Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Helmet Options.

At the risk of starting a new helmet debate, I am looking to replace my 5+ year old Giro helmet and have a budget of approx £100. Initial thoughts are to stick with Giro and I would welcome reviews from anybody who has recently bought a new helmet. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have ordered Giro Cinder MIPS through Tredz, was cheaper at Chain Reaction, but true to their word Tredz did a price match bringing it down to £89.99.

gonedownhill | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bummer! Not sure why Merlin has them so cheap tbh. They had tonnes of stock in M/L when I got mine in January.

sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

Kask Mojito here, paid around £100 for it with discounts.  I've not used many different ones, but the Kask is a nice improvement on my old cheapish Giro lid.

The thing I like the most is the faux leather strap for some reason  1

ChainedToTheWheel replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

The thing I like the most is the faux leather strap for some reason  1

Because it is comfortable! (got one myself)

gonedownhill | 6 years ago
0 likes

I got spiuk's top of range road helmet for 55 quid, well vented, 250 grams and comes with a clip on cover you can use for aero/rain (never bothered with it myself). Comes in quite a few colour schemes too.

https://www.merlincycles.com/spiuk-dharma-road-helmet-95914.html

Grahamd replied to gonedownhill | 6 years ago
0 likes

gonedownhill wrote:

I got spiuk's top of range road helmet for 55 quid, well vented, 250 grams and comes with a clip on cover you can use for aero/rain (never bothered with it myself). Comes in quite a few colour schemes too. https://www.merlincycles.com/spiuk-dharma-road-helmet-95914.html

Good call and link, not available in my size though.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a Kask infinity, remarkably its as cool to wear as my open vented Giro, even when the vent is closed.  I hardly lift the vent unless its absolutely boiling outside.  Being fully enclosed its rain proof in a downpour

davel replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

I have a Kask infinity, remarkably its as cool to wear as my open vented Giro, even when the vent is closed.  I hardly lift the vent unless its absolutely boiling outside.  Being fully enclosed its rain proof in a downpour

+1

plus it's aero so is guaranteed to save you 40s over 40km at 40km/h*

*or so seems every aero claim anywhere.

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes

Giro Cinder, with or without MIPS. 

Grahamd replied to The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Gavalier wrote:

Was on my list, any further information you can give?

The Gavalier replied to Grahamd | 6 years ago
2 likes

Grahamd wrote:

The Gavalier wrote:

Was on my list, any further information you can give?

basically one down from the top end Synth, but a fair bit cheaper. Looks less like a bunch of bananas on your head. 

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went from a Giro Atmos to a Giro Synthe (no MIPS) for better ventilation. I don't feel my head getting warm one bit in 38C temps, it just has exceptional breathing and light weight. Look around, you should be able to find one for around £117.

Grahamd replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

I went from a Giro Atmos to a Giro Synthe (no MIPS) for better ventilation. I don't feel my head getting warm one bit in 38C temps, it just has exceptional breathing and light weight. Look around, you should be able to find one for around £117.

Thsnks, had thought they were well outside of my budget, will get looking...

SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used Catlike Whispers for many a year and recently went over to Kask Mojitos.

I change lids annually and I'm not sure what to go for this year as I no longer have an affiliation to either...I;m sure budget will be the over arching factor but i'd buy Kask any day of the week.

zippypablo replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
1 like
SingleSpeed wrote:

I used Catlike Whispers for many a year and recently went over to Kask Mojitos.

I change lids annually and I'm not sure what to go for this year as I no longer have an affiliation to either...I;m sure budget will be the over arching factor but i'd buy Kask any day of the week.

Just out of curiosity, why do you change your lid annually? I tend to keep mine for 3 years but have a cheaper, less ventilated one for winter and a lighter, more expensive one for the summer month(s).

SingleSpeed replied to zippypablo | 6 years ago
1 like

zippypablo wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you change your lid annually? I tend to keep mine for 3 years but have a cheaper, less ventilated one for winter and a lighter, more expensive one for the summer month(s).

Partly habit, partly what the manufacturers say and partly because I use the same helmet for road and MTB which does send them through the mill.

barongreenback | 6 years ago
0 likes

I recently acquired a Catlike Mixino, which would just be slightly over your budget at £105 here:

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79991/Catlike_Mixino_Helmet_M...

Bit different looking, keeps my head cool and it's very comfortable.  My previous helmet was a Giro of a similar vintage.  Suspect though that helmet comfort is like shoes - YMMV.

Grahamd replied to barongreenback | 6 years ago
0 likes

barongreenback wrote:

I recently acquired a Catlike Mixino, which would just be slightly over your budget at £105 here:

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/79991/Catlike_Mixino_Helmet_M...

Bit different looking, keeps my head cool and it's very comfortable.  My previous helmet was a Giro of a similar vintage.  Suspect though that helmet comfort is like shoes - YMMV.

Thanks, not quite my style, not that I have much.

Latest Comments