering around shoes (they're fine on flat pedals and quite comfortable for walking).

Road.cc has reviewed quite a few items, and although that was previous models, they often don't change much between seasons/years. They (and others) also review Decathlon's kit very favourably. It's available all year and may be a better bet if you're near a store.

CygnusX1 replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
2 likes

Duncann wrote:

The materials and manufacture seemed good but the cut around the crotch and the pad shape were bizarre. Off the bike, apart from being a bit saggy (not me, the bibs) I looked like I'd shit myself while also having a boner.

Whatever turns you on

vonhelmet | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a set of leg warmers from Aldi that have lasted nearly 5 years.  I've only just chucked the arm warmers that I got at the same time.  The softshell I've got from them is a bit stifling.  Jerseys are OK but generally very baggy.  I've got some of their socks as well and they've been fine.  I've got a set of tights from them which are nice and warm.  The pad was rubbish so I unpicked that and now wear them over decent shorts.

Their tools, lights, etc are very hit and miss.

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
1 like

I used it as a beginner and it was OK.   To me, as a non racer a jersey is a jersey.   I bought a Rapha one in a sale last year and I can't tell the difference between it, Aldi and some second hand ones off ebay.

I also had a high vis rainproof jacket for commuting which was satisfactory.

Socks and mitts ditto.   I didn't like the shoes and returned them.

The shorts didn't last very well and I now buy branded ones.   However, the 2016 winter tights have been very good.

Latest Comments