Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Women who rammed cyclist-guilty DD

Bloody hell just seen video on the telegraph, attempted murder or what!?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/09/pregnant-hit-and-run-driver-p...

She will be sentenced in a few days http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-drove-cyclist-sent-10388204 Bets for type of sentence and duration?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

bendertherobot | 6 years ago
0 likes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-39894737

Lest we believe that all cycling cases are poorly sentenced compared to car based ones.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

There was a young woman who borrowed (actually stole) her friends car and got involved in police chase has been sent to prison for 4 months. It's a small start but court/judges seem to taking a tougher line to enforcing sentence guidelines.

But I expect to see softer punishment than harder sentences. Hope to be proved wrong

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Balls, says page removed for me 

srchar | 6 years ago
2 likes

Here's her Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jhenshawbryan

Looks like a standard fat, narsissistic chav c*nt.

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
5 likes

Love this! F**kers made me Google the result, but it was worth it! 3 years yo. Ahahaa angel

She's not fit to be a mother, take that child from her and put it into the services. Then she won't be getting any child payments either to spend on booze when she's out laugh 

http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/london/east/hackney/woman-jailed-running-down-...

Scheißenberg | 6 years ago
0 likes

More than I expected to be honest.
Was thinking she'd get a slap on the wrist.
People usually get less for killing cyclists.

Dropped | 6 years ago
0 likes

Has the sentence been passed? The first mention of 3 years jail and 4.5 year driving ban is from Pruaga: 'Is it too late to guess jailed for three years, banned from driving for four and a half and 6 points on license?'

oldstrath replied to Dropped | 6 years ago
0 likes
Dropped wrote:

Has the sentence been passed? The first mention of 3 years jail and 4.5 year driving ban is from Pruaga: 'Is it too late to guess jailed for three years, banned from driving for four and a half and 6 points on license?'

It's in the Guardian (and maybe other papers)

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have never given a gift to a judge, but I would buy this one lunch and as much alcohol as he could consume. 

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

As terrible as the whole thing is I think I'm a little relieved to know that this is at the least a clear message to drivers, 3 years in prison isn't to be sniffed at, I just wish they'd change the law so that offenders could have their right to drive taken from them permanently.

Does her 4.5year ban include the three years she's been sentenced to (not that she'll do three years I'm sure).

kil0ran replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

As terrible as the whole thing is I think I'm a little relieved to know that this is at the least a clear message to drivers, 3 years in prison isn't to be sniffed at, I just wish they'd change the law so that offenders could have their right to drive taken from them permanently.

Does her 4.5year ban include the three years she's been sentenced to (not that she'll do three years I'm sure).

Martin Porter tweeted that the ban starts after she leaves jail. Also 6 points on her license so that's one mobile phone offence away from another ban.

oldstrath replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like
peted76 wrote:

I suppose three years is more than I expected, but it seems rather trivial for such a good attempt at killing a man, and seems a pretty weak message. I do wonder whether if I took similar revenge with a d-lock on a numpty driver I'd get a similarly light punishment.

atgni replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

Driving ban starts after 50% of prison term. As she'll automatically get out then.

Darkhairedlord | 6 years ago
0 likes

3 years

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bloody hell. 

CMPG, you've got competition Judge Gregory Perrins in the hero stakes.

People have killed and had lighter sentences.

multimodal | 6 years ago
6 likes

The Evening Standard quotes the judge as saying, "Those who are unable to control their temper when driving and feel that cyclists are somehow fair game must understand the courts will deal with them seriously"

I find that quite reassuring. 

pruaga | 6 years ago
2 likes

Is it too late to guess jailed for three years, banned from driving for four and a half and 6 points on license?

oldstrath | 6 years ago
1 like

Question for the lawyers - why 'dangrous driving' rather than assault, and would the possible  penalties be different if she'd inflicted the damage with a steel bar instead of a car?

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

Should have the child taken away from her, clearly not fit to be a parent.

anything other than a custodial sentence is a massive miscarriage of justice (yet again).

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

'Sole carer for her mother' - yeah, sure. How are you going to care for your mother with a baby too?

oldstrath | 6 years ago
2 likes

I imagine lots of sob crap about the baby, that she'll neglect anyway, and hardship, which she would have brought on herself. So I imagine about 6 months, probably suspended, and a few points on the licence, which she doesn't care about anyway.

In an ideal world lock the pair of them away (him for encouraging her to commit assault), remove them from any possibility of having a driving licence ever again, crush the car. But hey, that might be effective, so we won't do it.

Jimmy Ray Will | 6 years ago
0 likes

My thoughts are the same as above. Plenty of mitigating factors that mean she'll get a suspended sentence. 

Which I'd say was fair enough if she'd not lied under oath about her fella grabbing the steering wheel. That deliberate and calculated attempt to pervert the course of justice would be enough for me to  remove any chance of suspension. 

I am not confident the judge will see it the same way however. 

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
1 like

Here in lies the main problem of policing the roads on bike - people can well and truly f@ck you up in their cars.

In America she'd have probably shot him but in the UK a car is just as good for a revenge attack. Hopefully she gets a decent sentence for what looks like a very intentional act. She screams entitlement as it is.

Ush replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
4 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Here in lies the main problem of policing the roads on bike - people can well and truly f@ck you up in their cars.

EDIT: maybe it wasn't you mentioning "policing the roads" on the other current thread, but it's the same problem.  

I wish you'd stop with this "policing the roads" meme/idea. It's as annoying as the "not a real cyclist" or "give us all a bad name".

Someone riding in a position that they judge to be safest or communicating with someone else  is not "policing the roads" they're doing what they are comfortable with and sharing a public space.  The idea that you would not be able to ride in a legal position or suggest to another road user that they need to pay attention is unacceptable.

You can "unpolice the roads" all you want (what do you do? ride on the sidewalk and congratulate yourself on being reasonable?) you'll still run the risk of being well and truly effed up.  And if you go around spreading the idea the someone riding in primary is being some sort of entitled interfering git then you may also have stoked some moron's road rage.

Give it a rest. Please.

Yorkshire wallet replied to Ush | 6 years ago
2 likes
Ush wrote:

Give it a rest. Please.

OK, I'll never use it again. I think the fact i used it 2 times, ever, is enough. Point still stands though. Don't shout at drivers and kick their cars on a bike, as we've seen they can get their 'revenge' in spades. I also don't see what middle of the road cyclist had to gain either by his riding. Horses for courses.

I have also been known to pull to side to 5s or whatever to let people past down narrow country lanes if I know they could be sat behind me for ages. Doff my cap and everything.

Anyway, good to see a proper sentence for once. I was fully expecting £80.

Ush replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
3 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I have also been known to pull to side to 5s or whatever to let people past down narrow country lanes if I know they could be sat behind me for ages.

As have I... because I'm a nice person and it was safe to do so (in my judgement).  But I don't tell other cyclists that they have to ... again because I'm super awesome.

Mungecrundle replied to Ush | 6 years ago
0 likes
Ush wrote:

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I have also been known to pull to side to 5s or whatever to let people past down narrow country lanes if I know they could be sat behind me for ages.

As have I... because I'm a nice person and it was safe to do so (in my judgement).  But I don't tell other cyclists that they have to ... again because I'm super awesome.

Agreed.

I'd far sooner have an impatient motorist past and away. If nothing else, on a narrow country road their car makes a very effective crumple zone protecting my precious carcass should a similarly impatient motorist be coming the other way.

Impressed that my guess on likely sentence was so wrong. Hope to see some coverage on the news tonight and in the papers tomorrow if the punishment is to have benefit as a deterrent to others.

bobbinogs | 6 years ago
3 likes

I gave up looking for any kind of sense in sentencing or justice in these cases a long time ago!  The only time any of that applies seems to be when the victim also happens to be a policeman.

Bikebikebike replied to bobbinogs | 6 years ago
1 like

Bobbinogs wrote:

I gave up looking for any kind of sense in sentencing or justice in these cases a long time ago!  The only time any of that applies seems to be when the victim also happens to be a policeman.

Yes - if it's a policeman it's attempted murder.  Anyone else - meh.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Bikebikebike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bikebikebike wrote:

Bobbinogs wrote:

Yes - if it's a policeman it's attempted murder.  Anyone else - meh.

Exactly this, one such incident in which the miscreant was being chased at high speed was accused of attempted murder when an officer moved in his path and was struck, there was no way that was ever going to stick.

This was a deliberate attempt to seriously harm someone and the crime was assault GBH and should not have being DD.

Pages

Latest Comments