Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rose Bikes - bloomin’ awful website and exchange rate issues!

I was interested in a Rose Pro SL 2000 so I checked the Rose Bikes website and saw that that prices were quoted in sterling and euro.

The price in sterling was higher than in euro, so naturally, I opted for euro.  They always say its best to pay in the local currency, in this case the euro as Rose is a German company.  The website showed that the bike was available in a size 55cm frame and initially, all went well with the purchase as I went through the screens, until I got to to the Check & Submit Order screen and an advisory message appeared: The currency has been adapted to the delivery country.

The adapted price, including packaging and delivery, was £907.19, whereas the price in euro, converted into sterling was £869.13 - an adverse reduction of 4.1% and an increase in the price of £37.26.

Rose’s UK representative has since confirmed that it is not possible to pay for goods in euro when the delivery address is in the UK, though their website indicates it is possible - under the list of currencies there is a union flag and the € (as well as with the £); this is for English speakers living in the Eurozone and not for Brits wishing to pay in Euros.  

I aborted the purchase to check the situation with Rose and called them, only to be told that they only had one SL 2000 bike in stock with frame size 61cm , although the website indicated that there were 11 bikes in stock in various sizes, at least 3 of which were the right size for me.  The rep advised there may be issues with the website regarding stock levels and that an improved website will be available later in the year.

So a very unsatisfactory experience with Rose - a complete waste of time, a shame as the bike looked good, so I’ll be sticking with my old Cannondale and saving my money.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Man of Lard | 6 years ago
0 likes

@The_Kaner ParcelMotel is your friend  1

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

Well as I'm in Ireland and pay by Euro...I have no issues with getting cheaper prices by paying in that currency. It certainly was a better experience when I bought from Canyon last year.

It used to be the opposite for me, the online conversion to sterling was crucifying and totally unjust...

...as an example a pair of jeans from Next UK would be £28 and the price to be sent to Ireland was €45...piss being taken out of???

However, I saw an ad on road.cc for ChainreactionCycles for a Mavic helmet costing £39 recently, but the 'converted' price on the website was €139!!!!! when Euro/Ireland was selected from the drop down.

When I attempted to get an answer of why this was from said 'online discount' establishment via their Q and A section for the item (next to their reviews section)...I got a snotty response (automated) that my query did not satisfy the criteria...so I thought fcuk it CRC....I'll buy elsewhere from now on...

boardmanrider | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think you might find this is down to VAT. I have the same 'issue' with bike24.com. Once I've logged in the prices increase slightly (living in Ireland). Uisng a VPN might help but I would image the overall cost is based on the final destination. 

newtonk | 6 years ago
1 like

Shameabout the availability issues, but, regarding your choice - I bought a Rose Pro SL 2000 in 2011 and it cost me £908 delivered back then (the £/euro exchange rate, as I recall, was very poor at that time also).  

The bike is still going strong (though it's battered and bruised!) and is a fantastic bike so the same price now for an updated version (entirely new and presumably improved frame design since then) is an absolute steal I'd say.  

I agree that the website is a bit of a minger like.

sergius | 6 years ago
1 like

I've a Rose, again bought when the £ was stronger so the deal was much better.  The main thing for me is that you can customise with Rose - Canyon you get what you are given.

It took a little while for them to deliver my bike - as you surmised their stock indications on the current site aren't much use.

My bike is lovely at least!

mike the bike replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

...... The main thing for me is that you can customise with Rose - Canyon you get what you are given. ...... 

This is something else that I can't figure out.  The site plainly tells you how to configure your chosen bike but then resolutely prevents you from doing so.  My mind is made up, it will be a Hoy bike for me, from a British shop in good old Britainland, where they will take complaints in English.

peterben | 6 years ago
1 like

I bought a Rose and apart from a slight delay in delivery I had no issues. I can't remember what the price difference was but it was minimal (this was when pound was much stronger). I had originally looked at Canyon but they price to each market and the bike was some £200 more expensive with no ability to pay in Euros. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Try using a VPN?

It's against EU rules to offer a higher price in some countries. That sounds like sharp practice.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes

How timely is your post sir.  I've been weighing up the merits of their Pro SL Disc 4400, which seems a wonderful bike and a bargain too.  But reading your criticism of the website, especially stock levels, has probably steered me towards a UK distributor.  Thanks.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar experience with bike discount, though the difference was pennies and I went ahead with the purchase. I'd much rather have paid in euros too, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Man of Lard replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

dottigirl wrote:

I had a similar experience with bike discount, though the difference was pennies and I went ahead with the purchase. I'd much rather have paid in euros too, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Strangely I've just placed an order with BikeDiscount and paid in € for delivery in the UK... The price did change when I set delivery country to UK, but that is demonstrably because German VAT is 19%, UK is 20% (if you set Denmark as delivery destination, it becomes 25%)

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Man of Lard | 6 years ago
0 likes

Man of Lard wrote:

dottigirl wrote:

Strangely I've just placed an order with BikeDiscount and paid in € for delivery in the UK... The price did change when I set delivery country to UK, but that is demonstrably because German VAT is 19%, UK is 20% (if you set Denmark as delivery destination, it becomes 25%)

Yup, the VAT is why the prices change but shouldn't be to the extent the OP posted.

I've never had issues paying in euros through BD nor Bike24, I also bought a c/set and a cassette from rose less than 2 years ago and was able to pay in Euros, of the three Rose is the more expensive IME.

I hang onto my Nationwide classic credit card, there's basically no fee/exchange rate diff just whatever the VISa spot rate is, same with the Nationwide visa card so brilliant for withdrawing Euros from the hole in the wall.

Latest Comments