Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike dilemma - as always

Hi guys,

My Genesis Equilibrium Disc got nicked :(, and I'm looking for a replacement. Now, I'm not a typical cyclist as I believe in the rule of 1 bike - so I'll be using it for all (commuting, weekend rides, adventures etc.). I only do roads (no gravel path etc.) and I do them relatively a lot - 7000-8000km a year. Possibly even more, depending on family constraints. I also do everything around my bike and have learned to fix it all. My dilemma is around the frame material. Genesis was great one-fits-all bike but it was heavy.

1) Carbon - pros: everyone rides it, light, arguably some frames look nice. Cons: usually press-fit BBs which really worries me, internal routings and possible crash/writing-off.

2) Steel - pros: robustness, usually classic looks, ease of maintenance. Cons: weight.

3) Aluminium - stuck somewhere between the two.

Please guys tell me which of the three and why, based on your opinion. Now, I've narrowed it down to some really good bikes (e.g. aluminium Bowman, Bianchi, BMC, carbon Bianchi, Cervelo and some Reynolds 853 steel and possibly even Colnago Master). It is a very wide group of bikes - in terms of style and appearance.

Much appreciated.

Ogi

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just got a Genesis Zero Disc - carbon fibre for the win. It's a very racy frame and looks amazing.

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

Realistically, aesthetic prejudices aside, carbon is the best material for a bike frame. Lighter, stronger, stiffer and now affordable.

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd definitely look at Ti, designed in/for Britain if not built here. Reilly bikes got a good write up on here a few days ago.

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

@Innerlube

Very good advice! Thanks for that. Interesting that you mention choice refinement argument. For example, I used to support disc brajes strongly before...while at the moment mu attitude softened a bit and am ready to accept the rim brakes.

Innerlube | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hmm. Same boat, just had my newish bike stolen. (Angle grinder cut through a Gold Secure u bolt, with well lit CCTV footage of two men in motorbike helmets etc.)

My point being that please very sure if you buy second hand that the seller is the legitimate owner, as opposed to supporting the demand for stolen bikes.

Buying through mates probably OK, buying on line starts to get dodgy.

Frame material less significant than whether each bike actually fits you, and what's your preference for disc v rim, as that really starts to refine your choice....

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback!

HenHarrier | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought a 105 R2 back end of last year. Love it. I don't race but its great for (relatively) quick local loops and for longer rides - did a pain free 200km at the weekend on it. I went for it because of the excellent frame - can see myself upgrading bits (wheels were first to be changed) for a long time to come and still being really happy with it. No issue with the creak-free bottom bracket by the way. Handling is great, it's comfortable, and I just enjoy riding it - which is the point really...

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

@AM87

Whichever you choose, I would definitely recommend it. I properly enjoyed my disc version (Reynolds 725 version) over the last 2 years and 16,000km. It's very comfortable, robust, a bit heavy but also has nice geometry (I would call it middle point - neither racy nor particularly endurance driven). Genesis brand is a great way to enjoy modern steel frames, for not a lot of money. I would argue that custom options would not bring you much difference for a lot more cost, same applying to Columbus tubing (Reynolds is awesome). Don't get bothered around 725 vs. 853 vs. 953. 725 is pretty stiff too and there is 100-200g in it.

AM87 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am considering a Genesis Equilibrium. Would you recommend one?

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd have the colnago - just because

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

@unconstituted

Thanks for that. I never thought of Infinito CV, not because it's not good but because it was possibly "too good" (pricey). People say it's brilliant, albeit a bit taller headtube (nothing that can't be fixed with -17 degree stem if I really wanted more aggressive stance).

I love Cervelos. Always did. It's a newer one (2015 or 2016 year one). Again, I'm worried with pressfits - I have no experience other than BSA (faultless). Can you share some of your thoughts? Same applies for carbon bikes. I have a beater bike at the moment - I stole my wife's aluminium Carrera Virtuoso Claris/Sora (frame smallish for me which I somewhat fixed with 12cm stem), but gets me to work and still flies with its 12kg portly weight.

tritecommentbot replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

@unconstituted

Thanks for that. I never thought of Infinito CV, not because it's not good but because it was possibly "too good" (pricey). People say it's brilliant, albeit a bit taller headtube (nothing that can't be fixed with -17 degree stem if I really wanted more aggressive stance).

I love Cervelos. Always did. It's a newer one (2015 or 2016 year one). Again, I'm worried with pressfits - I have no experience other than BSA (faultless). Can you share some of your thoughts? Same applies for carbon bikes. I have a beater bike at the moment - I stole my wife's aluminium Carrera Virtuoso Claris/Sora (frame smallish for me which I somewhat fixed with 12cm stem), but gets me to work and still flies with its 12kg portly weight.

Pressfits get a lot of bad rap, but I run them exclusively and only one that squeaked was the factory fitted one on the Infinito CV after a few months. All the ones I fitted myself (and I'm no expert wrench) have been great. They're also dead easy to fit and pretty cheap. 

Definitely go go for a carbon bike. Best bang for buck, light, feels great and repair is affordable and easy now for the repair shops. Ti bikes by comparison are a nightmare to repair I'm told. Going from your current rides to a 105 R2 would be a pretty awesome experience. The connection to the road and the buzz dampening from the carbon layup is something you won't have experienced before. Just totally different feel. It'll be a buzz, every ride. I ride an S series Cervelo now and I mean it when I say I live just waiting for my next ride on it. You really don't get that with a lot of bikes. It's worth it to have something hype waiting for you at the weekend or evenings. You deserve it, only live once right..  3 

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

@rjfrussel

Thanks for the advice. I'm also searching for used Enigmas and Kinesis GF Ti. Generally, even used they are out of my budget - but yes I agree that they are perfect for "one bike to rule them all" if there is such a thing.

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

For a long term do-it-all bike Ti is definitely the way to go-  if you view it as a 10 year purchase the cost of a decent Ti frame is probably less than the two carbon or alu frames you'd buy in the same period.

Kinesis GF disc or something by Engima.

Ogi | 6 years ago
1 like

@Vejnemojen

Thanks for the suggestion. Evo is a great bike. My only concern is BB30. Good experience? I guess I can always put in the Praxis BB thing which should silent it forever.

@unconstituted

You just ruined my life :). Haha. No you're absolutely right, it's just I'm really falling for all things nice - especially in the bike world.

No steel vaults at work definitely, but generally quite safe. The mentioned candidates are all used bikes - massively reduced some of which are owned by bike friends (i.e. I could never afford Colnago Master RRP frame price - 2k) and the rest is almost all aluminium (e.g. Impulso, Aluminium Teammachine etc.), with exception of two Bianchis and a Cervelo (Sempre, Infinito and Cervelo R2 which are ridiculously priced on eBay but do not smell stolen yet) - just giving you some context.

Steel: Master, Holdsworth Competition

Aluminium alloy: Bianchi Impulso, BMC ALR Teammachine, possibly Bowman in some cheapish eBay Frankenstein build

Carbon: Bianchi Sempre, Infinito CV,  Focus Cayo, Cervelo R2.

tritecommentbot replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

@Vejnemojen

Thanks for the suggestion. Evo is a great bike. My only concern is BB30. Good experience? I guess I can always put in the Praxis BB thing which should silent it forever.

@unconstituted

You just ruined my life :). Haha. No you're absolutely right, it's just I'm really falling for all things nice - especially in the bike world.

No steel vaults at work definitely, but generally quite safe. The mentioned candidates are all used bikes - massively reduced some of which are owned by bike friends (i.e. I could never afford Colnago Master RRP frame price - 2k) and the rest is almost all aluminium (e.g. Impulso, Aluminium Teammachine etc.), with exception of two Bianchis and a Cervelo (Sempre, Infinito and Cervelo R2 which are ridiculously priced on eBay but do not smell stolen yet) - just giving you some context.

Steel: Master, Holdsworth Competition

Aluminium alloy: Bianchi Impulso, BMC ALR Teammachine, possibly Bowman in some cheapish eBay Frankenstein build

Carbon: Bianchi Sempre, Infinito CV,  Focus Cayo, Cervelo R2.

I love posh bikes myself. Personally, I think you should take a time out and consider buying a crappy beater bike, then grab that R2 on eBay. You'll love it and get much more pleasure out of cycling. I have an 2000 mile Infinito CV frame that I'll be selling shortly funnily enough. Has a ding on the rear chainstay, perfectly fine, but will repair first (£150) before listing on eBay for £950.

Wicked bike, very racing feeling for an endurance bike. The R2 looks boss (guy round my way rides a new white one and loves it to bits). What year is the R2 you're eyeing up btw? Quite a lot of work has gone into the latest model, so would personally be looking for that (2015 on I think). R2 would be my choice, followed by the Infinito CV if I wanted something a bit comfier. That said, 25mm's on any of these bikes will be a plush ride. 

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
2 likes

Bianchi, BMC, carbon Bianchi, Cervelo, Colnago

Does your work have a steel vault to store bikes at? 

No clue where you live but up here a bike with a brand like that on it won't be there when you clock out. Worrying is that you had a Genesis nicked, but are still considering commuting on a Colnago!

Explain yourself enlightened

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
1 like

get a basic supersix (non-hi-mod)

robust, but not too heavy, external routing, you can get a bb adapter if you are really worried about it not being threaded, and it is a sublime-comfy ride.

Ogi | 6 years ago
1 like

Hehe. I didn't! Just don't seem to have enough cash...

psychonabike | 6 years ago
1 like

I've got a Ti Sabbath September disc which is worth a look. It's been brilliant so far, tyre clearance for 32mm plus or you can go racy. Reviewed on this website too.  

See you'd forgotten about Titanium eh!

Latest Comments