Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bibshort Recommendations £100ish

I am cycling longer distances than I used to and start to get uncomfortable after about 2 hours in the saddle.  I have experimented with a few different saddles which has not made much difference.  My current main shorts are Endura FS 260 Pro which were about £70 and now 5 years old, so I am in the market for some new shorts.  If I stick to Endura the logical choice would seem to the FS 260 Pro SL which get good reviews and are about  £115.

So looking a bit up and down from that price and on line reviews I have put together a rough shortlist of:

Sportful Total Comfort £140

Gore Oxygen 2 £130

Endura 260 Pro SL £115

Rapha Core £75 with 25% voucher, even less if done with a jersey bundle.

Castelli Endurance X2 £100

DHB ASV Race £80

Lusso Carbon £72

DHB Aeron £65

B Twin Aerofit £55

They all get good reviews.  Probably the best reviews are for the Sportful, Rapha and Castelli.  I am tempted by the Rapha Core as I have £25 voucher, and could probably do with another jersey so as part of a bundle the shorts would cost me nearer £60.

Size wise I am a large in Endura.  I also have a pair B Twin 900s in large, but despite the reviews for those the leg grippers are rubbish so the legs ride up and the pad then wrinkles up and chafes.   I could try the Rapha's on in the London shop, but anything else would probably be mail order.

All advice on pad performance and sizing gratefully received, especially if anyone has two or more on the list and can compare them.

Thanks  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Htc | 6 years ago
0 likes

I really rate the Gore oxygen 2.0 shorts. Far better than I expected and the wind protection built into the front panel is not just a gimmick but provides real protection and comfort.

ChainedToTheWheel | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am a big fan of Alé's PRR bibs and have far too many. The pads suit me really well, the cut is good, and the bib straps feel like you are wearing clouds. Plus they come in some bright colours too if you are sick of black lycra.

But if I am going to pull long distances I can't go past my Rapha Brevit. They cost a bomb but nothing else comes close when riding over 4-5 hours.

Sadly Biggins | 6 years ago
1 like

Slightly off topic but if you are spending longer in the saddle, I would strongly recommend using chamois cream in addition to decent shorts.  It makes a massive difference.  I have the Assos cream which is expensive but has lasted for ages.

rtw | 6 years ago
0 likes

Confused as to why you say you can go to the Rapha shop, but everything else would be mail order. 

In London there is our shop (Regent Street St James) - south of Picadilly - also Condor, Bespoke, Swift, Cyclefit, countless Evans and Cycle Surgerys etc. 

Go and get a proper fitting somewhere that offers it, then get the advice of the sales assistant. We (ASSOS) see so many people in shorts too large. If people got fitted properly, theyd be far more comfortable. 

beezus fufoon replied to rtw | 6 years ago
0 likes

rtw wrote:

...We (ASSOS) see so many people in shorts too large.

with Assos stuff it's difficult to get too large - I'm a fairly standard large with every other manufacturer, but with Assos, even squeezing into size XL has me singing falsetto!

Must be Mad | 6 years ago
0 likes

DHB - had a pair of the ASV ones from a couple of years ago, and found them brilliantly comfy. Best pair of shorts I have owned so far.

However tried the new Aeron's and very dissapointed. The fit is not quite right, and the pad is aweful.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've found the Alé bib shorts to be the best fit and most comfortable though it really is like your saddle - it's personal preference.

nwardill | 6 years ago
0 likes

redwhite.cc  The Bib bibshort £125 very comfy, also available on alwaysriding.co.uk, they also do a stealth black pair on redwhite.cc

Freddy56 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have them all. Castelli Bodypaint for show and Galibier Pro5 for comfort.  Gore are good, I'm put off my  super Rapha Cassics by some of the nobs locally who are donnded  head to toe in the stuff. Only poor experiences lately were Santini, felt cheap and lost their shape after a few washes.

srchar replied to Freddy56 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Freddy56 wrote:

Castelli Bodypaint for show and Galibier Pro5 for comfort. I'm put off my  super Rapha Cassics by some of the nobs locally who are donnded head to toe in the stuff.

Is Castelli that different to Rapha in this respect? Both make nice, expensive-ish gear. Both are good enough to inspire customer loyalty that leads to people buying a few bits of their kit. At least one is worn "for show"  3

It's a bit sad that you have some nice gear but don't want to wear it because some people who also wear it are "nobs". Wear what you like and sod what anyone else thinks.

rtw | 6 years ago
1 like

We (ASSOS) are currently doing a subscription to Rouleur  (4 issues) if you spend £100 in store. That buys you the T.Mille shorts. They come with our crash replacement / repair too. 

srchar | 6 years ago
2 likes

I used to swear by Howies, then I tried some Assos, which I swore by, then I tried some Rapha Cores, which I currently swear by.

BDP | 6 years ago
0 likes

Assoss - via their own discount on-line shop, can't go wrong

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
0 likes

After years of cheapo Sports Direct type non brand shorts sort of things which were perfectly adequate really. I treated myself to some Castelli Mondial bibshorts in the sales after Christmas. £130 from Tweeks.

Like having your knackers wrapped in silk and caressed by whoever or whatever your preference is.

Definitely race fit only.

Kendalred | 6 years ago
0 likes

La Passione summer bibs. Very good for long hours in the saddle:

https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/man-collection/Products_Bib-Shorts

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not cool enough to warrant a £100 tag but these are the best I've ever purchased:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXRLBS/on-one-raceline-bib-shorts

As is the way, think they were even cheaper than the 20 coins when i got them...

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

I really rate my Lussos and Morvelos, both spot on.  The Lussos are just normal shorts, you don't need the bib stuff, and it makes going to the loo a whole lot easier!

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

Stolen Goat Bodyline - first rate and really good if you're going anywhere hot as they have a mesh-like inner facing on the fabric which acts like a wicking baselayer.  Cool in the summer, warm on colder days.  Good grippers, decent pad.  I'm on my second pair now.  3 hours a day, most days of the week.  Their Bodyline jerseys and Orkan waterproof jerseys etc are also really, really good.  I'm not going to bother going anywhere else now.  Dircet on-line or some from Wiggle and a few retailers.

Stef Marazzi | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've had the lot. Right up to crazy expensive Assos. Can't tell any different between them and Btwin 900 or Merlin Wear Elite bib shorts which are just as well made and less than £50.

Al__S | 6 years ago
1 like

Cheaper- the Howies bib shorts. So good. Yes, only in two sizes- I'm about 180cm/88kg (though they fitted me when I was up at 95kg) and wear the larger size. Comfy, simple, subtle. I love the design- matt black, tiny logo, no panels.

Alessandro | 6 years ago
0 likes

I now excludively use Etxeondo Orhi bibs which are currently on sale at Wiggle for £125ish. I tried various shorts and have just found them to be the most comfortable all round. There are no scratchy labels, no rubber leg grippers to slowly pull your hairs out as you ride, a really comfy pad and a subtle design (some may say the black version is on the boring side but I don't really like logos and writing everywhere and there are other colours available anyway). Despite the lack of rubber leg grippers, I've had no issues with them riding up my leg and I've got little chicken legs. 

I've got two pairs at the moment, the older of which I've used since the beginning of summer 2015 and they still look as good as new. When they eventually die, I'll not be changing - once you've found something that works, especially bibs, it makes little sense to chop and change. 

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/etxeondo-orhi-1617-bib-shorts/

Edit: I forgot to mention the kind of riding I do. I've used these bibs for everything from commuting up to L'Etape last summer which was a lot of hills (including the optional Avoriaz climb...) in the high 30s celcius. Basically, I've sat in these for long periods and never had any issues. 

Latest Comments