Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Daft Question about Turbo Trainers

Is there any issue with direct drive TT's with disc brake bikes?

I don't think there is but.....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

My mate has a Tacx Neo and loves it. It is very quiet bit then he doesn't have a bike with through axles.....

JimD666 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all.

Still unsure whether to go Direct drive or not, but at least it's purely about cost/feature set now.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went for an elite Rampa though not direct drive there are adaptors grin various sources and the Elite one is crap compared to the one I use. Mind you it just fits in the turbo.
I was considering direct drive myself but just got out off as wasn't too sure and there seems to be conflicting info to go with the variety of standards on bikes now a days.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

my Kickr has a spacer you reverse for 130 to135mm width.  I bet there is an accessory for 142 aswell

there is

http://uk.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/kickr-142x12-mountain-bik...

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Actually this is a good question.

I don't have a direct drive turbo but wanted to ask as well, as a related query - is it a one-size-fits-all thing for the rear hub? Or are there spacers or axle extensions or similar gubbins for better fit on the dropouts?

I ask because there are at least three hub spacings for road bikes now (130 mm for rim brake, 135 mm for QR disc, 142 mm for TA disc) - was wondering if they could all use the same direct-drive turbo.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

My kickr takes my bike with disc brakes. You don't need to brake at all. You can fit a spacer between pads to stop accidentally pushing pads together. I don't bother

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

As long as you can fit the frame to the trainer there shouldn't be.  Some seem to have adaptors as they use thru axles so check compatibility before you buy.  

Latest Comments