Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Isle of Wight

Hi all,

Speaking to some fellow cxers on the island last weekend they said theyve done a loop of off road, green lane cxing, now that sounds a great way to spend a saturday. i have done a loop of the island on the road, it was lumpy, but nothing too worry you if you are reasoably fit. 

Anyone done this? has anyone got any advice on this? maps?

Malc

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

wheelz | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wonderfull,

thanks people. 

i will endeavour to contact Tim Wiggins as well. 

I see fun times pedalling ahead. 

Al__S | 6 years ago
1 like

If you're on twitter, then Wiggle's marketing manager Tim Wiggins ( @timwiggins1 ) is worth chatting to, he seems to often group rides/tours of the unsrufaced bits of the island (he lives there) and seems the sort of guy who's happy to help

wheelz | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, will give it a bash in the summer. laugh

kil0ran replied to wheelz | 6 years ago
1 like

wheelz wrote:

Bear in mind that the "Undercliff" section to the west of Ventnor is closed due to erosion - you have to head inland a fair bit and over Niton Down  if you're using roads and I'd imagine that's also the case off-road. Don't know whether OS Maps have been updated to include these closures.

mike the bike replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

wheelz wrote:

Bear in mind that the "Undercliff" section to the west of Ventnor is closed due to erosion - you have to head inland a fair bit and over Niton Down  if you're using roads and I'd imagine that's also the case off-road. Don't know whether OS Maps have been updated to include these closures.

Events have overtaken you sir, the road is now open for pedestrians, horses and cycles and is wonderfully free of motorised traffic.

Bill H | 6 years ago
1 like

I enjoyed a six day tour of Hant's and the IoW in March.

Maps - I used the Hampshire and Isle of Wight GoldenEye map. The OS is probably better but it allowed me to use one map rather than taking three OS maps. Two miles to one inch scale and it includes a few circular rides round the Island. The scale meant that I used my phone a couple of times to get the correct turning out of the smaller villages.

If you need to cross the river at Cowes the chain ferry has been retired and a smaller ferry is in operation that involves a few steps to get on board. Might be tricky in cleats. £1 each way fare, the operator likes the exact amount!

The former railway paths are great cop out options if you start to sag, mostly flat or low gradients. Route 23 was particularly good for getting from Cowes to Sandown.

I was on a Moulton and the smaller wheels coped fine with the more agricultural sector stretches of path. This was usually where a piece of path was shoehorned in to create an entirely off road route.

Last tip has to be to visit Winkle Street near Calbourne. Very beautiful.

mike the bike replied to Bill H | 6 years ago
1 like

I enjoyed a six day tour of Hant's and the IoW in March.......If you need to cross the river at Cowes the chain ferry has been retired and a smaller ferry is in operation that involves a few steps to get on board. Might be tricky in cleats. £1 each way fare, the operator likes the exact amount! ......

/quote]

True, but the new, sparkling ferry should be in operation in May 17 and things will be back to their normal, idiosyncratic routine.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
2 likes

If you get the Komoot app (or use their website - https://www.komoot.com) it should produce a mixed terrain route for you. Certainly works for me in the New Forest

Latest Comments