Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Luggage advice

I'm cycling the North Coast 500 in June in 7 days. I was originally planning to do it on my Audax tourer, but have decided I need to do it on my Canyon Ultimate AL 8.0 for the sake of my body and my soul. The frame is aluminium with a carbon seat post and there are no lugs to fit panniers.

I need to find a way to carry enough kit for a week (obviously packing as light as possible). I have been looking at large saddle bags and handlebar bags, but would really appreciate any advice from anyone who has done anything similar.

Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to fit a lightweight Tubus Fly rear rack to my Ultimate AL using a Salsa seat clamp with fixing lugs for a rack, and a Tubus stainles J-bend bracket. You need an MTB skewer, but it worked well. However, my Ultimate AL eventually cracked at the brake cable port in the top tube. Maybe that was because of the rack?

//img2.brain3.photobox.com/911923038ac0dd092a19427e091354d5877615b01910187ff2f18542e7449ce90b02f45b.jpg)

wycombewheeler | 6 years ago
0 likes

as an owner of apidura saddle bag. I'd go for caradice sqr. cheaper more waterproof and easier to put on and off the bike than apidura. Also don't wag like a puppies tail.

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Loving the Apidura bags. They have a new waterproof range too, which may be worth the extra $$ if you're doing the NC500. Alpkit also really nice. You're looking at a solid £300 to £500 for a complete setup though, which you will, if you're going for 7 days. 

The days of the touring bike are numbered I reckon. Guys were doing the Indipac race (5500kms) with carbon race bikes there. Saw Tarmacs, Supersix's, Cervelo S3's, Ultimate SLX's.. all sorts. The trendy Curve Ti frames that were on show were really just for bling factor. Titanium repair is harder and rarer than carbon fibre repair I hear. That said, would love a Ti bike for touring, something about metal makes you think it's tougher than carbon. Anyway, with the new bikepacking lightweight kit that's out, you just don't need a full on touring bike. Everything just straps on. 

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

I've been most impressed with the design of Apidura bags. See the pic on this page of the frame bag, and saddle bag.

https://www.apidura.com/shop/

Though, I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to use your tourer. Isn't that the point of the tourer - to be more comfortable over longer distances?

Have you actually planned what you need to take with you yet?

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

my advice is use the audax bike and forget about loading up the lightweight alu based frame because you're making hard work for yourself. I don't understand what aspect of using the audax/tourer is going to destroy your body and soul, is it just that it's a few pounds heavier?

of course it is doable but it'll cost you plenty, it won't be as sturdy a fit as a bike designed to accept racks/guards directly to the frame.

You can fit a pannier rack without the need for eyelets on both the rear and front, frame bags can be useful though can hit your legs on them, bar bags are okay but don't load them with too much kit unless you're used to having the handling affected with the extra weight.

andynic replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

my advice is use the audax bike and forget about loading up the lightweight alu based frame because you're making hard work for yourself. I don't understand what aspect of using the audax/tourer is going to destroy your body and soul, is it just that it's a few pounds heavier?

My Dawes Audax is 20 years old and fine for commuting, but it's a good 5kg heavier than the Canyon and it doesn't make me happy when I ride it, whereas the Canyon does. Wheels, Athena 11 speed groupset, comfort, everything is more enjoyable about the ride. So in some ways it's illogical, but if I have a bike that I love riding then I want to use it.

Thanks for the replies!

Latest Comments