Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel upgrade suggestions...

Looking for a wheel upgrade for the road bike. Currently using Mavic Aksiums. Prepared to push the boat out a wee bit (£350ish max for the pair). Any suggestions? Other than Mavic? Needs to be alloy (obv. at that price) max 32mm deep, for rim brakes.

*edit*

Summer bike use; chaingangs, club runs, the odd race

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Anthony.C | 6 years ago
0 likes

I also had a nightmare getting tyres on and off the rear ultegra (I only had the rear) and with a 25 mm tyre it felt awful to ride. 

srchar | 6 years ago
1 like

The answer to the monthly "wheel upgrade for about 300 quid" thread is always Zondas.

zzk | 6 years ago
1 like

There's lots of good off the peg wheels discounted at all the major retailers, so you need to decide what you want from the wheels, hubs, rims, spokes etc. I have the ultegras on my winter bike, buttery smooth hubs, self serviceable, cup and cone hubs, stayed true to date (3yrs) and have a sublime smooth ride. The downside is that they are tubeless ready and an absolute swine to get tyres on and off.

Fulcrum 3s used to or still may be available in two way fit (tubeless ready) and conventional clinchers. I have a 5yr old pair that have been pretty bomb proof, still running true, no servicing as such to date. Ride is harsher than the ultegras and less informative.

Both good wheel sets, but the ultegras ride closer to a nice hand built set. The latter I am sure feel better as you know what you've asked for, taken advice from an expert and know who's put them together. Usually nicely evenly tensioned and feel "special". If you know a good builder, always worth a chat.

I'm 65kg peak in winter, less in summer, rarely break stuff and notoriously lighy on gear despite 14000km/year riding. If you are a heavier rider your needs will be different to a climbing whippet. Go with your heart and most £300+ wheels will feel special after the Aksiums.

kevvjj replied to zzk | 6 years ago
1 like

zzk wrote:

I have the ultegras on my winter bike, buttery smooth hubs, self serviceable, cup and cone hubs, stayed true to date (3yrs) and have a sublime smooth ride. The downside is that they are tubeless ready and an absolute swine to get tyres on and off.

These are a great wheelset for all the advantages you list. I'm not sure what tyres you are using but I have had no issues whatsoever fitting tyres or getting them off. I have used Micelin Pro4, Conti 4 season, Vredestein Fortezza, all with standard butyl tubes. Currently running Schwalbe Pro 1 tubeless - couldn't have been easier to install - no levers and a track pump.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

I upgraded to Shimano RS81 C24 last year. Made a noticeable difference and have been trouble free. Not to sexiest of brands perhaps but great for me.

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes

I believe that Zondas are actually the same as Fulcrum 3s. They brought out the Fulcrum 3 for those who didn't want campag on their shimano equipped bikes. How about a pair of Ultegra wheels?

drosco | 6 years ago
2 likes

Easy, Zondas.

joeegg | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum Racing 3's.

nortonpdj | 6 years ago
0 likes
BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

when i asked MB at cycleclinic about selling one of an odd pair of carbon rims he had on ebay and building it onto my existing hub he basically said yes but priced me up for one of his highest end hubs instead (The £340 carbon ti) This was a straight pull hub which is exactly what i didn't want and went on to give me some blather about the rims being a pair (they weren't according to his ebay description and were old stock rims) and basically making out he would be doing me a favour splitting them etc etc which given how long he'd have them was bollocks, that was enough for me to go elsewhere.

Depends on what you are wanting to use the wheels for, if it's general road riding then a pair of handbuilt wheels on some sturdy hubs will see you fine, you certainly don't need to spend £350 to get some good wheels for all occasions.

is having a mid depth rim important to you?

Shimano Ultegra with tube/tubeless rims are £285 at Merlin and you can get another 3% back from topcashback https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-wh-6800-clincher-road-wheel...

harman_mogul | 6 years ago
0 likes

Come on chaps give him a proper plug: Malcolm Borg at The Cycle Clinic 

pacef8 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Malcolm borg at the clinic and he knows his stuff.

vonhelmet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Something handbuilt from the cycle clinic. The chap there, I forget his name, should be able to advise you on something that meets your needs and your budget.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments