Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Contend SL1 Disc vs TCR Advanced 3 – Which one?

I am currently riding a Spec Allez (first road bike) and now want to upgrade, budget is approx. £1000-£1200. I have been really impressed with Giant and seen some really good reviews across their range of bikes. My riding routine is couple of times a week around 1.5 to 2 hrs, across the south downs area (Chichester / south of Petersfield) mainly fitness riding, Strava goals and some group rides.

My dilemma is which bike – I like the Alu Contend with 105’s and decent brand wheels but I am tempted by the Carbon TCR but would have to drop to Tiagra group set and less spec wheels but better frame? – any advice? Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

MJM42 | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks all. Decsion made its the TCR ! Just checked the geomerty of Allez compared to TCR and they are almost identical, so I think this will be the right choice and a lot more fun on short rides.

mostly | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went from an allez to the tcr and its a great bike the only downside was the wheelset, didn't survive a north wales winter.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

TCR - its a great frame that you can upgrade with better wheels and groupset at a later stage, if you need it - and I'd change the wheels before the groupset as a) there's nothing wrong with tiagra, and b) you'll see more benefit from better wheels.  I have a friend who manages a large stockist of Cube's carbon frames... he has nothing good to say about them... 

joeegg | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a Cube Attain but with the alloy frame.

Relaxed riding position with the long headtube but enough stem spacers to tweak it.

What most impresses me is the hydraulic discs with the bolt through 12 mm axle. Strong braking and with a fork that tracks perfectly gives a sure footed feel. This does add weight however and the Fulcrum 77's add a bit more but the wide rim helps the grip.Mine is full 105 groupset which works smoothly.

I'd be quite happy to do hilly 60/70 mile sportives on it.

MJM42 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Great, thanks for the advice - it seems like the TCR would best suit my riding style and enjoyment and has a similar geometry to my Allez.

Just to add a curve ball! What about Cube? I had overlooked them but they seem to have some great bikes and I have found a 2016 Attend GTC Race or GTC Pro Disc for £999 !!  very well spec bikes  - any views?

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a Defy in M/L size. I find it a bit short and have just ordered a 120mm stem to replace the 110mm it came with. I'm 180cm with long arms so your mileage may vary. I suspect the TCR may be more to your needs though.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not quite a straightforward answer. They're very different animals and you have to make sure your back can tolerate either bike.

Of the two, the Contend is the easier to live with if you're not very flexible of spine. As far as I can tell, the Contend is also the better commute machine due to having rack and mudguard eyelets ready.

The TCR is a thoroughbred race bike and pretty much top dog in Giant's road bike frame catalog though - aero and TT/triathlon excepted. Even with cheaper components out of the box, it's a frame you'll really want to hold on to and upgrade components on.

Besides, if you don't need 11 cogs, Tiagra 4700 is excellent - leaps better than the old 10-speed 105 5700 in my experience. It's no downgrade if you're not a weight weenie.

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes obviously it needs to fit but since you've ridden an allez and fancy doing hills at pace the tcr would be more rewarding. Stiff, punchy light etc

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm sure there was a similar post on here recently but Defy v TCR and the concensus seemed to be try before you buy and the TCR was mote difficult to get to fit whereas the Defy wasn't.
From what I've read Contend is almost same geometry as Defy. Google Road cc and Defy or TCR.

700c | 6 years ago
1 like

TCR every time

Latest Comments