Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheelbuilding query

I recently bought a set of deep-sets from China, and they're really good. Braking is as good as the alloy set I'd on previously, even in wet; they're stable in crosswinds, and when you get up to speed, they fly.

The only downside is the hubs. Compared to the Hope hubs on my other wheels, they're just crap - they won't keep the wheel turning anywhere near the same length of time as the old set (I found myself freewheeling up drags with the last set, for example) 

I'm toying with the idea of replacing them with a set of either Miche or Hope hubs, but I'm not sure whether I need to replace like for like - i.e. 20/24 drilled hubs, or I can replace with a set of hubs with more holes, which are easier purchased online. 

Help and advice appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

s_lim | 6 years ago
0 likes

Really appreciate the advice. It sounds like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here. I'll save my money - thank you!

JonD | 6 years ago
0 likes

As suggested upthread, probably just bearing seal friction (which might imply the sealing's better) - there's very little power consumed if v this is the case. Do the axles turn smoothly in the hub when rotated by hand ?

But if they're sealed cartridge bearings (the alternative is cup/cone, which is adjustable anyway !) you could just get them replaced by your lbs - probably 4-6 quid per bearing plus labour.

But I suspect you ll be chucking money away for an imagined 'fault'.

check12 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think you can get away with using a 32 rear instead of a 24 using every other hole on the none drive side assuming it's 16/8 

Miller | 6 years ago
0 likes

Is this really a problem? A bit of bearing seal drag doesn't matter. 

If you're set on replacing the hubs then yes you need hubs with the same spoke count. As the comment above notes, you are very likely to need new spokes too as the required spoke lengths will be different if the dimensions of the hub are different.

Are you thinking of doing this yourself?

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

"need to replace like for like - i.e. 20/24 drilled hubs" for wheel dish.

When replacing hubs with another brand you need to consider replacing the spokes too as flange diameters and spacing may not be equal with what you have now.

Latest Comments